Furniture Kits

debbie4159

I have a few furniture kits and have been putting off starting them because I'm somewhat intimidated by the really, realy small parts. Are they very difficult? And, can you get really pleasing result with the kits? Any info would help.

Debbie

Hi Debbie, they aren't difficult at all, go for it. You'll be so pleased when you've done the first one that you won't be able to stop yourself from doing others. I've got an album in webshots of just furniture I've built mainly from kits. Take a look and trust me, if I can do it, anyone can!

Good luck

Wendy

Debbie, If you look at the "tour" photos I posted in the last blog entry I did for the Westville I have a Mini Mundus upright piano and HOM bedroom furniture I built. If you want to stain your furniture be sure to do it before assembly, I can tell you no matter how carefully & thoroughly you think you've gotten all the glue excess off, stain will NOT cover over glue (you can assume I found this out the "hard way", because that's how). If you're going to paint it go ahead. I used regular white glue for the first kits I made, now I use carpenter's wood glue; all the furniture pieces have remained intact. I've built the lasercut basswood kits from Northeastern Lumber and the polystyrene Chrysnbon kits. Not only are they fairly easy (follow the instructions until you feel you know what you're doing, always read over the instructions & study the schematics before beginning, take your time) but with a bit of patience & care you'll make a piece you can be proud of & blow your friends' minds. I even tackle "scratch-built" furniture now :)

Debbie

I had a found a box of miniatures at a yardsale that had several of the (house of Miniatures) kits in it, have a fireplace, grandfarthers clock, two chairs,and a chouch they all went very well I liked them so much that I want to join the kit of the month from them.

Good luck with your remember to take your time and let the glue dry inbetween steps, that the trick to making these little things.

Sorry no pictures to show!

Donna

HOM has kit of the month club???

I want in on that!

I love HOM.

but the cheeper furniture kits can also be nice furniture for your dollhouse

like dura craft...corona and if you can find them I love the old Greenleaf furniture kits. all the dollhouses I have made for others have kit furniture made by me in them. so give it a go!! take it slow read the directions and make some furniture...the way I look at it is....itll do until I can afford better.

nutti :blink:

....itll do until I can afford better.

I nearly forgot the diecut kit furniture, I did both Sugarplums' furniture as painted with folk art motives that tuned out really great. I'm thinking of something similar but with upholstered features for the Haunted House's furniture.

Cutting masking tape into narrow strips works well for "clamps" for small kit parts.

Many years ago HOM advertised "kit of the month", I remember some of the ads in old Workbasket magazines, among others. I doubt there's still such a thing unless someone is making the kits again & has decided to bring it back.

I wish the REallife kits would come back, and does anyone know if Shenandoah is still being manufactured?

The house of miniature had a ad in DH it is 1-800-679-9090

also there is the little 1/144 dollhouses to build

its 1-800-679-9090

both are from HOM

the address is :

The house of Miniature

3890 Oakcliff Industrial Court

Atlanta, Ga.30340

The House of Miniature exacto kits were offered as a monthly club in the late 70s throught the 80s. I have 5 Avon boxes full of assembled and unassembled kits to prove I was an avid member. :blink: They also sent quarterly catalogs of which I still have several. You could buy all kinds of bits and bobs!

The kits are wonderful - and all the pieces work/open. All the furniture in my houses is either from a HOM kit, or something I made from scratch - but I learned the concepts from HOM.

Can you tell I love this product?

Carol

I try to buy them off of e-bay when I see them...the HOM kits

my favorite one is the william and mary clock!

I have made 2 of them and have just bought another.

I also was lucky enough to have found a HOM finishing kit with the stains and directions. I wish they were still making them and had a kit of the month club because I would be a member.

nutti :blink:

Well, guess after that much encouragement, I'll just have to try. I've been dying to, just needed a little incentive. Thank you all for that. Will keep you posted on how it comes out and unless you can't tell what they are when I'm done with them, will post pics! LOL

Nutti, Better check out HBS for the William & Mary case clock kit, Ernie has marked it 'way down! I built several of them, one is going into the Glencroft. I subbed old watch dials for the little brass faces on some of them and did different kinds of decorative treatments.

:o Hi:

I have done a few kits, but I like to work with the Chrysnbon Kits. They are easy to put together and are very detailed, look like the real thing when you are finished. The last kit that I purchased was the bathroon, you can check it in my album in the Jefferson. Chrysnbon just doesn't make kits, they make a lot of accessories again very detailed such as china, glasses, silver wear. chairs. desks, check the kits out.

Hi William: I have a Chrysnbon accessory kit (I guess) it has a pitcher/wash basin, other things like that. I don't know what I was expecting, but they were plastic and not at all what I had in mind. Do they made other kinds than the plastic or whatever they are made of? How/what kind of paints will work on this material? Oooh your bathroom is so nice. You do really great work.

Debbie

Donna: Your comment about taking your time and letting the glue dry... was the first thing I learned (again, the hard way) when doing my dh. I finally had to realize that it wasn't a race and all good things take time. That's great advice though to those who haven't made that realization yet. Or, maybe everyone else had enough sense to realize that LOL :o

Thanks, Debbie

I think all the Chrysbon kits are made of polystyrene. If you finish them right they can look like porcelain or wood or just about any type of material. You can use the model paints made for use on plastic, or regular acrylics. On the 'wood' items we used the paint that came with the kit and then a wash of regular wood stain over it. The finish turned out really nice.

Deb

Thats why I said that. The first kit I did Was the bathroom with the old pull toilet I was so excited to put it in guled it all wrong had to start all over :lol: Dumb Dumb Dumb!! like a kid don't leason to mom have to do it my way.

Any way the kits are fun the only thing I don't like is the price our hobby shop here thinks their made of gold. :) If you can get it The Dollhouse miniature mag. is a good source of ideas. I found some old ones, and have sent for new.