My Beacon Hill

Missymew

I've been looking at some of the beautiful Greenleaf and other dollhouses that have been built by subscribers to this discussion board. They are beautiful. I'd like to share pictures of my first dollhouse that my dad built for me in 1994. I have been redecorating over the past while, and would appreciate suggestions. My handcraft talents are limited but my enthusiasm is bubbling over.

I have put some photos on Webshots, and I hope that I've followed the directions correctly. The link should appear in my signature spot.

I'm crossing my fingers ... here goes...

Susanne, at first I thought you had posted pictures of my Beacon Hill! :D It's amazing how similar they are! We must be kindred spirits!! :D

I love your "scenes". They're so good, it's like looking in on someone's life! Love your decorating too. Your dad sure must love you! ;)

Your landscaping is awesome! There's just so much to look at!

Great job and can't wait to see more pictures as you do your redecorating!

OH WOW! What a beautiful house! I LOVE that nursery! I love the yard too! I absolutely adore the livingroom, and your father did a wonderful job with the furniture! The kitchen is wonderful and I love all the detail in it! The master bedroom is beautiful, but I think my favorite part of it is the curtains. I LOVE the cats in the front yard! So Cute!

OH WOW! What a beautiful house! I LOVE that nursery! I love the yard too! I absolutely adore the livingroom, and your father did a wonderful job with the furniture! The kitchen is wonderful and I love all the detail in it! The master bedroom is beautiful, but I think my favorite part of it is the curtains. I LOVE the cats in the front yard! So Cute!
how lucky you are to have a dad to build you such a wonderful gift....BIG HUG for dad!

Ditto for me

Peggi

I love your BH, it's a real beauty! And I love your scenes too, especially the reading scene with dad and the kids - so peaceful! Did you make the dolls' dresses? They look great! Hope one day I can build my own dollhouse but at the moment I don't have enough time and space ... how sad! :( I would love to put my dolls and miniatures in a real dollhouse with doors, windows and a staircase... my poor dollhouse family has to live in a vitrine at the moment! :rolleyes:

I love your BH, it's a real beauty! And I love your scenes too, especially the reading scene with dad and the kids - so peaceful! Did you make the dolls' dresses? They look great! Hope one day I can build my own dollhouse but at the moment I don't have enough time and space ... how sad!  :( I would love to put my dolls and miniatures in a real dollhouse with doors, windows and a staircase... my poor dollhouse family has to live in a vitrine at the moment!  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bought the dollhouse dresses on ebay. There's a lady who makes beautiful dresses. She sells under the name Silkcookie. Prices are real reasonable. I'd had the dollhouse in the spare bedroom, but packed it away in the basement when the granddaughters were very young and very very interested. I bought it back upstairs now that they're older and decided to put it on the dining room table. Somehow, even when company comes, we seem to end up eating in the kitchen!!

Susanne, at first I thought you had posted pictures of my Beacon Hill!  :rolleyes:  It's amazing how similar they are!  We must be kindred spirits!!  :(

I love your "scenes".  They're so good, it's like looking in on someone's life!  Love your decorating too.  Your dad sure must love you!  :D

Your landscaping is awesome!  There's just so much to look at!

Great job and can't wait to see more pictures as you do your redecorating!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My dad would have to take total credit for the building and paint job/wall papering. He has his own style. The dollhouse was really a surprise for me until it had started to take shape. He'd made me my first dollhouse when I was three years old (and electrified it). I think that he and mum regretted that they hadn't stored it by. He made up for it though!! Some time I'll have to scan photos I have of that old dollhouse ... it was made in 1954!! Once again my dad would have to take credit for the dollhouse, but my mum would have to accept responsibility for the awful "Tonette perm" she inflicted on me!!

Oh Susanne, if you knew the awful haircuts, perms, curls my mom gave me as a child you'd laugh yourself silly! :p Oh well, at least we had mothers who cared about us (well, at least our hair)!! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Shalean, I really enjoyed watching the new pics in you webshots album! Don't stop creating new scenes with your lovely dollhouse and dolls! I love your scenes! Wow, you have many Heidi Ott dolls! I couldn't count them cause there were too many on the pics... :blink: I too have over 20 (I think 22) Ott miniature dolls and can't stop buying them .... they are too cute and every single doll looks somehow different! But how does it come you don't have any boy doll in your collection??? :D There are women, men and girls but no boys ... or have I just missed them? ;)

I love using the Heidi Ott dolls. They're so poseable. You're right that I haven't added any boys to my collection ... yet. I have two granddaughters so the dollhouse has been decorated to please them. I just bought a Heidi Ott dollhouse family for my niece, Brittany (age 16). My dad also made her a dollhouse. I let her choose her family, she chose a teen boy XC501, lady X049, gent X030 and girl XC003.

Alas, I've never built a dollhouse, but I love to decorate and arrange/re-arrange.

Would you post more scenes or pictures of your Heidi Ott dolls? Please?

We have the same taste in other items. I have the same Reutter bed and Bodo Hennig pram (doll carriage) as you.

What about pets? Real and dollhouse ....

Susanne

First of all I have to say I really love your new (old) pic of your first dollhouse! Too cute, what a great house! Do you still have it?

Yes, the Ott dolls are very poseable and they look so real and lovely! I love their faces, so much detail!

