Another Paint Question

beachpeach

i'm on a tut that calls for semi-gloss.... i can't for the life of me find the color i need.... now being the logical thinking person that i am, i figured why not mix flat and gloss.... that should = semi-gloss ...right???

does anyone know if this will work?... i only need a small amount.

Try it on a scrap piece and let us know.
Pam, you think like me. I haven't tried that in a long time, I think when I did it sort of worked because both paints were interior latex. I don't think you want to try it with latex (water-based) paint & enamel (oil-based).

You could use the flat paint and add a cover coat of semi-gloss or satin polyurethane to get the effect you want. I did this on the outside of my Orchid, used flat wall paint for the color and then used a water-based satin polyurethane, and it looks just fine.

Yes, the flat will cut the gloss somewhat but the trick is finding the right combo. I wouldn't do 50/50. I would take the gloss and add maybe a 1/3 part flat and test it.....add a bit more if needed to cut some of the shine....and work your way up that way.

I have done it before and it worked just fine. Starting out with quality paint tho will make it work better......