Cir-Kit wiring kits?

uppitycats

I'm sticking my toe into the world of dollhouse electricity. But before I drown ...are all the various lighting kits really compatible? I see Cir-Kit in lots of places, but my Hobby Lobby has another brand (which I don't have the name of...sorry!) which claims that they're "compatible with all other dollhouse lighting kits". I'm talkin' tapewire here, not round.

And there are often Cir-Kit sets on sale at eBay. I just spent some time at the Cir-Kit website, and see that their kit for the "large size dollhouse" is around $60 ... is that a usual price?

What do you electric enthusiasts use? Where do you get your equipment?

Uppity, I have never bought a Kit but have bought the components. The largest Cirkit transformer (if memory serves me) is almost $30. Then a large roll of tape wire can go for about $20 (maybe $16-18) and then you got your brads, and your other components. So yes, I would say that is about right.

That sounds about right. The kits are usually around those prices for the larger houses at AC Moore. Don't know about the compatibility since I have only seen Cir-Kit kits. Good luck!!

I'm sticking my toe into the world of dollhouse electricity. But before I drown ...are all the various lighting kits really compatible? I see Cir-Kit in lots of places, but my Hobby Lobby has another brand (which I don't have the name of...sorry!) which claims that they're "compatible with all other dollhouse lighting kits". I'm talkin' tapewire here, not round.

And there are often Cir-Kit sets on sale at eBay. I just spent some time at the Cir-Kit website, and see that their kit for the "large size dollhouse" is around $60 ... is that a usual price?

What do you electric enthusiasts use? Where do you get your equipment?

I can't remember the name either, but I do remember seeing it in our Hobby Lobby and wondered the same thing. I've been using the 40% coupon and trying to stock up went they have the wiring. So many times when I've gone they've been completely out of any electrical supplies.

I bought the basic Cir-Kit that came in a blister pack. It said that it should be enough for 6 rooms, which is what I had. The kit did not come with a transformer so I bought that separate. I bought one that was really too big because it was all they had and I was too impatient to wait. The 20v was $22.

I had to buy another roll of tapewire which was about $6. I used every single brad that came in the package and even had to search the floor for a few I dropped to finish wiring.

I bought the basic kit from DeJoux and the other stuff at a local store.

The best thing I bought was the Brad Insertion tool. It made inserting the brads so easy and I really do not know how I would have done it without it.

I bought the basic Cir-Kit that came in a blister pack. It said that it should be enough for 6 rooms, which is what I had. The kit did not come with a transformer so I bought that separate. I bought one that was really too big because it was all they had and I was too impatient to wait. The 20v was $22.

I had to buy another roll of tapewire which was about $6. I used every single brad that came in the package and even had to search the floor for a few I dropped to finish wiring.

I bought the basic kit from DeJoux and the other stuff at a local store.

The best thing I bought was the Brad Insertion tool. It made inserting the brads so easy and I really do not know how I would have done it without it.

I agree, the brad insertion tool and the testor are definitely a must--a magnifier glass helps too.

I bought the Cir-kits pack without transformer when I did the lighting in the Glencroft. I ended up having to return the lead-in wire and get a different one because the original one was not working. I bought the second smallest transformer, but knew exactly which one I needed. I have also had to buy additional brads due to my wonderful fur-baby eating the masking tape I had them stuck on. :whistle: Can't figure that cat out. :giggle:

Well I don't know about any other kits out there, but I personally am going to buy Ernie's Cir-Kit tape wiring kit on April 2nd!! It is enough for 12-15 rooms, and comes with the transformer and the wiring itself. It includes everything but the lights themselves!! Not only is this one kit all you need, but it saves you about 20% compared to if you were buying the parts individually. Hope this helps!!

Well I don't know about any other kits out there, but I personally am going to buy Ernie's Cir-Kit tape wiring kit on April 2nd!! It is enough for 12-15 rooms, and comes with the transformer and the wiring itself. It includes everything but the lights themselves!! Not only is this one kit all you need, but it saves you about 20% compared to if you were buying the parts individually. Hope this helps!!

Yes,. I put that kit on my "wish list" at Ernies....and I have some lights already (part of the "extra stuff" that came with the RealGood house I bought a couple of weeks ago)...so may end up buying that if everyone keeps pointing to the Cir-Kit kit.....I'm really not stuttering.. :whistle: