Cross-Stitch Dollhouse Furniture

Cuppa-Tea

I just wanted to share this really neat book that I borrowed from my mother-in-law. It's called "3-D Cross Stitch" by Meg Evershed and it has the cutest designs in it... including dollhouse furniture. The designs include a sofa, chair and foot stool, a bed, a baby's crib and a toy-box. You do the needlework for the pattern, then wrap it around plastic canvas for support and sew together. What a really neat idea! You can find it online at bn.com, if you want to look at it.

I have a booklet at home for stitching painted lady houses on plastic canvas. I bought all the supplies for one of them but haven't done it yet. Depending on what size canvas you use, they can be about the right size for quarter inch scale.

Meg Evans' book Embroidery Projects in Miiature has a chapter of Xstitch/ needlepoint on plastic canvas dollhouse furniture; that might be a good idea for the Goldilicks Aster cottage mentioned in another thread.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an older post, but it got me thinking... I have a bunch of books for plastic canvas Barbie furniture (& the house!) and alot of plastic canvas. So I could get a bunch of ideas from those books, but what is the "conversion"? Isn't Barbie scale like 1/16, or 1/8? My math is sooooo bad! :lol: How would I go about making the patterns smaller to "fit" dollhouse scale?

Mind you this is for the future and not a project for right away. I've got so many "balls in the air" as it is now I'm getting an eye twitch from the thought of all the projects. I just need to step back and take a look at which ones to compoleete in which order. I'll be doing that tonight! I can't take the twitch anymore, luckily it just started this morning.

To convert Barbie scale to standard 1:12 scale you would need your final dimensions to be half of the Barbie-scale dimensions. (The furniture in the book I cited is for 1:12 scale.)

I've got so many "balls in the air" as it is now I'm getting an eye twitch from the thought of all the projects.

Now just step back and take a deep breath......Organize that is the thing to do.

My lovely little twitch stopped soon after my post when I had a nice cup of green tea. Got a few things done this afternoon and made a list to organize the "balls in the air". *giggle*

Thanks for the tips on the Barbie scale. I think when I get around to that point it will be easy to convert the projects... maybe. At least I'll try!

Just another suggestion-

I've had really good results substituting 24 count mono canvas for the plastic canvas, and using a fine sock yarn for the stitching. The mono canvas is generally strong enough to stand up as furniture, if you don't bend it too much while stitching. A frame helps - NOT a hoop.

Carol

Thanks for the tip Carol! I did some internet searching and found some other great ideas similar to that. I have plenty of time to get to this... I get a bit over anxious and I guess that is why I have so many balls in the air!!! EEK.