Paint

gramps

I use everything latex -- paint, stain, etc. So much easier to clean up. I don't know much about acrylic...

I think whether it's satin or semi-gloss or even high gloss is really a matter of personal preference. I used a semi-gloss on my Garfield, and a flat paint on my Brimble. I wanted Brimble to look like a sandstone sort of finish.

I use latex house paint. Get the 2 oz color samples for trim, quarts for main color. Whether to use satin or semi gloss depends on your own preference.

I don't like acrylic craft paints at all. The pigment is too grainy, and they don't cover as well.

I like to use satin latex. I think it looks more like the exterior of real houses. Except for the white woodwork, I don't even like gloss in the interior of my real home.

If I use acrylics for trim or on furniture, etc., I usually end up giving it a coat of matte finish Modge Podge.

Well I am working on my first house (Beacon Hill), so I certainly would not say that I know everything. :lol:

However, I did want to tell you that my instructions recommended using a semi-gloss latex paint. They said that a matte paint will give you a dull finish, while a high-gloss paint will unveil every minor mistake in your work, no matter how careful you are.

I personally am using an acrylic craft paint just for the bottom foundation all the way around my house (because I bought the color and started using it before I knew not to!!). That's just to add color and stuff. Since it's just the bottom part and not actually part of the house itself and a place no one really cares to look at if it looks good or not, I don't really think it's that big a deal. But I did like Kathie's suggestion to put a coat of Mod Podge on afterwards. I will definitely do that!!

I hope this helps.

I've used white latex paint to prime walls and ceilings. I like my acrylic paints for other painting jobs. I use a satin finish Mod Podge to protect the paint - also to give a little sheen, as acrylic paints dry flat. (Unless you're using a gloss acrylic, which I wouldn't do.)

I use acrylic paints from the tubes and mix my own colors, for priming I use flat white interior latex paint and for everything else I use interior latex housepaint in colors if I find ones I like. I found that the acrylic paints from the tube can be mixed with the white latex to get custom tints (thanks to Darrell Payne for that tip). As for finish, as with any other technique, I do a sample to see how I like it and if it looks to be "in scale".