Beacon Hill Mansion

bmatson

Okay so I have begun the process of undoing my house and getting rid of all the hot glue. I have decided not just to get rid of the glue in the seams, but to undo the seams by loosening the glue, and basically taking the house apart backwards of how I put it together. Yes, it's a lot of work, but I know it will be worth it to do the wood glue thing. Plus, now that I know exactly where the walls and floors go and for which rooms, I am making mock ups for all my wallpaper and carpeting while the house is apart, rather than trying to do it after it's together. So I will at least have that going for me when the time comes.

And I will be out of town quite a bit these next two weeks. Out of the next 2 weeks, I will only be home for about 3 or 4 days. This seriously impinges on my dollhousing, but such is life. I am lucky enough to be able to not work, and my husband and I don't have kids yet (our first anniversary will be in May) so I have the pleasure of spending much of my time working on my house. So I will miss doing that when am gone. But it will give me something to look forward to :no:

--Betty

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the beacon hill. Well actually there will be quite a few if I go through with getting one. Is the instruction manual pretty clear? I am a visual person so will be looking at blogs and stuff but was wondering about the instructions.

And while I am at it. do the windows open and close? I dont think so by looking at the pic.

I be nervous and I havent even decided if I am going to get it or not lol. But I just love the lines of the house.

Thanks!

Bec

Hi Becca,

In my mind, the instructions to the BH aren't as visual as I'd like, but I was able to figure them out up this point, so if I can do, I bet anyone can,lol.

Haven't gotten to the windows yet, but pretty sure they're unmovable.

I was worried that this might be too much house for me, but I think if you really want something, you should go for it...I'm just going slowly and trying to do things the best I can.

Good luck :)

Becca--

So far, I have found the instructions to be fairly self-explanatory. There are a few pictures along the way.....not an overabundance, but enough for you to figure out what the heck you are doing. If all else fails, either read the instructions 10 times until you get it (I have done that!!!) or, you can call Greenleaf directly (their phone # is listed on the instructions). So far I have not had to do that, luckily. At first, looking at the instructons before I even lifted a finger, I thought, "what have I gotten myself into?!?!?" After all, this is my first house and I certainly have no idea what to do!!! But it hasn't been that bad. Besides, if Cathy and I can do it, we are POSITIVE you can too :)

In my opinion, the best thing you can do if you have a problem or are stuck, is post your question/problem/complaint here on the forum and see what people say. Check all my posts....I've done that. And the wonderful people have responded to my post and helped me and solved my problem. And they helped me see that it's just a dollhouse.....not brain surgery!! You can figure it out eventually.

Anyway. Sorry to keep rambling. If you do choose to do the Beacon Hill for your next project, I know you will love yours as much as I love mine. And I would be happy to help you along the way.

I'm working on Garfield, not Beacon Hill... but wished I had read all these great suggestions before wiring and wallpapering my house. It was truely a lesson in patience and preserverance. Our biggest mistake was installing stairs before wallpapering..... we were saved only by the fact that I could push the wallpaper VERY CAREFULLY between the stairs and wall..... what could have taken 1/2 hour, took the whole weekend.

We just installed our last light fixture (we kind of wired and wallpapered as we went from room to room)-- which was the front door carriage light. We were waiting for the clapboard to go up-- actually ran that wire down the back of the clapboard and through to the basement-- possibly a mistake, but so far it looks good.

If I had to do all over again ( and, no I will NOT be building another house :flowers:) I would do so with the cardboard templates and place the wallpaper on them as suggested in earlier e-mail-- I didn't really understand this suggestion in my kit's directions before starting.

But, we are very pleased with outcome by two novices.... and the clapboard is oh! so easy compared to wallpapering and wiring!