Garden Bench

wenlaine

About a year ago I found a DIY garden bench on the Internet and I decided yesterday to try one. I had printed out the instructions but have no idea where it was on the net. I would very much like to thank the woman who did the tutorial but all I know is her name is Jo.

Here are a couple of pictures of my attempt.

Wendy

Thanks Melissa! This one is definitely going into my 'To Do' folder. :D

I also really liked the perfume bottles from Kate Henry. I didn't see the instructions there for those. Does anyone know where to find them?

Thanks too Melissa, this time I will save it in my favorites. I had printed it out back when I thought I only wanted to build dollhouses and buy everything else. Little did I know!!!

Teresa, the perfume bottles are made of beads, try it. Don't know about you but I really enjoy that piddly kind of work.

Wendy

What a great flower bench! I must show it to my MIL who is working on creating a Japanese Garden in a really neat mini greenhouse. She has a Asian doll couple from Alice Zinn to inhabit the garden with and I know this bench will be a perfect addition for her to try out in one of her corners, perhaps made in bamboo "sticks"?

Thank you for sharing it!

Hugs

Wendy, that's a gorgeous garden bench! I ooohed and aaahed over it and definitely plan on giving it a try. Melissa, thank you for posting the link. I saved it to my favorites and added it to the to-do list.

Deb

Thanks for all the kind words. Teresa, I have absolutely no idea where the bench might go. I'm kind of stuck for space so I really never thought of doing any kind of outdoor scenery. I just made it because I liked it and thought it would be fun. I put some other pics in webshots of it, and also have some of the perfume bottles I had made in webshots as well under Little Accessories on Pg 2.

As far as burning the matches, I cut off the ends and put them in a plastic cup and left them covered in water overnight and threw them out this morning.

Asian doll couple from Alice Zinn

I always enjoy going to Miniature Memories when I go visit DS#1 because Joan carries so many of Alice's wonderful minis. In addition to an Asian couple & her other dolls, Joan hosts the circus Alice is making, and had several of her wonderful furry dogs, including the new ones that bark!

BTW, Wendy, please do us a tutorial on the plant in your planter.

Holly, you amaze me! I would never have thought about doing a tutorial on the plant. I always bring out the camera after the job is done, never think of it before hand.

I filled the planter with a block of floral foam, covered that with some of my husbands tea leaves crumbled. I have lots of plastic and silk flowers around that I've gathered over the years from dollar stores. Wrapped a small piece of wire in floral tape while attaching it to the small stem of the flowers or leaves and pushed it into the foam. I'm going to make some other types of planters so I will remember to take lots of pictures when I do the arrangements.

Anna, I think it would look gorgeous using bamboo. Make sure your MIL shows us some pictures if she does choose to make it.

Wendy

I think it's the rustic look of it that gives it it's charm

Exactly my thought. I would think the basswood rendering would make it look too Ikea-ish. JMHO & the Ikea look would be spectacular in a formal garden.

We can look through any woodworking magazine and scale down the items in there for out uses as well. I love the look of a teak English Garden Bench it would be some project building it out of basswood or poplar and staining ti with alcohol based analine dyes so that the pigment would not hide thegrain of the wood. Doing mini mortise & tenon hoints would be a challenge though as would doing the slatted back

Ed