Sals hobbies at work

dollshousegirl

well its been fun at work this week, i voluntered for a scheme run by my employer, called learning at work, gives people a break from their desks and lets them learn new skills. equals more productive employees !! its a once a year thing and for the past three days i have been demonstraing minis

And its been so cool getting paid to talk about my minis all week, been to three different district offices. had some of my furniture on display along with accessories and mini carpets of course, in three scales people loved it ,they were entranced, took my large carpet in each day to stitch in any quiettimes, that raised some eyebrows, (gosh thats small) throughly enjoyed

explaining about fabric counts, well no thats not smalll thats 24ct, now youhave to see this I stitched on 48 ct, tehehe, lots of ladies with gog eyes.

Daphne my friend gave me a baby a long time ago(plastic with delicate knitted clothingwhich Daphne knitted of course) was showing of her tiny knitted socks and knickers again (she does it a lot cos her mum is proud of her), baby loves it when people go awww !! lost count of how many times she had her gown up round her ears, of course the gown also got it compliments, i love it when full size knitting ladies go gog eyed (that the best way to describe it)

other things on offer were, beading, flower arranging, water colours, card making, manicures, all things people could take home and say 'I did that' I was offering a pick and mix chest/trunk, using those cheap cardboard trunk forms, I painted them, lined the lids and padded the insides with tissue paper, all the little items can then be arranged and glued in, with the minimal of making things, but still getting a feel for miniatures. I had luggage labels, tiny sliver frames with black and white kiddie photos in, a choice of maps, fans, mirrors, music sheets, different certificates and family tree charts, newspapers (from jims printies) cards, letter bundles, old photo bundles, books, and lacy, frilly, and fluffy bits as well as fabric bits.

I will have to post a pic somewhere. everybody who made one was entranced with what they had made and surprised at themselves that they made something so nice. its surprising how many people have dollshouses they have in the garage or

whatever that they haven't got the 'time' for. My philosophy is if its something you want to do then you make the time, and I told them so. So many people have cross stitching or tapestry that they also don't have the time for !! it baffles me, if you like to do it, then DO IT !!!

any hoo, one guy about my age, came in and I know him from when i worked in that building, started to put the trunk together just positioning things to see how they looked, suddenly jumped up and went out the room, came back with a mug of black tea, and proceeded to dip all the lacy bits and maps and newspapers in his tea hahahaha !! turns out he makes models (star wars ships etc) so knew straight away what to do to make things look real,dabbing away at things with the tea bag, spent ages deciding the perfect position for things. his trunk looked amazing, I told him I was honered to have him at my table.

One lady was really getting into the spirit of it all, as she told me, I have to have that picture there next to the family tree and the Christening dress (bit of lace) along with photos of children as it had a 'researching a family tree theme'

two young girls came in, (well 20's) te he, obviously good friends who sit together at work, chatty, chatty all the time, they got quite engrossed at one point, when one of them pipes up 'gosh we are never this quiet' !! hahaha

but every ones trunks were brilliant, each one completely different and unique I took my camera the first day, but only thought about taking photos of each one towards the end of the day, then i forgot on the other days, never mind !

all finished for the week........ ..... back to work tomorrow tehehe

You are so lucky to be able to get paid to talk about your minis!! What a great treat for you!! If only there were a way we could ALL be paid for working on our houses..........hmm............... :whistle:

So many people have cross stitching or tapestry that they also don't have the time for
They must never have to sit in doctor's offices waiting for thier appointment, or theiir spouse/ SO to run a 5K (or longer) race, or go on long motor trips or watch TV...

Sally, you rock! I got all excited just reading about your adventures of spreading the mini-word to the masses! Pat yourself on the back girl, coz you done good! (and it sounds like a whole lot of fun too!)

Deb

I think so many people have priorities wrong, one lady i used to work with was obessed with her ironing and how she hung her washing out on the line to dry, like matching pegs etc, had to be better than the neighbours, !!!! go figure that !!!

A lady i work with now, does cross stitch but never has the time, as her kids don't let her have any time to sit and do it, she runs round and does everything for them (they are 8 and 12) more than old enough to allow mum some me time.

They must never have to sit in doctor's offices waiting for thier appointment, or theiir spouse/ SO to run a 5K (or longer) race, or go on long motor trips or watch TV...

Sal -

I've looked at the photos in the gallery. You did a lovely job of laying out the different scales. It really is something to see 1:12, 1:24 and 1:48 side by side....not to mention 1:144 scale.

The do-it-yourself mini trunk idea was fabulous.

Thanks for sharing the story and photos.

-Susanne