June Weight Loss Thread

Intrinsicat

Here's a thread for June!

The idea here is to set a goal JUST for the end of the month, usually around a 5 pound weight loss. I can keep a list of names and monthly goals on this first post.

Every week or so I'll have this message updated with everyone's losses (thanks to the higher-ups for helping with the message editing!). For instance, if I lose 1.5 pounds the first week, I'll change mine to 1.5 / 5.0. Best part of doing it this way is you don't have to share your ultimate goal weight, or how much you feel you need to lose all together! But you've still got a group in a thread rooting for you and your short term goal!

If you're interested for May, simply post on this thread something to the effect of "I'm up for this, put me down for X pounds to lose in May!" I'll add your name and goal to this first post. Then all you do is post weekly (or so) losses or PM them to me, and I'll get the edits in the main post. I will put your name in red at the half way mark of your goal and green when you meet goal.

I think I've got the others who gave numbers for May listed below, who else is up for May?

New Day .......... 0.0 / 5.0

Prairigurl .......... 0.0 / 5.0

KathieB .......... 2.0 / 5.0

Nuttiwebgal.......... 0.0 / 10.0

DarrellandMelissa...... 2.0 / 5.0

Missymew .......... 2.5 / 5.0

Jjack ............ 0.0 of 2.5

CuppaTea ............ 1.0 of 5.0

Shy Spirit ............ 2.0 of 5.0

Ms. Mini ............ 4.0 of 5.0

Intrinsicat .......... 5.4 / 5.0

Peachie ............ 5.5 of 5.0

Cjep ............ 3.0 of 5.0

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yippee! the start of a new month :w00t: love fresh starts! im really going to do my best to lost all 5 pounds this month. if i do i will be only 3 pounds away from my 10% body weight loss that weight watchers set for me!

started off my day with some jamba juice for breakfast :) gonna clean up in a few then hit the gym :)

good luck everyone!

Thanks for doing this again, Jen. And Jenny - your positive energy is inspiring! Hope it's also contagious! :w00t:

So far, so good today for me. Still need to work out. Was trying to talk myself out of it, but I have to do it, or I will be angry at myself later.

Traci

Ok, after being bad last night (I gave in to the ice cream temptation--my summer weakness), I hit the gym today with DH. Hopefully it will help make up for it. Since I was able to maintain for the most part the weight I lost at the end of the month by doing the same things and having some bad eating days, this month I'm going to try to exercise more. I think I'm going to try to extend my morning walks and cut back a bit more--less bad days. Those are my goals to lose my 5.0 (and hopefully more) this month.

Hi .. I was on the road and didn't weigh the end of the month. Will report in when I get back to home scales next week. Meanwhile, I'm trying to be reasonable in the face of all of this wonderful food and putting myself down for 5 pounds for June.

I know that I will be having surgery for wl but I wondered if anyone would mind if I joined? I thought I would put down 10lbs for June as I will be going on Liquid diet on the 14th

and would anyone mind if I joined after the surgery also?

nutti :w00t:

I know that I will be having surgery for wl but I wondered if anyone would mind if I joined? I thought I would put down 10lbs for June as I will be going on Liquid diet on the 14th

and would anyone mind if I joined after the surgery also?

nutti :w00t:

Personally, I would be grateful if you joined. It would be wonderful (and inspiring) to share support with someone who is so dedicated to getting healthy! :)

Traci

Thanks for doing this again, Jen. And Jenny - your positive energy is inspiring! Hope it's also contagious!

So far, so good today for me. Still need to work out. Was trying to talk myself out of it, but I have to do it, or I will be angry at myself later.

Traci

Thanks Traci :w00t: i wish you the best of luck this month! you can do it! im feeling good after a very active day.. but tired also. Had a smoothie for breakfast then had some veggies for lunch.. then just had another smoothie :) did my 60 aerobics video today, got some sun... cleaned.. man im pooped now! i have a 6 weeks aerobic video set that i am starting today. see how well i do with it for a month.. I plan on doing the 30 min video before work in the am. then the 45 min video in the evening after work 5 days a week :) i think that will be the boost I need!

and of course we want you to join nutti! we are just one big support system on every aspect of this forum :yikes: you are a big part of this community!

oh my gosh... i am SO sore today. lol guess that means that aerobics tape works! lol

i cant wait for weight in tomorrow!

