Altered Books

Deb

Because it's impossible for me to not have some kind of creative outlet at all times, I've had to come up with a "light" form of art that I can do without putting a lot of stress on my hands.....something that I can stop and walk away from at any given moment if I suddenly need to rest. (Narcoleptic attacks when you're in the middle of gluing wallpaper can lead to disastrous results) I wanted it to be something that could also be a little therapeutic and act as an emotional outlet too.

Then I remembered an art form that had fascinated me before I got involved with minis; one that I had intended to pursue and then forgot about---altered books! (The journal style, not the carved ones.) Because they're mixed medium, they're perfect for blending my textiles and miniatures into a new form of art. It's all free form and very, very expressive which means that not even I know what it's going to look like until it's done. I can use everything in my stash from paints and laces and fabrics to shutters and doors and sheets of wallpaper and the books are cheap at second hand stores so it didn't even require a financial investment.

I'm puttering with my first book which is mostly trying out and practicing various techniques and I'm having lots of fun with it. This book is definitely an experimental torture book but it's taking me outside of my comfort zone artistically and that's good. Yesterday I covered a page with lace and then painted it gold so now it looks like embossed metal and I love the contradiction between the soft textile design and the hard metal finish. This is something that I can do on a dollhouse or furniture too so it made me even happier to have tried something new. The fact that each page can be it's own entity and doesn't always take a long time to complete is helping me on days when my attention span is shorter than a gnat's knees. It's definitely not going to be the passion that miniatures are for me, but I can incorporate minis into it and that makes me feel connected again. :2nd:

So is there anyone else here who does altered books?

Deb

• Like 1

I went through quite a long spell of creating them. Haven't done one in a long time but I always found them to be quite healing.

I put all manner of things in and on them. I wrote stories and poetry in some, added quotes and inner thoughts and Bible verses, used collages of photos and drawings, lots of ribbon and fabric and some of my weavings too. I love to add buttons and beads and jewels, secret pockets, fold out sections, velum and other translucent materials, in love with rice papers and fancy hand made papers (not made by me though), and on it goes for my wacko brain. I lo-o-o-o-ove making them.

Go girl ... it is a fantastic segue back into minis. Tons of crossover tools.

• Like 1

If you type in altered book ideas in google images you'll get a pretty good idea of what they might look like.

Basically, they are a personal experience translated into a book type form. For example, if you went on a special trip to a faraway place, you might create one as an expression of how it impacted you - different from a scrapbook of photos - it's more an experiential record of something. I made some during some extremely stressful times in our family. They had different themes but they each held a record of my perception of what I was experiencing at the time.

They can be done on a more technical level of just loving to create things that look different and are unique as well but more often they have a "story" that goes with them.

To summarize - They are an artistic expression either just on a cover with blank pages to fill in - journal style - later on or they can be a complete book of a journey in ones life done with great artistic tools and ideas.

• Like 4

Thanks Selkie! I would love to see pictures of some of your work if there are any that you are comfortable with sharing. I really appreciate your reinforcement that this is a positive move to getting back into miniatures. In the book I'm working on now I plan on making a niche in the back with a mini bookcase inside it just because I love the irony of hiding a bookcase full of books inside a book. This one seems to want to be all about Nature........both Mother Nature and Human Nature so it's going to have some interesting things in it. I have a mental image of a volcano with beaded lava and hope it comes out well. I have a smaller children's book with nice, stiff pages set aside that is going to be a tribute to the strong women who have influenced my life and I'm eager to work on that one too. The cool thing about altered books is being able to have more than one in progress at the same time since they don't take up much space on the work table.

The hardest part for me has been getting past a lifetime of treating books with reverence and ripping one up like this. LOL! My father would roll in his grave if he ever saw me painting the pages of a book! Fortunately I had a couple of old books with sewn spines to use including one printed on nice thick paper with rough edges that looks much older than it is. That one has some character to it and should be fun to work with. After I have a little more experience, I'll move to the real treasure I had in my bookcase........an old copy of "Leaves of Gold" with leather covers and a laced spine. That structure of that book is perfect for altering.

