Doors for the Westville, Jefferson, Garfield or Pierce

NannaMc

Borrowed a book from the library entitled "Creative Dollhouses from Kits" by Robert Schleicher. Really interesting for a beginner like me, but he states that you can buy doors that will fit the Westville, Jefferson, Garfield or Pierce. I knew that there was a set of working windows for the Garfield, but I can't find the doors listed anywhere. Anyone know anything about this. He also states that Greenleaf publishes three booklets, Dollhouses to Dreamhouses, Volumes I. II, and III, for upgrading and detailing their houses. Anyone seen these or did I miss them?

Shirley

You can use Houseworks doors in any Greenleaf or Corona Concepts kit, but keep two things in mind: the doors may be a bit larger than the kit opening (same for windows, measure openings carefully before ordering) and the windows & doors are made to fit the houses made in 3/8" plywood so you'll want to save those long skinny pieces of scrap wood from your kit to make shims to tuck under the frames. I did it for the Houseworks interior doors I used in both my Dura-Craft Cambridge and the Greenleaf Coventry Cottage. They look nice.

You can also make your own doors (which can be made to fit without chopping on the kit), if you wish. I made a screen door for the screened front porch of my Coventry Cottage.

Dollhouses to Dreamhouses, Volumes I. II, and III
I think Keri Berkner still carries these, check http://www.dollhouse-miniatures.com to see if she still does. Earth & Tree gives excellent online mail order service.

Hi I used the upgraded windows in my Garfield but didn't know that they made doors to fit. If I could have found doors made for it I would have used them. Like Holly recommended I used the housework doors. I had to make some adjustment because some door openings were too small. I just make them bigger with my trusty exacto knife. The only door I used from the kit was the hall bathroom door.

Schleicher's book (which I highly recommend) was published in 1995, so they may not make the doors any more. There is a supply source list in the back, including Greenleaf, so maybe if you email Dean directly you can find out if the doors are available. Did you do a search on HBS as well? Ernie might have some in the back of the warehouse, too, if you email him.

(I have to admit, I have not been able to successfully install the doors for a greenleaf house. I can't get the hinges to stay in place, even with superglue or little nails. How do you make them work? Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread here.)

I can't get the hinges to stay in place, even with superglue or little nails. How do you make them work?
That's why I use chamois strips for hinges, Christine.
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread here
If posting in a thread is hijacking it, I'm in deep doodoo...

I've not seen working doors specifically for the Garfield. There are working windows available, though. I used the Houseworks doors on my Garfield -- like everyone already said, they needed trimming and shimming to fit, but they work fine.

The books are available -- I've seen them on eBay, at Amazon, and elsewhere, but the don't cover ALL the houses, and don't include the Garfield.

Actually, there are upgraded windows that fit perfectly in the Pierce & Grafield houses. They were done by Timber brook and they discontinued the ones for the Westville & Jefferson (The Jefferson dollhouse kit is discontinued now anyway).

You can find these upgrades at the Greenleaf store You can click here to find them:

http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Dollho...ccessories.html

Schleicher's book (which I highly recommend) was published in 1995, so they may not make the doors any more. There is a supply source list in the back, including Greenleaf, so maybe if you email Dean directly you can find out if the doors are available. Did you do a search on HBS as well? Ernie might have some in the back of the warehouse, too, if you email him.

(I have to admit, I have not been able to successfully install the doors for a greenleaf house. I can't get the hinges to stay in place, even with superglue or little nails. How do you make them work? Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread here.)

Feel free to add to my threads anytime. That way we all learn more. Thanks everyone for all the information. I knew there would be help here. Duh question, but what or who is HBS? Aren't the windows listed for the Garfield the same size as the ones in the kit? Holly, when I get to the point (probably 2019 or 2020) where I need to do the doors, and especially the screen door for the kitchen entrance, I will be requesting the information. Looks neat. Thanks everyone. I think I am on brain overload after looking at that gorgeous house on EBay. $25,000, at a dollar a week, Nope, I won't live that long.

Shirley

Duh question, but what or who is HBS? Shirley

HBS is Hobby Builders Supply and you can find them here: http://www.miniatures.com/

They got loooots of great items there.... So be warned bring the drool protection sheet when sitting down to have a look at it LOL Oh and they also have that "wishlist" feature on there as well.... :giggle:

Hugs

Feel free to add to my threads anytime. That way we all learn more. Thanks everyone for all the information. I knew there would be help here. Duh question, but what or who is HBS? Aren't the windows listed for the Garfield the same size as the ones in the kit? Holly, when I get to the point (probably 2019 or 2020) where I need to do the doors, and especially the screen door for the kitchen entrance, I will be requesting the information. Looks neat. Thanks everyone. I think I am on brain overload after looking at that gorgeous house on EBay. $25,000, at a dollar a week, Nope, I won't live that long.

Shirley

The Houseworks doors and windows, and the working windows for the Garfield that Greenleaf (and others) have, come already in frames, "pre-hung", with hinges where appropriate, and slide up and down. The doors and windows that come in the Garfield kit come in pieces, and you have to install your own hinges. The windows that come in the kit are not working windows - -that is, they don't open and close, or slide up and down.

The Houseworks doors are a bit larger in thickness than the Garfield walls -- although I found that once I had primed the walls on both sides, and put wallpaper on both sides, they fit pretty well. In a couple of instances the door openings had to be made wider to fit the Houseworks doors. I don't (yet) have the Greenleaf working windows for the Garfield, but I'd assume that, because they ARE Greenleaf, they're made to fit. In my case, it would mean I'd have to carefully remove all the window trim I've already installed, hoping to not mar the wallpaper! (an extremely difficult task, I've already found!), to install the windows.

Some of the pre-made windows also come with real glass, unlike the plastic "windows" that come in the sheet....

I've got the Garfield working windows on my "wish list".. :giggle:

Feel free to add to my threads anytime. That way we all learn more.
Just to clarify... "hijacking a thread" means to change the direction of the discussion so that the original poster's question doesn't get answered. I should really start a new thread on how to install doors... or perhaps just take the time to do a search since I'm sure it's already been answered three zillion times!!!!

You can find these upgrades at the Greenleaf store You can click here to find them:

http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Dollho...ccessories.html

Yes, but, as Shirley noted initially, Greenleaf carries upgraded WINDOWS but not the DOORS.

Just to clarify... "hijacking a thread" means to change the direction of the discussion so that the original poster's question doesn't get answered. I should really start a new thread on how to install doors... or perhaps just take the time to do a search since I'm sure it's already been answered three zillion times!!!!

Yes, but, as Shirley noted initially, Greenleaf carries upgraded WINDOWS but not the DOORS.

Just to clarify my previous note, Timber brook DID (past tense) sell doors that did fit the DOORS in the HOUSES she mentioned above. They no longer do the doors now and only windows for the Pierce & Garfield. A store had to purchase more than 1 door for those houses because they considered them "special order" because they made them on a per order basis.