Drilling into MDF

MiniDoxLuvr

Well the exterior is completely done on my Vermont Jr, and starting the interior. I need to drill a few small holes in the MDF and need to purchase a drill or cordless screwdriver.

I need to drill in the floors/ceilings so obviously a standard drill won't do this job as they are too big. I am thinking about a cordless screwdriver, the kind that bends at the middle - this should fit inside the house even with a drill bit protuding out of it.

My question before I buy one is - does anyone know if a cordless screwdriver such as one by Black and Decker or Craftsman will have the power and torque to drill a hole thru the MDF? MDF being harder than plywood I am not sure if it will or not....

Anyone know?

not sure what you are drilling for but

to put the holes for the wiring of Catie's MHM DH used a small mini cordless

black and decker drill from Wal-mart....he had no problems

nutti :wave:

This is the best idea I have:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=92956

I don't have it, but I've seen it in the store, solid little booger, seems to be about as tough as a regular drill. Just a weird shape. MDF is hard to drill or cut through, a screwdriver would take all day I'm guessing.

Ginger, I had to drill holes in MDF for the MHM. I used a lil itty bitty hand held drill thingy maggigy. It took a lil bit of doing but I got holes for lighting.

So If Heidi-Torque will bust thru, you are all good!

not sure what you are drilling for but

to put the holes for the wiring used a small mini cordless

black and decker drill from Wal-mart.

nutti :thumb:

Thats what I used for my log cabin christmas wreaths and it works great :wave:

Well today i purchased a Black and Decker Drill/Driver model XD1200K. I hope it works! It is on charge as we speak. It is a drill but duals as a cordless screwdriver with variable speeds. It rotates and DOES fit inside of the house even with the drill bit attached so we shall see!

UDPATE: It works absolutely PERFECT! I recommend this to anyone who is in the market to buy a drill small enough to fit into already assembled dollhouse rooms and enough power to even drill cleanly thru MDF, yet still variable speed to even double as an electric screwdriver.

SO FAR I LOVE THIS PRODUCT and give it a thumbs up for ease of use, durability and price. It was only $40~!!!!!

So that would be the Black and Decker model XD1200K, cordless screwdriver/drill. Rotates 180 degrees and is the smallest that I have seen in this line but still pretty powerful. Highly recommend for miniature work and other household jobs.

Now I have this drill, the rotomatic tool that I am loving for miniature power sanding, and now I need to get a small jigsaw to complete my mini workshop. I used to have so many tools once upon a time but now am having to build it all back up again. My first husband had a bunch of tools and I jsut used his. My second hubby is a computer guy and no need or love for tools heehee. So I need to get my own! I think a small jigsaw will complete my powertool list. I have some 3/4" plywood panels that I need to cut and think a jigsaw will be my best bet...

Or will it? If anyone has suggestions for a better tool let me know! I do want to keep it simple and cheap> I can get a simple corded jigsaw for about $40 ...

Not sure how far you'll get with a mini jigsaw on 3/4" ply, that's pretty heavy stuff. Micro Mark sell all kinds of mini power tools, but they're generally double or more the price of the full sized item.

PS, thanks for the heads up on the B&D, I'll have to check that guy out.

Not sure how far you'll get with a mini jigsaw on 3/4" ply, that's pretty heavy stuff. Micro Mark sell all kinds of mini power tools, but they're generally double or more the price of the full sized item.

PS, thanks for the heads up on the B&D, I'll have to check that guy out.

Really? My father in law had one and that is all he used on his plywood. Hmmmm.....

yes the b & d so far has been great. what I like as well is that putting the drill bits in are as simple as putting in an electric screwdriver bit. No chuck to fool with, it slides right in with a hexagon base. This might be limiting if I were to want to put a lot of fancy attachments on it but the attachments that came with it are all I need for my mini work.