Deb

Here are links for a few websites I've found that have helped me get started or have some inspirational eye candy.

http://www.earmark-decorative-painting-studio.com/how-to-make-altered-books.html

http://gomakesomething.com/category/ht/ab/ (this one has a whole section of printies that work for 1:12 scale too)

An index of interesting techniques: http://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/p/tutorials.html

This tutorial really caught my eye because it's a simply (and arthritis friendly) way of making a niche for minis inside a book using foam core instead of carving thru pages. http://gomakesomething.com/ht/ab/foamcoreniche/

That's all I've got so far so any additions would be appreciated.

Deb

Deb, you can check out your local library for discard books as a resource. Ours have them for free sometimes and sometimes a dollar a bag. They are either ones that are already damaged some or were not popular off the shelves. It doesn't feel so much like desecration that way for me anyhow. Thrift stores are another option for sources. I love the cardboard children's ones. They lend themselves to lots of abuse of applications without breaking down. I don't feel too badly with some of the weird ones I see out there for little people. I feel I'm making them better.

I have an idea of a tools of life theme book for sometime in the future that features my love of working with my hands - feeling textures, lots of rough, smooth, and in-between, collecting possibilities and creating "stuff".

Love the bookcase in the book idea, btw.

Those links are some places I have visited in the past. Hope we get some other folks interested too.

The techniques for miniatures are certainly applicable in this arena as well.

I really the like the link with the foamcore niche-wow! What fun! You could really pull off a fun mini surprise for someone,and as Selkie says,secondhand books are inexpensive. I'd be forever getting it done,as I am so slow at everything,but I am keeping this in mind for Christmas!! Thanx,ladies! :)

I don't know if this counts, but I was once snooping around my older brother's room...happened to pick up a large interesting looking book, opened it, and inside found that he had hollowed out a square section, painted the inside of the hollowed out part and was using the space to hide certain "herbal" paraphernalia from our Mother ;-) Very creative altered book.

I had bought a book about this once (altered books) I also think its super cool, but, like you, had put it on the back burner and forgotten about it. Altered mini books would be neato too. Have fun :)

• Like 1

I don't know if this counts, but I was once snooping around my older brother's room...happened to pick up a large interesting looking book, opened it, and inside found that he had hollowed out a square section, painted the inside of the hollowed out part and was using the space to hide certain "herbal" paraphernalia from our Mother ;-) Very creative altered book.

So, Karin, do we tsk tsk you for snooping :giggle: or tsk tsk him for hiding his stash? :laughbounce:

• Like 3

Karin,your brother sounds a lot like my late younger brother. That boy had some real kahunas-he once planted a certain herb in a ceramic pot and put it right in his bedroom window when he was about 16. When my innocent little mother finally did see it,she said "Oh,I didn't know you liked houseplants! What kind is this?" I don't recall his reply,but it put her off the trail awhile longer until one of us siblings finally squealed on him!

I just keep thinking of all the cute scenes you could put in the hidden foamcore niche.The mini bookcase would be my first try,I think. Also,anything related to the book subject itself,of course. I do need to go research images of the actual altered books Selkie and Deb are speaking of-my brain just can't conjure an image,but I'm sure they are awesome!!

Lol, Selkie in my defense I was only about 12 and that same day I found the Lord of The Rings trilogy in his bookcase and cracked THAT book open for the first time also. It was years later before I realized what he was hiding in the really big book ;-)

Wow Kat...that is nervy LOL...hidden in plain sight ;)

• Like 1

I do need to go research images of the actual altered books Selkie and Deb are speaking of-my brain just can't conjure an image,but I'm sure they are awesome!!

An altered book is a sort of personal thing, imo. Of course, something like that can be technically constructed and sold, etc. by someone who is clever and artistic in a technical sense.

But, for me, an altered book has no formula to it's creation. It is a book of sorts and that is about the only common thing to any or all of them. They are an artistic creation that tells a personal story. So to make a checklist or a technique of it, kind of goes against the creative process that I envision. Of course this is only my opinion and my experience. How others choose to use or apply things is 100% fine with me. Just taking time to say, here's how I came to view the process.

I've made them for years and have never been taught any how-to method. In fact, I didn't know they had a name or craft title until the last few years. I just made them out of my head. That said, of course, I have learned tricks of the trade along the way as in, better glues to use or new ways to clamp something, or funky paints or tools, etc. but the creation itself, is, for me, more intangible, mysterious, more eclectic, more illusive than just a set of methods or how-to's.

