I hit the jackpot

IAK

HH, oosh, that's really bad, when there's nobody to recommend.

lawsy.

irene,

i sure hope the serendipity continues to come your way.

it's great that you got such a fun and surprise gift!

This is so typical of this forum!

I've read through all the posts in this conversation & everyone is going :flowers: over the 1/8in balsa wood & no-one has asked about Irene's new countertops, apart from a quick aside by Deana.

So, your granite tops, Irene, are they suitable for sawing on?

Will they scratch if the minidrill slips?

Will the glue, paint, stain, Modge Podge etc easily wash off?

:thumb: :evil: :lol: :doh::p

Jackie

This is so typical of this forum!...everyone is going over the 1/8in balsa wood & no-one has asked about Irene's new countertops,

Jackie, not everyone who likes 1/8" plywood or basswood/ obeche is necessarily thrilled at the prospect of balsa of any thickness, and a granite kitchen countertop is most effective for kitchen purposes if unsawed-upon (scrap pieces of REAL granite, especially large broken chunks are of value as landscape material, perhaps). I'm sure accidental contact with a mini drill might mar that pretty, smooth surface, but I'd think it more likely to snap off that tiny drill bit!

Glue, paint, etc, would be the same cleanup problems they are for people who work with heavy clear glass (recommemded for working with polyclay).

When my DM died the furniture she had that once belonged to my grandparents was about eaten up by post-beetles (I have one small chest of drawers still) but we kept the granite top off of the defunct washstand and I used it for many years for cooling peanut brittle.

Balsa is actually great for making practice pieces for "scratch-built" furniture, but really too soft to give satisfactory results, as I believe I mentioned.

So, your granite tops, Irene, are they suitable for sawing on?

Will they scratch if the minidrill slips?

Will the glue, paint, stain, Modge Podge etc easily wash off?

:lol: :lol: :) :lol: :rofl:

Jackie

Nope after those counters go in I will not be doing anything dh related on them. I have a work area in the basement where I play! I would usually come up in the kitchen to do shingles or something like that. In fact I really wasn't careful shingling the Orchid in the kitchen because I knew those counters were history. So I'm banned to the basement now :w00t:

No offense meant by my post - it was just written in jest

Oh, Jackie, I know & I'm sorry for sounding snappish (I'd blame this da***d sinus infection & lack of sleep, but that's no excuse), I was trying for an FYI of my personal experiences with the materials mentioned. I'm crawling back to bed, now...

Oh, Jackie, I know & I'm sorry for sounding snappish (I'd blame this da***d sinus infection & lack of sleep, but that's no excuse), I was trying for an FYI of my personal experiences with the materials mentioned. I'm crawling back to bed, now...

Holly I know what you mean, my boss came up to me today and asked me about a project we worked on 10 years ago and used the initials LOCA, I just looked at him like he spoke a foreign language and said "Oh yeah I remember that, just what the hell does it stand for" :) ( had something to do with the local something Census something) but by damn I found the file and flopped it on his desk. :banana::banana: It helps that we've worked together for 30 years or I might have been unemployed this afternoon. :giggle: I'm not the happiest person to be around, DDs called early yesterday to wish me a happy birthday and I told them I'd call them back, just let me sleep. :wave:

No apology needed, Holly. I have a very dry sense of humour, which is sometimes taken the wrong way even when I'm face to face with someone! This is such a friendly group, I forget I'm still relatively new around here & you don't all know me 'inside out'.

I just hope you and Peggi look after yourselves & get better very soon.

Jackie