I dont think its fair!

nuttiwebgal

*this is in no way a mean post..i just got a lil worked up..I realized something...I dont want to cook on Thanksgiving either.. Who wants to come with me to kidnap Lynette for the day?*

I'll help kidnap Lynette too. Think of all the lovely minis we might find!!! Sounds like a plan to me and the best part would be quality time spent with friends and no dishes to wash.

DH says he has NOOOO problem with us not hosting turky day!

he says a resturaunt will be cheeper and no mess before or after....as long as he still gets his 12lb turkey for sandwhiches.

I was a tad stressed thinking about cooking and tasting each dish....I mean how do you know if its good? so I am reserving us a place at the local Buffet. wonder how many will be joining us?

nutti :)

how do I tell my mommy? ;)

Mummy will be relieved that you aren't going to be stressed out, and physically overwhelmed. She will love the idea of going to the buffet, and enjoying a fun, relaxing day with her amazing daughter, and family. :)

If she doesn't .... what's wrong with this picture?

how do I tell my mommy? :p

She will understand. And if not, that's her baggage, not yours. Good Lord, these people should be giving you a standing ovation, not expecting you to cook a thanksgiving feast for them... ;) :) Good for your husband for standing by you on this very healthy and NOT SELFISH decision.

Nutti, good for you.

I'm all for clearing the holidays of all the stresses that are put on those who's "duty" it is to make the days special for everybody else. EVERYBODY should get to enjoy the holidays. I think that a great way to do this is to have "pot luck" where everybody has to make or bring one dish. If somebody is unable to cook a dish, they could bring buns, butter, coffee, or pickles.

The other thing that I learned at Weight Watchers is the stress put on dieters during the holidays. At our group it was suggested that we re-learn ways of rewarding and treating ourselves. We should look for other ways ... not food ... as treats.

The holidays don't have to be spent cooking in the kitchen for a day (or even more). Simpler meals, or meals where everybody contributes are a great idea. So they're not the "perfect" meals that our mothers prepared. It really doesn't matter.

I'd really like to hear other people's ideas and how they feel about cooking for the holidays.

BTW, here in Canada we've already had our Thanksgiving weekend. Ray and I chose to go for a walk, have a nice dinner (not turkey and all the fixings), and relaxed at home.

-Susanne

Susanne,

I like the way you think! :)

Like I said before, I dont do the massive 20lb bird anymore. You see, when i was a young mother I basically got *the job* of cooking all the holiday meals for my family..Fred, the girls, me, my mother, my sister, and her husband. EVERY HOLIDAY. Now since it is just the four of us and one of us doesnt eat meat, I have made it simple. Hotel turkey breast. I make 2 pies (apple and pumpkin), I buy italian bread at the bakery, and a few fixin`s.

Now that Nat is in culinary at school, she has been helping me with alot of the cooking. So I am guessing I will be the Executive Chef this year! WooHoo.

But we used to actually have tacos for thanksgiving. They Loved it. I had the turkey breast, small pot of stuffing, small pot of mashed potatoes, small can of cranberry sauce (yuck) and a spread of taco makings. Beef, fish (we love fish tacos), chicken, and veggies.

For a few years now, my Mum and I have split the prep work on Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey dinners. I cook the turkey the day before, and then it's carved ready. I do the stuffing (sometimes two different kinds) the gravy, and the bread sauce. Yes, bread sauce. If you aren't English, you might not think it sounds appetising, but I assure you that it's divinely delicious! Sometimes I do a vegetable or two, or else Mum does all the vegetables - roast potatoes, carrots, broccoli, yams, cauliflower - whatever she wants to do. The turkey is heated in the oven, and tastes wonderful - doesn't get dry or overdone. Dessert is often a scrumptious "home-made" pie from the Mennonite's market stall. It's easier on both of us to do it this way.

and the bread sauce. Yes, bread sauce. If you aren't English, you might not think it sounds appetising, but I assure you that it's divinely delicious!

My parents are British, but my mum never did prepare the bread sauce. When my mum's brother came over for England for Thanksgiving he made the bread sauce, but we didn't care for it. Mind you, my aunt and uncle didn't like pumpkin pie.

There are tastes that we grow up with and acquired tastes.

How do you make your bread sauce?

-Susanne

BREAD SAUCE

Simmer a small onion stuck with about 5/6 cloves in 1 cup of milk for 15 mins.

Strain the milk over 2 oz. of fresh white bread crumbs. (I use a nice Italian loaf.)

Add 3 Tablespoons of heavy cream/whipping cream.

Season with 1/3 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper (white if you have it, or just black).

Give a hefty dusting of ground cayenne pepper, and reheat.

Stir gently to prevent sticking/burning.

That's my grandmother's recipe. I always double it - and add a ton of extra cream!

Turkey breast smothered in bread sauce ..... Mmmmm, can't wait for Christmas. (We just had our Thanksgiving.)

I've never cared for Pumpkin Pie either - but everyone else in my family loves it.

Mummy will be relieved that you aren't going to be stressed out, and physically overwhelmed. She will love the idea of going to the buffet, and enjoying a fun, relaxing day with her amazing daughter, and family. <_<

If she doesn't .... what's wrong with this picture?

Amen to that!!!! Give hubster a big hug and kiss for being such a a great guy Nutti !!!!

Hugs