first time working with paper clay

Angieaug

I've been trying to come up with a way to make a sidewalk and I've decided to give paper clay a try. I ran a search and found some useful info about it, but I still have a couple of questions... Is there a way to give it a fine texture like concrete? I also want it to have a couple of cracks here and there, as well as the lines you normally see in sidewalks. Any tips?

The texture can be added with a paint brush that you cut off and then just "pat" the clay. Tracy's paperclay tutorial tells how to do this.

The texture can be added with a paint brush that you cut off and then just "pat" the clay.

it is called stipling and if you dont add this step it could mean your paint will not stay on the clay well

as for cracks any pointed something can make cracks...do not go all the way through unless you want to see what is under...when it dries there is shrinkage and this will make your cracks realistic.

Have fun....I look forward to some photos!

nutti :flowers:

I have worked with paper clay before and I really enjoy it. I made stone steps for my Glencroft using it. They turned out pretty good, I think. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your sidewalk. It may motivate me to get going on my chimney!

I'm thinking that I'm going to try that tut for the fireplace. I've never worked with paperclay before and curiousity is definately getting to me.

Thanks for the tips, I'm definitely going to try stipling. I was going to try pressing sandpaper or something against the clay, but I think this way sounds easier. For the lines of the sidewalk I'll try pressing a ruler into the clay at even intervals. Judi, the steps in your garden Glencroft came out great. That gives me an idea for finishing my porch steps, and for making a curb too. I'll try to post pictures of my progress.

post-1924-1174580978_thumb.jpg

This is what I'm working with. I'll have an entire street of townhouses and I want the sidewalk to go down the entire length of it. If I'm successful with the paperclay, I may use it to make individual sidewalks from the "street" to each house.

post-1924-1174871414_thumb.jpgpost-1924-1174871035_thumb.jpgSuccess! :jawdrop: I'm so happy with how my curb turned out. Now if I can just get the sidewalk to look right. That part is harder than I thought it would be. I might just have sidewalks leading to the houses instead of trying to make a long one parallel to the street because I've already messed up part of my grass fooling with it. Thanks again for all the tips.

Angieaug, you can have all my cracks if you want...!

First-timer here too. MinisOnTheEdge had some great patching tips however...

:jawdrop: You did an excellent job, I wouldn't have guessed that was your first time working with paperclay. I really like the brickwork around the windows.

post-1924-1174929782_thumb.jpg

Looking very good. How many townhouses are on your street? Can we see a picture of the whole street?

I have seven now and there's room for one more. They're all assembled but only two are finished, and the others are all in different stages of completion. Right now my poor "street" is being used as a work table and the houses are in no particular order, but here's sort of what it will look like when I'm done.

Thank you Angela for posting the pictures, your street will certainly be impressive. Those houses are fantastic. Sort of alike but also so different. Please keep us posted to its progress.

Wow - that looks terrific! Whereabouts in your home will the street be housed? You must have an extra room somewhere! :lol:

thanks :) Actually I don't have an extra room, just a very sweet and understanding husband! He built the table against a wall in our bedroom to hold all of my houses. I decided to sacrifice a couple of my back-opening dollhouses to make room (and money) for the street of townhouses, which is something I've always wanted.