Stonework/Masonry

debbie4159

I just loved some of the stonework in the Owner's Gallery. Can anyone tell me whether or not you purchased the stones or made them? If you purchased them, from who? If you made them, please share how you did it. I want to do a stone house so badly I have started dreaming about possible ways to do it! :) Please help so I can finally sleep again!

Debbie

Which gallery? There are several different ways to do mini "stones" :) Some people use real stones, some use a Magic Systems-type template & mix, some use paperclay/ Das, some make polymer clay "stones". I've made stones from papermache egg cartons, styrofoam egg cartons & spackling compound/ polyfilla.

Hi Debbie

I don't have anything in the owners gallery but I'm a real fan of paperclay. I've used it to make block stone walls, a stone floor and a river rock fireplace chimney. It's nice stuff to work with! You can also make some very custom items using paperclay - for instance in the back of my fireplace I wanted a dragon carved into the stone so made the stones and then while the paperclay was still workable impressed a dragon into the fireplace back. I'm pretty happy with the results. I've also made some egyptian blocks by impressing into the paperclay with rubber stamps.

-David

David, I have no clue how to use paperclay. Is it a mix??? Also, are there any links (I'm sure there are and I'm sure one of these wonderful people knows where it is!!!) that could explain the process. I so want to do some stone!

Debbie

It probably would have been easier for all of you if I had let you know which Gallery pictures. The ones I was super impressed with was Myminishop's Arthur and Tracy's Arthur and Stone Cottage. I know Tracy's said they were from sculted clay. They were all fantastic. I was so impressed. I'm going to go and check out the links that Donna supplied. I have decided to stone-work the base and fireplace/chimney on my Alpine. Can't wait to get started.

Debbie

Tracy (My Mini Shop) is the queen of paperclay (a papermache mix available at craft stores & I think Wally World, too), she has taken classes with Rik Pierce. If you read the "chatroom" topic under the "current miniature news & events" forum she will be doing a paperclay tutorial on making a stone fireplace next week.

I don't mean to offend anyone it just I have had to spend the last 4 months at home with a lot of dentel work being done and a lot of time on my hands and not much else our little gal all things mini has a great sight to that might help

Donna

There's also an English company, I have apparently lost the link, that makes a product just like the Magic Systems, but with a reuable template instead of the single-use self-adhesive tape template.

Hi Debbie,

Tracy uses paperclay - and it was looking at her houses that really inspired me to try bashing a house and changing the way it looks. Doesn't she do beautiful work?!! I love her houses.

Paperclay is the name of the stuff - well, actually it's full name is Creative Paperclay. It's an air dry clay and it dries fairly light weight so it's good for using on walls etc. The paperclay website is at:

www.paperclay.com

You'll see some projects there but probably not what you want to learn about making stones. If you want to see some really amazing things made with paperclay check out:

http://www.minimotion.com/

This is the site of Tori West who makes 1:12 scale miniature animals out of it which are highly detailed so you can see how really versitle paperclay is. She also has some how to's on her site.

To me paperclay feels a lot like working with pie crust dough. You can use DAS pretty much the same way as Paperclay only DAS sort of stinks and to me has a slimy and more dense feel to it.

The main things are to use the paperclay as it comes out of the package (Do not try to add water to it) - use a tool to press your lines in, rather than draw them across the clay. It does shrink some as it dries so it may crack but the cracks can be filled with more clay. Basically for rocks you make the rock shapes and apply them to your surface - for block walls I roll out the clay and apply it to the surface with a little tacky glue then press in the block lines. I'd try it on a small bit of wood first to see if it turns out the way you want it before trying a new technique on your building though.

-David

Again, a HUGE, BIG thank you to everyone for your help. But you know, by the time I get done asking questions and then checking all the sites, I'm not getting much else done!!! LOL But I sure am learning a lot. I'm getting the impression from most of you that the best thing to do if you're curious about how to do something is to just get the product and let it rip! I think I may just have to get over my fear of making mistakes and go for it and learn from the mistakes.

Debbie

just have to get over my fear of making mistakes and go for it and learn from the mistakes.

By Jove, gal, I think you've got it! :p

I was the kind of kid that when my mother fussed at me not to get my nice clothes dirty I changed them! Discovery may be messy and sometimes fraught with failure, but you keep at it because it's fun :blink:

I think I may just have to get over my fear of making mistakes and go for it and learn from the mistakes.

ok when you learn how to do this I could sure benifit from it as well

I have tried some paperclay...I was ok with the results but ok is far from being Happy camper! :blink:

I hope to be doing Tracys fireplace class with her to become more comfortable with paperclay...oh and I also have this problem with getting my hands messy

I have a package of baby wipes by every work space...lol this is very funny to all who know me....especially my SIL who helped me with the dungeon....she had never realised my aversion was as bad as it is.....so imagine all that and me with Paperclay on my hands :p but for my miniatures I will try anything....I am much better at clay than the first time I picked it up and played with it.

and I look forward someday to creating something like Tracys houses with one of my own....

I was thinking the Garfield would look wonderful with paperclay on the outside...almost castle like.

Thats the house I plan on building for my Granddaughter someday!

nutti :p

:blink: to the person who was looking on how to make mini stones, I made my stones from a recipe of news paper..wallpaper paste and a little water and put it in the blender. I then went to the hobby store and bought molds for the stones in the model train part of the store.

Wendy

You can also make some very custom items using paperclay - for instance in the back of my fireplace I wanted a dragon carved into the stone so made the stones and then while the paperclay was still workable impressed a dragon into the fireplace back. 

Ooooooooooh! What a cool idea!

Deb <taking many notes on this thread>

Okay, I have a paperclay question. I went to the paperclay website and it says that in addition to the regular paperclay, they also have "diamond" paperclay that dries harder and is more durable. Has anyone tried this for dollhouse siding? Is it any harder to use? I like the idea of it having a harder finish. I haven't used any paperclay before, but I think I might want to use it on my next house.

I tell you, for what we are using it for, the regular paperclay is great. I tried eparl paper clay and it dried heavier and it cracked more than the regular one. It may be good for other things but it was not the best for what I use it for. ;) :o

Try it and tell us how you like it!! :D It may work great.

Just trying to learn how to post in here......Just joined today. I make felted dogs and bears, etc at this time. I have quite a bit of experience with polymer clays. Have been using it for various things ever since it came out....

I live in Arkansas...

:o