Trimming Installed Siding

Tess11

How do you guys handle trimming siding that you have already installed on your dh? I just finished the siding on my Arrow house and I left some pieces a bit long at the edges and at the window holes, figuring I would just trim the excess. But even with a sharp utility knife, my cuts tend to start to split the siding.

Do you normally measure exactly and don't trim later? Or is there some trick to it? I'm looking forward to working on my SF with the siding pre-milled!

when that happens to me I cut downwards with an xacto knife. They siding does tend to split so I put pressue on the pieces of siding im about to cut, that way they wont split. This is kind of dangerous though and I have cut my fingers a few times here and there. so wear gloves!!

after I cut I give it a little bit of sanding and its usually good to go :wave:

Well, thanks everyone! Lesson learned. Since this is my first house, I don't feel too bad. Anywhere I need to cut down will be covered by a window or corner trim, so I'll try Jenny's trick and see if it helps. Next time, measure twice, cut once and to exact measurements. Got it. :wave:

BTW, I was going to cut a regular piece of siding in half for my corner trim. Will that work, do you think?

Even measuring exactly isn't always as precise as I could wish, but I split siding strips for floorboards upstairs in my Magnolia and this method also works for trimming across the grain, I do several passes with the utility knife into the same cut and it cuts evenly without splitting (rather than trying to slice through in one cut).

This may be silly but how about putting masking tape or painters tape on the portion you are keeping. Right on the line where you are cutting, maybe this would help. I know it works when you are putting holes into walls.

jenn

This may be silly but how about putting masking tape or painters tape on the portion you are keeping. Right on the line where you are cutting, maybe this would help. I know it works when you are putting holes into walls.

jenn

I had actually thought about this, so I don't think it's a silly idea at all. I'll give it a go tonight because I am ready to paint (almost!).

Holly- I have one window with score marks that I didn't get to finish, so maybe between taping and several passes with the utility knife I might just "git R done." :wave: Thanks!

Melissa- Sanding isn't going to get the job done here. (I need to cut 1/2 inch in some places!!) The problem is that I like to "eyeball" stuff too much. I need to slow down and measure, then sanding will be more of an option if I cut a little bit long. I'm beginning to know how to do some of this stuff with all of the advice on this forum. Baby steps. . .