I got my Japanese Dollhouse kit!!!

kathi17

It came in a huge box, that the UPS man could hardly lift!

It's really exciting, over 100 smaller kits were in that box, so it was like getting over 100 Christmas presents! I'm sorting them out now, and I'm up to 59, so I'm halfway there.

I'll post pictures when I get settled a bit.

Thank you so much Aggiemae!!!

edit:a few photos are in my album.

• Like 1

Thanks girls, I've been working on it for a few hours. I haven't got enough done to take pictures of yet though.

My mother is 85, so I spend a few hour a day up there, helping with what she can't do, or just watching tv and doing crafts with her. While at her house, I started on a table and chair that came with the kit. Those I'm painting black, and am going to try to make them look like lacquer.

Tonight after dinner, while my husband and I watched a DVD, I started sanding, staining and putting together parts of the entry that go under that fancy arch thing.

I figure I can work on accessories at my mother's, and the house while I'm at home.

For the house, I'm using a Walnut Minwax for stain. We can only get four colors of stain here on the island, and I kind of wish it wasn't so dark, but after buying a quart for $16, (it doesn't come in smaller sizes), I don't want to switch colors. I tried to get some stain at the totally useless Walmart when we were off the island last weekend, but of course our Walmart doesn't sell stain any more, so I had to take what I could get here.

It will look fine, but it's not the color I would have chosen if I had a choice.

For the outside walls, I'm going to use the same Behr French Cream paint that I used on my grandsons' dollhouses at Christmas time.

Another forum member did one, and hers is gorgeous. It's on her blog here: http://japanesedollshouse.blogspot.com/

I had to pack the box at ups and it took two people to put it on the scale. I fell bad for your ups delivery person. I was more than a little surprised that ups ships packaged up to 150 lbs, though the box I sent you is the largest size they allow without a fairly high surcharge. It's a good thing the house wasn't in 120 boxes! 

If you are going for a lacquer look, I suggest you wipe everything down with a tack cloth before painting. Every speck of dust shows on such a small scale.

Have fun building your new house!

Sorry I haven't been on here,  we lost our Internet on Wednesday night,  and they still haven't restored it. I'm off the island stealing someone's WiFi with my cell phone. I hope I can get back online soon.  House is coming along nicely! 

Very cool Kathi! I found your blog but I don't see a "follow" button.  Usually I follow people's blogs so I get an email or something when there is an update.

Anyhow... I just used regular acrylic paints for staining.  I could mix and match easier than actual stain.  I think you should be able to dilute the stain and put a quantity into a jar.  There are LOTS of pieces that need staining and the color has to be consistant. 

Keep up the work!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pavluv Pane said:

Very cool Kathi! I found your blog but I don't see a "follow" button.  Usually I follow people's blogs so I get an email or something when there is an update.

Anyhow... I just used regular acrylic paints for staining.  I could mix and match easier than actual stain.  I think you should be able to dilute the stain and put a quantity into a jar.  There are LOTS of pieces that need staining and the color has to be consistant. 

Keep up the work!!

Hi Peggy, I haven't been able to find the gadgets to my blog. I lost internet the day after I started the blog, and just got it back a couple of hours ago. I am using a popup blocker, so that may be why I can't drag and drop my gadgets or whatever they are called. I'm going to try to find them either today or tomorrow, either using Chrome, or disabling the blocker in Firefox.

It was disappointing, because I was trying to add your blog.

I have the whole portico done except the wainscotting, the kitchen floor and platform are ready, but I made some cardboard slates, and I need to finish the kitchen walls before I put them on the floor. Since they will be raised up a bit, I think it will be better to put them on after I figure out how much the walls will overlap the floor.

I've also done a couple of doors, chairs, etc as they come up in the kits. I'll try to get photos uploaded to my album and blog as soon as I get a chance. It's so good to be back on line again!

Some of my walls are warped too, but I'm managing. My kit only came in 110 boxes, rather than 120, and didn't contain the tools that yours did. Would it be okay if I include one of your photos of the blister packs next to one of mine, (giving you credit of course), to show the difference between the Japanese and the Italian versions?

Once I get a photo of mine up, you would be welcome to do the same if you wish.

Bummer bout the tools. They are pretty useful. But you'll do fine without them. Saw some pics on Pinterest and I love the deep brown stain. Very rich. Bummer bout the warping too. Some pieces can be straightened and you should. Otherwise down the line things won't match up. Trust me. 

Sure you can use or link to my pics. Looks like the japanese blister pacs were sturdier than mine. Cool tho! Hope you can fix yr blog too. :-)

• Like 1

I'm going to try to get something done on the blog now, it probably won't be a lot because I really should start dinner by 6:00 pm, but at least I have a few minutes to work on it!

I used regular oil based stain because I figured at least that won't warp the trim, but I'm not surprised that the walls have warped, my kit was made in 2005 and 2006, so it has been a while!

I downloaded some translators that work with my phone's camera. I haven't tried them yet, but hopefully they'll help.

I'm starting kit 6 now!