When I create one, it's usually out of an emotional urge/need - a hurt to be worked through, a dilemma/crisis to solve, a health issue to accept, a personal loss to grieve, or on the positive side, a new life event like a birth, marriage, new home, or other big event in ones life. It's an artistic way to express something that either is too personal to say in words alone, or too illusive to put into any writings or music. The art process is the method of expression rather than a word or anything more concrete.

It's kind of like taking something like a cloud and capturing it through an artistic expression - something that you think you can see but cannot grab ahold of to feel or touch in any real sense.

So, now that I sound like a total fruit cake, yes, please go ahead and shake your head and laugh, I'll tell folks that, by trade, I'm an art therapist. That's where the function of these books was used as a true therapeutic healing vehicle for those who were not able to speak of their atrocities and needed a way to find their way back to their voice in order to recover.

They are a transforming thing to try. Let the process speak to and through you rather than any rules about how it "should" be done. Good luck to all who venture there.

• Like 6

Selkie, I don't think you're crazy at all. In fact, what you've written puts words to how I feel. The research that I've done and the how-to articles were information I wanted to know before I started just to ensure that I would know the technical aspects about how to prepare a book or what kinds of paints/glues wouldn't buckle the paper or how to add a cool feature like shrines and fold outs in a way that wouldn't destroy the book but from the creation standpoint, it's probably the best emotional outlet that I could work with right now. I like that I can do light work with them that can be displayed but I can also reach into my soul and pour it all into a book that only my eyes will see.

When I create one, it's usually out of an emotional urge/need - a hurt to be worked through, a dilemma/crisis to solve, a health issue to accept, a personal loss to grieve, or on the positive side, a new life event like a birth, marriage, new home, or other big event in ones life. It's an artistic way to express something that either is too personal to say in words alone, or too illusive to put into any writings or music. The art process is the method of expression rather than a word or anything more concrete.

<nodding in agreement> About two years ago I saw a psychiatrist for about a year to help me work thru the trauma, grief, and loss of all my health issues and along the way we discussed my childhood and first marriage too. But it was still almost the full year before I felt comfortable enough to show him two textile pieces that I had done about abuse and surviving. They were pretty intense but doing them was probably better therapy than anything else I could have done. He was taken aback for just a bit but he really liked them. For years they'd been in a box in the very back corner of the top shelf in the closet but when I stopped seeing Dr Fine, I decided to give them to him. It was time for me to literally and figuratively take those emotions out of the dark closet where I'd stashed them and let them go. It seemed right to give them into the safekeeping of my shrink too. One of them hangs in the waiting room of his office and the other in his home office. However, there's a third piece that I never showed him because the lesson it taught me was one so private that it has to stay between me and my soul.

I'll tell folks that, by trade, I'm an art therapist.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I've been going thru the books of Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes in audio form (she does her own narration and some of them are from her seminars). Her work is primarily with artistic/gifted women suffering from PTSD so of course it feels like she's speaking directly to me. But in her books I've learned so much about my creative self and why it's so vital that I have some kind of creative outlet. As I listen to her books, I write in my journal.....sometimes taking notes and sometimes having discussions with myself about what she's talking about. It's been incredibly helpful to me even tho I was laying in bed at the time. It kept motivating me because I'd think, "I'll put that into action as soon as I'm a little better and can get into the studio". I saved one of her books because I know that as soon as I start it, it'll put me into The Zone and I'll start working on something while I listen. I've been eagerly and nervously awaiting getting better and then getting moved but now that the dust has settled and I'm upright again, the time is now. It's probably not a coincidence that I remembered the altered books at the same time that my mind and body said they're ready to do some heavy lifting in my psyche.

Deb

• Like 1

Selkie, I don't think you're crazy at all.

.... But it was still almost the full year before I felt comfortable enough to show him two textile pieces that I had done about abuse and surviving. They were pretty intense but doing them was probably better therapy than anything else I could have done.

.... I've been going thru the books of Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes in audio form (she does her own narration and some of them are from her seminars). Her work is primarily with artistic/gifted women suffering from PTSD so of course it feels like she's speaking directly to me. But in her books I've learned so much about my creative self and why it's so vital that I have some kind of creative outlet.

Thanks Deb. Sometimes I'm not sure how I sound on paper. I know what is in my heart but it doesn't always translate in a post.

Textiles are another great medium for healing. I adore fabric and the textures and feel of the cloth in my hands. I've made some unusual pieces over the years that are part of my life process.

Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes is one of my favorite authors. I got to meet her in person once which was absolutely thrilling. She is so peaceful and calm and talks in person just like on the audio books. She is who she says she is. No fakeness. Her book, Women Who Run with the Wolves has the story of the Selkies from which I chose my online persona. Her audio books are very challenging but enjoyable at the same time.

I'm so glad you have found ways to cope and begin that process of stepping forward. Please know that although, we get all excited because you are here, I know it's not my intention to put pressure on you in any way. Be yourself in your own timing. Just trust your instincts and trust your friends. Hugs ...

Hello fellow altered bookmakers!

I started making altered books when I was a teenager. I would collage all kinds of pictures from magazines together in my school diaries as soon as the dates were past. Other kids in class would borrow my diary and look at all the pages whenever they could, it was a nice validation of personal expression and I never got teased over it (thankfully).

Found scrapbooking in 1997 and blossomed! Trained as a teacher and my home-based business added a lot of stuff to my stash: about 10 cases full of craft punches, two cabinets full of rubber stamps, 3 HUGE cabinets full of 12x12 paper, four big folders full of stencils, every single scissor ever created by Fiskars, Die Cutter and cabinet full of alphabet die sets. I learnt to invest in tools big-time and most of them paid themselves off within months.

Then, 9 years ago when I arrived in Dubai, I created a class to teach Altered Books at the new Community Art Centre. Wherever I found 2nd hand books, I grabbed them - including a complete set of Encyclopedias with blue covers - because they go with my interior design colour scheme and I can then create art on the inside. Note, they are still untouched 8 years later! Every trip to South Africa I hunted at the antique shops for old books and ephemera. Add boxes of wool, lace, beads, buttons, old postage stamps, cling-on rubber stamp sheets, stencils, paints, inks, old LP records, you name it... I have it ......IN BULK. Throw in sample books of wallpaper and upholstery fabrics (about another 9 of those big ones).

Two years ago I started quilting (and managed to acquire 5 sewing machines in one year) - add 8 tubs of fabric, 3 trolley cabinets of fabric and a Go Die cutter with large tub full of dies.

I own almost every book ever written on altered books, mixed media, art quilts and my favourite artists and designs in their own dedicated bookshelf.

post-28022-0-35543500-1392443567_thumb.j

I've had to buy a new shelf to start keeping all the dollhouse and miniatures books in, as this shelf is already overflowing.

All in all, it is these books in this shelf that have been my therapy over many years. I just grab a book, read it from cover to cover (again) and instantly get my head space back in order.

Sometimes, when I'm itching to make something - I let my materials speak to me. I can sit for HOURS just going through my various stashes and enjoy the colours or textures of the objects. I also have about 6 or so large projects on the go - sometimes they sit and percolate for a few years before I get back to them. I never have enough time to do everything I want to do and I am way behind on scrapbooking my daughters' albums.

I buy clothes grudgingly, see the hairdresser as little as possible and don't buy shoes, handbags or makeup. Money I earn, goes straight back into my "art & creativity". If I had had to pay a psychiatrist for therapy over the past 20 years, it would have cost more than my stash did, so I figure it is worth it.

My husband never understood my connection to these things, but now that my daughters are getting older (4 and 6 now), they enjoy playing with some of the items and using the tools and I like seeing how creative they can get with all the odd little things they find. And it is way cheaper than to buy overpriced toys nowadays at the toy stores.

Have you read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children? I love how the author used discarded vintage photographs to create a story. I wish more books were like that. If you want a list of my favourite books, I'll post them separately. Some books do tend to run on the same things over and over again, and others are like a breath of fresh air.

Lol, Selkie in my defense I was only about 12 and that same day I found the Lord of The Rings trilogy in his bookcase and cracked THAT book open for the first time also. It was years later before I realized what he was hiding in the really big book ;-)

Wow Kat...that is nervy LOL...hidden in plain sight ;)

Obviously your brother was much smarter than mine. Instead of a good book, I found nudie magazines in his room.....but it evened out because I hid my stash in his closet. I figured if it was ever found I'd say it was his because he was gullible enough to believe me if I told him that I'd seen him put it there himself but he was just too stoned to remember it. <evil grin>

Textiles are another great medium for healing. I adore fabric and the textures and feel of the cloth in my hands. I've made some unusual pieces over the years that are part of my life process.

Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes is one of my favorite authors. I got to meet her in person once which was absolutely thrilling. She is so peaceful and calm and talks in person just like on the audio books. She is who she says she is. No fakeness. Her book,Women Who Run with the Wolves has the story of the Selkies from which I chose my online persona. Her audio books are very challenging but enjoyable at the same time.

I got out my fabric paints today! Now I need to find where I put my silks and tools but as soon as I do, I have some ideas for using my oil pastels along with the paints and see what kind of effect I get. It's exciting that you got to meet Dr Estes in person! She lives just outside of Denver but I never got the chance to go hear her speak. I read Women Who Run With the Wolves right after my first divorce during a time when my ex was stalking me and the book changed my life. It empowered me more than anything else I'd ever done because it explained so much about me that I hadn't understood before. When I found her Wise Women Archetype series, it resonated with me even more and I've continued learning thru her other books ever since.

I'm so glad you have found ways to cope and begin that process of stepping forward. Please know that although, we get all excited because you are here, I know it's not my intention to put pressure on you in any way. Be yourself in your own timing. Just trust your instincts and trust your friends. Hugs ...

It's being able to trust my friends here that has brought me back. I've been socially isolated for so long that it's been difficult to reach out to people again. But I was talking to Tracy the other day and when she mentioned the forum, it clicked in my brain........this has always been my online home where I felt safe and secure. My best friends in real life are people that I met here. So it makes sense that coming back into the real world means coming home again and here I am!

Sometimes, when I'm itching to make something - I let my materials speak to me. I can sit for HOURS just going through my various stashes and enjoy the colours or textures of the objects.

A-ha! You're another stash junkie!! <grinning> So am I. I never met a bead that I didn't like which is why there are millions of them running around here like little containers full of shiny minions just waiting for my command to get up and go sparkle something. The fabric, ribbons, lace, trims, books, sewing machines (I have a baby Janome that's the love of my life), paints, dyes, thread, hoops, needles, unfinished projects and other textile stuff takes up one room. Across the hall is the studio with all the dollhouse kits, supplies and tools I need for building and other projects. There's a whole section devoted to steampunk pieces including three skeleton clocks still in the boxes that I intend to disassemble for parts. The bad thing (or maybe it's a good thing) is that when we moved in December, I cleaned out my studio and got rid of 2/3s of what I used to have!!! But I also go sit and pet the textiles or run my fingers thru the beads or dig thru whatever catches my eye just for the sensory experience. Sometimes I sit quietly and wait for the little voice calling me to the next project and that's always special when it happens naturally because the medium had something in particular it wanted to be. Other times I beat stuff into submission. LOL!!!

I'm really glad that we're having this conversation because it's sooooooooo wonderful to talk to other people who share the passion for creativity no matter what form it takes. Whether we're making something that our soul guides us to do, or creating something that exists simply for its beauty or character, or following the whims of the mediums that we love, it's all because of that passion inside us that we can't ignore. It's our oxygen and I love talking to other artists who "get it". I think we're a special breed and we need each other in our lives so we don't feel isolated because we're not like other people. <whispering> I've noticed that other people think we're kind of weird and say that we dress funny. hehehehehehehehe

Deb

• Like 3

Stacey,I cannot wait to see what you come up with-that is if you want to share it with us.

I'm still a little bemused by this subject,as some altered books seem to be artistic endeavors to be displayed,but what Selkie and Deb seem to describe are private and healing. Either way,it's touching and beautiful to read about.

I am (obviously to some) a bit of a social misfit and a hermit,due to having extreme chemical fragrance allergies that limit where I can freely go,so this 'place' is a haven to come to,beyond the dollhouse/miniatures aspect. That is the common thing that brings us here,but it's almost like turning the pages of a book,reading everyone's daily stories,their life challenges,their joyful accomplishments,etc. I love it! Deb,you are something else,and I am thoroughly enjoying getting to 'know' you!:)

I love altered arts.And am so glad that my "hoarding" is normal......lol. It seems that every corner of my house has some supply,or project

that "talks" to me. My daughter and i also alter cigar boxes. We paint, stencil, paper, stamp and embellish them. She gives them away to people

to make them feel good.(It's my therapy)

Miniatures are an escape into imagination, any possibility. Doesn't have to be perfect,like altered art. The imperfect is wonderful.

Forgive my rambling........

Gail :bear:

• Like 2