New people should be added shortly... they've been sent in, including you nutti - EVERYONE is welcome! The more the merrier, and the better the support! Thanks for joinin in!

I've been tracking this weight loss of mine for 5 weeks now in an Excel document. I've lost a grand total of 5 pounds (I suppose that's a pound a week). This time I've been stepping on a fat percentage scale and listing both numbers. Interestingly, on days that I walk more and visit the gym for the weights, the weight jumps up a pound or so, while sedentary days it actually goes down... On the contrary, the fat percentage goes down after weightroom visits and goes up on sedentary days. So while it looks bleak after I've exercised, I'm pretty sure it's an just initial muscle-mass / water weight gain... it's just hard to watch the scale go up AND down, when you just want to see it steadily go down.

But that should make all of you who are starting a gym regimen not get quite as discouraged when your weight goes up after the gym... it's not the fat! It's the muscle you're building that will consequently burn more calories AND fat on those sedentary days - my excel sheet proves it! :banana:

this month hopefully will different for me....I hope to loose the 5 and hopefully more......started out good so far today.....I know we all can do it....its just a matter of time and patience......

been doing good so far this month :groucho: on day 4 of my 6 week "slim in 6" work out program, and still doing the weight watchers program. weight in yesterday and lost the 3 pounds I had gained over that week. so im back to a solid 10 pounds lost. shooting for 2 pounds this week.

eating some yummy cucumber and hummus for breakfast :ohyeah:

OOF! Sorry Nutti, I thought I submitted your name, and now I don't see it... it should be up there soon, along with your weight change Melissa, congrats! I'm happy to report a 2 pound weight loss this week too! In fact, I think this is the first week since we've started this that I can claim a 2 pound weight loss in a week!! I hope I have more of those!

I've been reading this very entertaining dieting book called YOU: The Diet... I think it was mentioned here before. Interesting piece of information: they suggest that variety ISN'T the spice of life... that at least two meals a day should be cookie-cutter because eating a variety of foods actually makes you crave more food. So what are everyone's staple foods when their on a health kick?

I like a handful of almonds when I feel like snacking. But breakfast is the easiest thing for me to do cookie-cutter (probably should use that term 'cookie', huh?) :ohyeah: I have two pieces of wheat toast, put a little butter and preserves on one slice for my sweet tooth and a wedge of herb flavored Laughing Cow Light cheese spread and a poached (nuked) egg on the other. Delicious! And keeps me feeling full until lunch.

finally a break from the rain.

spent 2 hours in my pool yesterday

an hour of it with the Grandbaby. as she has noo fear of the water I am trying to teach her a little safety. like jumping in with her ring on and kicking at the ladder.

I had her floating on her back till she realised nanie was no longer touching her.

hope to swim again today.

I have been drinking a protein shake in the am and late afternoon. this has seemed to take away my cravings for snacking...well most of the time.

been snacking on Melba toast instead of chips.

I start the liquid diet in one week. not looking forward to that. and I am looking forward to it...I know its weird.

TTFN

nutti :ohyeah:

1 hour in pool today

and once around the outside of my house.

tomorrow I am going to go all by myself...coz I want to go during the day while the sun is out. I do like to get some sun at least once or twice in the summer.

Protien drink for Breakfast and sandwich on wheat bread for lunch shake and quizzno's for supper

went for the swim after the quizz....in one week I start the liquide diet and than surgery

how do I tell my best friend to stay away from me?? LOL

I was sick at the beginning of the week and stayed in bed so no exercise. I finally went for my walk today. It felt good to get out and move a bit. I'm back to my low point from last month so I'm at a good starting point.

I am feeling really depressed and discouraged about the whole weight loss thing. I just get so hungry I feel like I have to eat or I'll collapse and then I overeat. But I've already eaten my allotted food for that time of day. I don't understand why I feel this way. There is no reason I should need more calories. I guess I just need more willpower. And yes, I'm spacing out my meals and snacks and all that good stuff.

