Wallpaper glue?

tp1

Ok browsed previous posts but didn't really find what I am looking for. A link to a "How To Guide" would be nice. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Again I'm confused as to what glue to use, what the procedure for application of the paper is and is there any water involved?

There are all sorts of threads here about this. Here's a basic outline:

Some folks use the regular wallpaper paste that you'd use for wallpaper in your "real" house. A tub of this is cheap, and lasts a long time.

Some folks (like me) use Aleen's glue -- the same glue I use for the primary construction of my houses, only I thin it with a bit of water. I "paint" the entire sheet with the glue, then put it on the (primed) wall, smoothing it with an old credit card.

Some folks glue the wallpaper to cardboard templates, instead of directly to the wall --that way, they can easily redecorate, or more importantly, take out the wallpaper to repair lighting behind it.

Some folks use a spray adhesive.

Some folks use Elmer's white glue, thinned like I mentioned with the Aleen's glue.

There are probably more ways to do it than these, but this should get you started.

There's also something called Tru-Bond Seam repair adhesive. It's a glue for wallpaper as well, but used for like when your wallpaper comes apart at the seams and you need a quick glue repair. It comes in a container like the elmers glue. I'm at the same point now, wallpapering and trying to decide if I'm going to just use Aleene's tacky glue or try this wallpaper seam repair glue. I want to get it right the first time. Not have to peel it off and have glue all over the place.. ugghh. I'm thinking tho, that most people here use wallpaper paste. Decisions, decisions!!!!

Good luck, let us know what you do!

Michelle

I use rubber cement ... coat wall and paper, let dry. Start in one corner and sort of roll it on so there aren't bubbles or wrinkles. If it's a bit crooked, can be pulled loose and stuck again. If there's a small bubble, stick it with a pin and gently press the air out with fingertips.

Had a problem with wiring in my Orchid. Pulled back one piece of wallpaper several times over a period of time (months). It pulled away and stuck back again with no problem.

I iron wonder under to the back of the wallpaper and then iron it onto my cardboard templates! Works like a charm! No bubbles! And it lasts forever! Then I glue my baseboard to the templates and all interior window and door trims. Then tack glue it to the dollhouse wall right over wiring, etc....after I drill small holes for the light's wiring through the template and blu tak the lights to the walls over the holes. Makes re-decorating later on a snap! There are other bonding agents you can use besides Wonder Under - but I can't remember the name of the danged stuff!

Wolfie

• 4 weeks later...
I used actual wallpaper paste for real houses and it works really well. If you need to remove the wallpaper for any reason, just dampen it and it comes right off!
So do I, I slap it on with a 1 1/2" paintbrush and lay it on the center part of the wall and gently and carefully smooth it to the corners and then I go over it with a small wooden brayer used for the wallpaper borders & just the right size for dh walls. Once it's completely dry I cut out any doorways, windows, etc.