I really need some help

Anya

Ok I have made a raven he isn't finished yet but are they really THAT big? :wub: I found a description in a book that says these birds are approx 64cms long but is this their wing span or their actual body length??

I have never seen one of these birds in real life so I find it hard to imagine how big they are, are they much bigger than a crow?.

Do any of you know the length of a raven's body or have any photos of one next to a magpie or some other bird, even a person just so I can compare the sizes? I am stuck :)

A raven is large. I found this about them on Wikipedia: The Common Raven (Corvus corax) is a large black bird in the crow family, with iridescent feathers. The bill is large and slightly curved. At maturity, it is between 56 and 69 cm (22 to 27 inches) in length, with a wingspan double that.

Don't know if that will help any, but I do know that they are alot bigger than a crow. :)

This is the only photo I can find that has anything in it to relate to size. The perspective is skewed, but if you figure the fence is probably about a meter high or a bit more, it might help.

Oh thank you all so much. I think I have my raven to scale. It just looked so out of scale because of the size but this is just one big bird I suppose. Although I think they look beautiful they still give me the creeps haha.

Heidii I'd still be interested in seeing the flock of ravens in your neighbourhood, they sound cool.

Oh, ravens are huge! We have so many here since a few years, always reminding me of Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" when they are flying around the house. Before there were hundreds of doves and now the ravens have frightened most of them away. Their noises are so annoying in the morning, I tell you! :ohyeah: And they are messing up the whole park in front of our house.

Sorry Anya..It was bitterly cold and snowy yesterday evening. They didnt make an appearance. I guess they are smart.

But I thought they liked the cold. How dare they avoid the cameras! We had snow too but it was horrible, it was really wet and slushy and turned into ice by morning. I went out today and my hands almost froze onto my daughters pram handle. Yes I forgot my gloves. :ohyeah:

You are so right, Anya, they are hooligans! :ohyeah: Today I didn't see any ravens, maybe its too warm for them here at the moment, stupid global warming... :w00t: But I think tomorrow it will start being very cold here too... or at least thats what the weatherman said.

I know what you mean about them and then cold. Maybe they KNEW they were going to be getting their pics taken and they hid away.

They are a loud bunch. I think there is about 6 of them.

I know what you mean about them and then cold. Maybe they KNEW they were going to be getting their pics taken and they hid away.

They are a loud bunch. I think there is about 6 of them.

Haha they sound like a real gang. Do you know if it's the same birds each time? My mother said that she used to see ravens alot when she was little as her parents had a small farm. She said they would watch her walking around and cackle to each other. It was almost as if they were talking about her. :flowers:

You are so right, Anya, they are hooligans! ;) Today I didn't see any ravens, maybe its too warm for them here at the moment, stupid global warming... :( But I think tomorrow it will start being very cold here too... or at least thats what the weatherman said.

It's freezing here tonight, it's one of those nights where the moon looks reallt white because it's so cold. Well I'm staying in. :yes:

most likely they are the same and maybe some sibs in the mix. They are there year in and year out .And we have lived here almost 10 yrs. I have been in my bedroom for the past hour and I havent heard a peep out of them. I will keep my ears and eyes open.