And I thought you didn't like boys! :blink: But I prefer the girl dolls too, they have such lovely dresses! :p Great to hear that your granddaughter has a dollhouse too! So you can share your hobby with her, that's great! I would love to have a dollhouse-interested grandmother or aunt like you! ;)

I will post some new pics soon, promised! :D Maybe tomorrow or even today!

I love the Reutter bed, it's one of my fav minis! We really must have the same mini-taste! :D Will you do some christmas scenes - well, I'm sure you will do so! :D Can't wait to see them!

Anne, I love your new pictures! They're fabulous.

I don't have the dollhouse that was built in 1954. I'd often mentioned to my folks that I wished they'd kept it for me. It seems that a neighbourhood boy destroyed it when I was still very young.

I guess my persistence in repeatedly bringing this up paid off!! My dad built me the Beacon Hill as penance. LOL

It's funny the things that you remember ... I remember the little boy that did wreck my dollhouse ... his name was Jimmy Hoskins and he also stole my pony carousel. I do remember that time that I made a huge fuss and my mum went and got it back for me.

What's funny is I often don't remember the name of someone I've just met!!

Susanne

Oh no, what a shame, a neighbour boy destroyed it? Now I can understand you haven't added boys to your dollhouse yet! :p My brothers had to destroy everything too ... boys are so wild sometimes! :D

Why can't my dad build me such a beautiful dollhouse? :( My mom gave away my old dollhouse that my dad had built... but it wasn't that great so I survived it somehow ... :D But I still mention it to my parents like you did! So maybe one day my dad will build me a new one too! :blink::D

When I was at Kindergarten a girl stole me a little ckicken figurine and the locomotive of my miniature train... I still can remember it like it happened yesterday and I still miss especially the locomotive. Today I have only the miniature wagons without the locomotive in my dollhouse. That makes me still very angry! B)

What's funny is I often don't remember the name of someone I've just met!!

Same thing here! B) My main problem is in the moment I get told the name of a person my brain is like turned off and I don't get the name - it's always the same... ;)

Great that you like the new pics. I wasn't sure if people here were interested in the pics cause they are just interior and I haven't built a dollhouse yet.

Thanks for the nice comments in my gallery!

Mini-greetings,

I wasn't sure if people here were interested in the pics cause they are just interior and I haven't built a dollhouse yet.

the interior is just as important as the house itself!

so do you use a bookshelf for your rooms or roomboxes?

nutti :blink:

Hello, Nutti! ;)

Now the hopeless romantic speaks :D :

Yes, it is a very ordinary white bookshelf with glass doors (by IKEA :blink: ), kind of a vitrine. There are even books in it, above and under my "dollhouse" and my collection of dog figurines! Although it's a very high bookshelf I already have lack of space. I fear some of the books have to move... or I have to stop buying more and more furniture! :p The "dollhouse" has working lamps on only one floor. Horrible circumstances for my mini family ... I know! :D

• 2 weeks later...
I've been looking at some of the beautiful Greenleaf and other dollhouses that have been built by subscribers to this discussion board.  They are beautiful.  I'd like to share pictures of my first dollhouse that my dad built for me in 1994.  I have been redecorating over the past while, and would appreciate suggestions.  My handcraft talents are limited but my enthusiasm is bubbling over.

I have put some photos on Webshots, and I hope that I've followed the directions correctly.  The link should appear in my signature spot.

I'm crossing my fingers ... here goes...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shalean - you are way too modest when you speak of your dollhouse. I am new to the forum, but I've browsed through countless pics in the past few days and I found your dollhouse absolutely breathtaking. The small details are too many to mention - the landscaping, furniture, dolls, animals... :)

As a newbie collector, I would love to know how you acquired these items. I'm sure it has taken you many years, but I was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction to start my collection. :)

Thanks! :p

Bianca, I can't speak for Susanne, but eBay is a great place to start collecting miniatures! :) That's where most of the items for my Beacon Hill have come from and I've been very happy with every item! :p

Good luck in your search, but beware, eBay is very addictive!! :)

Bianca, I find a LOT of things in thrift stores, especially "raw materials" to make minis. See if your local library has or can get dolls' house DIY books by PAtricia King, she makes wonderful mini items out of the most unusual found objects. I have a stove tutorial in my Westville blog that I made from foamboard, a razor pack, a plastic berry basket, cocktail forks, toothpicks,earring backs, an old watch face & bezel & a craft stick. I'm presently making a MUCH simplified version of a Roper range from foamboard for the Haunted House.

Bianca, I'm a huge fan of ebay. There are so many talented artisans that share their work on ebay. As I've corresponded with many of these sellers, I've discovered that some are also willing to take on private commissions. That has been a huge help when I've found an item that I love, and then wish to carry on with the theme.

I'm planning on learning how to actually make some items on my own. I am hoping that through this Greenleaf site that I gain confidence in my own abilities (hidden though they may be).

Please share with us as you grow in this wonderful hobby.

Susanne

I'm planning on learning how to actually make some items on my own. I am hoping that through this Greenleaf site that I gain confidence in my own abilities (hidden though they may be).

Susanne, you're talents are far from hidden! They're out there and are fabulous . . . for example your Beacon Hill is gorgeous!!

Susanne, Teresa is right your Beacon Hill is BEAUTIFUL!!! After all of these years I still learn something "new" every time I build a house. I guess that is why I have not gotten bored with this hobby yet.

:D

Your abilities are FAR from hidden! :o