The Buttercup

jennybee

So I have been working on my very first dollhouse and the kit is a Buttercup. Already I have become addicted. Now if only there was a dollshop closer I could start gathering my inside items.

Right now its just white stucco (sp?) effect on the outside and inside walls. The stucco effect was made from starch & acrylic paint. Then the front entry with the stone look is from paper egg cartons painted and sealed then grouted. I think i need another layer of grout tho cause some spots are a little thinner then others. ALso the entry flooring is made from paper clay then painted. I still have a ways to go but I just thought I'd show you a few pictures. I must say you all are a great soruce for inspiration - this forum is packed with great stuff!

post-837-1157631198_thumb.jpgpost-837-1157631225_thumb.jpgpost-837-1157631239_thumb.jpg

Jenn, it looks great. And this is your first dollhouse! You really are inspired because the egg cartons look realistic and your paperclay stones in the entry are very nice. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Thanks Josi

Yeppers, my very first house. I know a lot of people on here use paper clay for the stones but I wasen't brave enough - well not yet. Maybe I'll save that for the roof. :blink: I was really surprised tho that the front and the sides only took the top of the egg carton, now I have enough left to make a fireplace and maybe stones for a path. The possibilities are endless. Pretty soon I will need a second house to work on lol

Right now its just white stucco (sp?) effect on the outside and inside walls. The stucco effect was made from starch & acrylic paint. Then post-837-1157631198_thumb.jpgpost-837-1157631225_thumb.jpgpost-837-1157631239_thumb.jpg

I really love what you have accomlished so far, really impressive!

Now I got curious about your mentioning how you created your stucco effect, what kind of starch did you use????

Mini-hugs

I really love what you have accomlished so far, really impressive!

Now I got curious about your mentioning how you created your stucco effect, what kind of starch did you use????

Mini-hugs

Anna,

I can't remember where I found it on the web but someone used your standard stock thickner - corn starch.

You mix it with what ever color acrylic paint you want then mix until you get it the thickness like cake/pancakes batter. Then just lather it on. I'll try to take a closer picture so you can see what it looks like. I just used white paint cause I had a lot of it and i wanted to do the inside at the same time. But I'll be putting a wash over it in gray tones next.

I love your stonework also!

I started a project with that method but I haven finished it yet

seeing yours does inspire a person!

any particular theme for this house? oe is it one of those try new things out on houses

I would love a close up of the wall texture.

I have never heard of this idea and am intriged.

you are doing a very nice job on this lil beauty!

nutti :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Whew what a week...

I have some updated pics of the new stuff I've done

First pic is a closer view of the acrylic paint/corn starch wall texture.. (I made this image kinda large but it was so you can see the texture)

post-837-1158688780_thumb.jpg

Next is the stone windows - I'm not sure if i really like them yet but their glued on lol

post-837-1158688977_thumb.jpg

Lastley (sp?) is the wallpapering for the upstairs - kinda reminds me of Hogwarts. I did the inside walls of the arch in white to help make it not so dark.

post-837-1158688925_thumb.jpg

I also made the great trek to the dollstore and got carpet for the upstairs and wood flooring for the first floor. But that will have to wait till after i get the roof done.

Tracy - if you don't mind me asking did you freehand the roof tiles you made out of paper clay or did you drape them over something to help with the shape? I really like how you make yours :lol:

Thanks for looking,

Jenn

did you say you used regular corn starch for the thickner?

is it a sandy texture?

I am going to have to try it out because I LOVE the texture.

from what I can tell from photos it looks better than the Tissue method I like to use

but will bugs eat the house? from the cornstartch?

nutti :lol:

Tracy - if you don't mind me asking did you freehand the roof tiles you made out of paper clay or did you drape them over something to help with the shape? I really like how you make yours

I did them freehand. I did just like David shows in his Orchid blog. Click the link to see it. I did it the same way :lol:

I love the tissue effect too. Your house is looking WONDERFUL!!!

did you say you used regular corn starch for the thickner?

is it a sandy texture?

I am going to have to try it out because I LOVE the texture.

from what I can tell from photos it looks better than the Tissue method I like to use

but will bugs eat the house? from the cornstartch?

nutti :lol:

The corn starch I used was a powder so when mixed with acrylic paint it was very smooth in texture and as i painted it on thick it made the waves. Also I'm not really sure about the bug aspect but maybe it seals it as i paint because of the acrylic paint mixed with it. Once I'm completely done I intend to seal the paint so maybe it will unattrack them but so far I have not seen any. But I will be doing some internet research about that. I can just see it now my first dollhosue and 3 months into my dolls moving in I would have to tent it. :D

Also thanks for the link Tracy that will help me alot.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful! Anymore pictures?

Thanks

I'm kinda stuck on the roof right now....

I want to do paperclay but not sure if I should make tiles and let them dry then glue on.

Or put them on wet and hope it dosen't shrink too much.

Or do strips on the roof and rough up the look...

Ugh any thoughts, I'm open to suggestions?

But in the meantime to get the mini fix I have been working on a shadow box from the paper mache books that open from Micheals. It will be the second one in the Hogwarts series I am making for my mom.

Its going to be the window view of Honey Dukes (plus it gives me sweets practice for the upcoming mini swap I would like to join.)

I still haven't tried paperclay yet so i can't offer any suggestions...Tracy is the paperclay guru I'm sure she can help you!

I am so inspired by your house, it's really pretty. I may try the look on my buttercup!

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha I learned a new lesson today...

One can never have enough paperclay...

I decided to work on my roof today and it was going really well and I was having fun and then.....I ran out

But its ok - this way i can think on what colors to use to wash it.

:whistle: post-837-1161551573_thumb.jpgpost-837-1161551601_thumb.jpg