Routing

Drilling

Carving

making things fit.

trimming

polishing

grinding

making moldings and other parts

The tool along with all of the various attachements and bits you can get for it can do almost anything you can think of in one way or another. Of course we pick these up over time and not all at once. That would be far too expensive.

Darrell

making things fit is what I use mine for mainly.

I also like to sand with it some times.

I have used it to cut things

always use your saftey goggles.

dollhouse dust is murder on the eyes.

they do sell starter sets at wal-mart and around Christmas time is a good time to buy one.

nutti :blink:

Oh goodness, hubby bought me one when I "found" my dollhouse and I don't know what I would have done without it!!

I used it for shaping all the replacement pieces on my Beacon Hill (the brackets under the eaves, on the porch) and many, many other things.

Love it!!

If I can find the new motor brushes I bought last year & wound up not needing & now the old Dremel is making terminal noises, I'll replace them & mount the old Dremel into the router table. I have the new one we got DS#3 (he decided he'd better not get to close to power tools, even small ones :blink: ) that I'm using with its flexshaft & the drillpress. When I can get DH to cut me some lumber into a vertical mount I want to use the B&D RDX for a mini-lathe/ table saw, but I'll need to find room on my workbench/ desk for it.

In addition I use it for all the above uses. Oh, I also got a Dremel sander with all the different configuations for shaping & sanding I can't achieve just using the cylindrical drums.

I think Darrell about covered it with his post :blink: An easier question would be (like their old commerical said) what don't we use a dremmel for? - I use mine for sanding - Alot! I also it to recut my walls when I need a new opening or in the case of the Franklin it wasn't assembled correctly - so I used it to trim down the inner wall pieces so the exterior would fit. I think it was the October issue of DHM that showed how to make a dremmel router table. And I have to also say that Dremmel is favorite brand of rotary hand held moto-tool. Another great thing about Dremmel is they have lots of styles and prices to choose from - my favorite being the cordless - last year I upped it to the big cordless but they have a smaller version and I think it's under $20.00 still - I used one of those till I wore it out! (about 6 years and it probably just needs a new rechargable battery) but for as much as I used it (and that was before I was doing minis) I figured I'd get the big one ;)

It's my favorite of all of my tools. Now that the holliday season is approaching watch your local WallysWorld - last year they had a box of bits (cutters, sanders, pollishers etc) in a nice case for something like $20.00 and the tools themselves sometimes go on holliday special.

-David

Hello everyone:  I thought I had already had my "DUH" question for the day, but guess not.  I keep reading about some of you using dremels.  What exactly do you use them for????    :blink:

Thanks, Debbie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I forgot to say something ;) This is deffinitely Not a "Duh" question :D It's a great question :p In all honesty though I love my dremmel - if I had to get rid of all my tools and could keep just one.. it would be my dremmel. I use it around the house all the time, not just in minis, though I think for my minis that is the tool I use most.

-David

I own 4 dremels at the moment

Model 260 Single Speed with benchtop speed control is permanently assigned to my drillpress/overarm router.

2 model 395 one usually hangs out on the glex shaft either hanging over my workbench or on the D-Vise moto tool holder the pother is free for everything else

The cordless minimite is often in my optical tool kit for drilling lenses for frameless mountings

I also have a Old router attachment, D-vise/moto tool holder Dremel disk/Belt sander and the long discontinued table saw. The tablesaw when mounted to a larger base and extention table is ideal for cutting small /thin wood for miniature uses. ANYTHING that can be done on a full size table saw can be done with a dremel 4" saw only on a smaller scale

Last great tool is my old UNIMAT DB200 lathe/mill still getting tooling I need to make it useful to me AND just starting to learn how to use it as well

Ed