Yesterday was my son's birthday party and I ate like a pig. That was because we haven't had yummy stuff in the house for a long time. It tasted soooo good. I have to be really disciplined now if I'm going to lose any weight this month.

My goal is to a) really rein in the calories and b ) start exercising every day, even if it's just a short walk.

I just talked to my sister on the phone and she re-joined L.A. Weight Loss last week. She had been on the program before and lost a lot of weight, but had surgery last year and gained some back. She has been struggling to lose the weight and finally decided to re-join. She lost eight pounds in the first week!

Now I gotta compete. A healthy sibling rivalry is good for the waistline.

Well I have to say that I've been a little overwhelmed at work this last month and have been putting in some crazy hours. This was just the excuse I needed to put my weight loss program on the back burner. I seem to be able to call on crazy logic when there are snack treats involved; I'm to busy for a healthy lunch so I'll just eat a couple of handfuls of Doritos instead. I'm sure that many of you are familiar with this absurd reasoning skill that seems to become finally honed when painful sacrifices are involved. It's a common form of sabotage that surfaces at those stressful moments that help justify that "one" cigarette you need or a rush to the ice cream joint. Usually, these event aren't really that stressful, but just compounded by the urges of your favorite vice. I'm writing this in an effort to regain some control before I take my Pop out to lunch today (Japanese). I'm still trying to lose weight, but just not doing a very good job at it! I have gain back most the weight I've lost!

I plan on participating in this months weight loss challenge, but I need to get serous before I post my goals or otherwise they are just meaningless!

I'm glad to see that others are having better luck! You are an inspiration to all of us!

Dean

Christine, don't get discouraged! What kind of snacks do you eat? I've had lots of success with wheat bread, almonds and apples. They really seem to stave off the hunger. And while eating almonds sounds like it would be self-defeating, apparently, almonds and walnuts have some kind of omega fat you need. All the stuff I read says you should have a handful of almonds before big meals. It has the "right stuff" to causes your body to send "full" signals" to your brain much faster than if you start eating a big meal feeling starved and tortured.

I've also found my saving grace is listing all the food I eat in that Sparks guide. Anyone else doing that? It really opened my eyes to exactly how many extra calories I was eating every day (plus it makes the bad foods seem less palatable because I'm going to he held accountable online!)

Don't get discouraged Dean! I had Japanese last night... I did pretty good - getting the california rolls, rice, the sesame salad and the miso soup instead of the big dinner in (insert sauce of choice here)... I also ordered the tempura (not so good for me!!) But they WERE vegetables!!! :congrats:

. I seem to be able to call on crazy logic when there are snack treats involved; I'm to busy for a healthy lunch so I'll just eat a couple of handfuls of Doritos instead.

I can totally relate to that one, Dean!

You mentioned cigarettes... I've never smoked but dontcha wish that you could quit food the way you would quit smoking? Like, if you could just simply stop eating and remove the temptation??? Maybe just drink Ensure 3x a day? (just kidding... I know that you can't do that)

Intrinsicat - thanks for the hint about the almonds. I have been snacking on mixed nuts (including almonds) but I think I've been eating too many of them. I've been eating string cheese - but it's the regular kind, not the "light" kind because I keep them around for DS - and low-fat yogurt and pretzels and rice cakes, things like that. It's just too much carbs, I think, and too much fat in the nuts and cheese. We've also been eating strawberries like crazy but my tummy can't handle any more for a while!!!!

Try just almonds and walnuts... the other nuts are more deadly, I think...

I've also found cutting out any foods with high-fructose corn syrup in them is a real big help. Apparently, the body doesn't know what to do with the stuff, and it's everywhere because it has a long shelf life. But really bad for the diet. Believe it or not it's one of the top ingredients in most yogurts and dressings. I think some companies are putting out products now that don't have the HFCS in them. I love Annie's Natural Raspberry Vinagrette dressing - real sweet and barely any calories or fat, and none of the HFCS garbage. Yogurt it more tough... I'm hoping that new Dannon Naturals doesn't have it, because I'm too lazy to mix plain yogurt with fruit.