Lily - I've Been Stuck

jditter

Hi All:

I haven't been to the forum in quite some time now, but I am bringing out the Lily to work on it again. I stopped working on it because I was having a difficult time with the front foyer.

I am finding out that it's hard to put the wiring in before the wallpapering in this area, but can't put the left wall up until the wallpapering is done which has to have the wire in first...uhhh..confusing eah?

Also, what is the best to use for hanging the wallpaper?

Oh and one more thing, how do you wallpaper and have no seams?

Thanks.

I was having a difficult time with the front foyer.
I fussed with mine forever

I

am finding out that it's hard to put the wiring in before the wallpapering in this area, but can't put the left wall up until the wallpapering is done which has to have the wire in first...uhhh..confusing eah?

I know exactly what you mean...have you explored other options than to put wiring on the left wall in the foyer? if all you need is a hanging light in there run the wire from the kichen ceiling to the foyer. one peice of tape would be all you need.

as in the glue? I use modge podge....on the wall and the paper

paper the back wall first with some paper on each adjoining wall than paper each wall to the corner

Linda Cullen has some great wallpaper tips in her blogs! she does wonders with it.

I do best if I allow myself 1 sheet of paper per wall.

Happy Building!

nutti :)

what is the best to use for hanging the wallpaper?
I use premixed wallpaper paste from the hardware store.

how do you wallpaper and have no seams?

It's called "dropmatching", I helped our paperhanger repaper the walls of a 75+year old house we lived in in OH, including the stairwell. As Nutti suggested, paper the back wall and let about 1/8-1/4" of the paper wrap around the corner onto the adjacent wall on each side. Carefully matche the pattern/ piece of pattern on the new sheet to the pattern that's there and trim off the excess at the top & bottom of the new sheet and then paste it up on the adjacent wall, beginning in that far dorner and again patching all your pattern elements. Do this on both sides. After your paper is thoroughly dry you can cut out the windows & doorways, I usually trim about 1/8" extra to glue the trim to kit wood, not just to wallpaper.

You asked about wiring here is a pictureblog-70-1141604476_thumb.jpg of how I ran my wire for my Lily. You can also look in my blog for more pictures and how I did it. You are right, the foyer has very limited access.

• 1 month later...
I am finding out that it's hard to put the wiring in before the wallpapering in this area, but can't put the left wall up until the wallpapering is done which has to have the wire in first...uhhh..confusing eah?

Thanks.

Good luck with the wiring-- I did not even consider that for my Lily, as it was my first house. Am thinking on it for my Orchid however-- starting out simple...

I use white school glue for wallpaper, which I print out from free websites with high resolution; if I smear it all over the paper, it seems to do fine if the paper itself is sturdy enough. Then cut and fit to match the patterns. Low-tech solution, I know, but I enjoy seeing what I can do... My first try was smearing glue all over the primered wood, but the wrinkling was terrible. Typical newbie mistake, probably.

I also use a technique that I saw "Deb" using on her Lily blog, which is paper everything before assembly-- precutting window apertures and such-- it has saved me alot of grief. Probably not an option for wired houses though.