How to Make Your Doll's House Special by Beryl Armstrong

KathieB

Havana Holly mentioned this book regarding sandpaper bricks in another thread, and it came up again when discussing thatched roofs. I want to thatch the Glencroft, so I ordered a copy. I am absolutely delighted with the book. Ms. Armstrong is a recycling guru with a very keen eye for what looks real in 1:12 scale.

The book is very well written, with enough information to push the reader off in a good direction without getting tediously technical. For example, her treatise on SLATES (accompanied by two very clear photographs) in the chapter on Roofing says:

The easiest method of making imitation slates for dolls' houses is to cut them from cereal boxes.

A more effective way is to buy price tag labels -- the ones with the curved end and a hole to hold the string.

These can be used either way down according to whether you want a scalloped or plain tile. The scalloped ends make a very effective ridge tile.

One thing I like especially is that she describes just what characteristics of a material she feels gives it the "real" look and the characteristics of materials that come close but don't quite make it, very useful when weighing the value of materials at hand. The book is very well illustrated with lots of photographs (nearly all in color).

The contents include chapters on

• Fireplaces and Surrounds
  • Wallpapering
  • Doors
  • Floor Coverings
  • Staircases
  • Exteriors
  • Roofing
  • Balconies, Verandahs and Window-boxes
  • Gardens -- Hedges, Topiary, Fences and Gates

All-in-all, I'd recommend this book highly both for instruction and inspiration. :giggle:

and so now you know how to thatch the glencroft?

plzzz proceede and SHARE

always eager to see different styles on the houses!

nutti :)

Of course I'll share! But this isn't going to happen until well into the summer, as I need to gather bags of loose hay first!

I LOVE Beryl Armstrong's book! But the absolute & utter queen of recycled mini supplies is Patricia King; I have copies of Making Victorian Dolls' House Furniture, Making Dolls' House Furniture. Dolls' House Fireplaces & Stoves and Dolls' House Bathrooms: Lots of Little Loos.

I also like to throw in architectural details (like the "holly" parget I did on the pub), which idea came from Joyce Percival's Architecture for Dolls' Houses. She goes into historical and technical detail of what different features were used when, then how to make or simulate these different effects iin mini. There's a chart with color photos to show which roofing materials were used on what range of pitch (roof angle) as well as bricklaying patterns and also simulating stone & rubble exteriors and half-timbering & the infills used with it. Blackened timbers with white stucco was a late Victorian conceit, the few authentic cottages that survive from the late XVIIIth Century have timbers weathered almost to silver and the stucco/ plaster had a pinkis color because the farmer/ crofter mixed his plaster with blood from slaughtered meat animals (usualy cattle) to make it bond & wear longer.

I also like Brian Long's books and I wish I could find more of them in remainder!

I don't have that particular book but do have another book by Beryl Armstrong. The only caution I'd add is to be careful that what you're using is acid free. If not all that hard work you go through will end up brittle and any paper product it touches will have acid burns. It's the only reason I finally got rid of my daughters doll house I'd built from a simplicity pattern almost 30 years ago. The acidity in the materials used finally just had damaged so many walls in the house that it wasn't worth redoing. I felt it would be better to rebuild.

When I built that house, I didn't know anything about acidity in cardboard and paper. Then I started picture framing and learned a good deal about it. It doesn't take all that long for the damage to start either. Fortunately nowadays with scrapbooking so popular, there are all sorts of acid free materials to use.

Kat

Holly, thanks for the additional titles. I can see a wish list growing here. Thank goodness for Christmas and birthdays, although both Lloyd and I are avid book readers and buyers, so it doesn't often take a special occasion to acquire a new title!

I can see a wish list growing here

I have three solid shelvesful of dh DIY books plus almost three more of reference/ inspirational books and I need aonther shelf or two for the ringbound idea and finished project books I make for myself for reference & to show myself houses I've built & no longer have.

thanks for the book recommendations! i'm an information junkie and this is super.

"too many books," uppity ???

surely that's not possible! :thumb: