Fairfield upgrade kit

molmrath

I have the Fairfield kit and I'm anxious to get to work on it, but I had a couple of questions first...

I like the look of the upgrade kit HBS sells, but I don't really have the money to get it right now. So I was wondering if I would need to get the upgrade before I start constructing the house, or can I start on the house and then get the upgrade later? How early in the construction do the window and doors need to be put in? And is the upgrade kit worth the money? Thanks in advance for any advice. :banana:

Amy, I almost always wait until nearly the last thing to install windows and doors. If you're not "into" making your own working windows & fancier doors the upgrade kit may be the way to go (although IMHO without some variety & originality it'll still look an awful lot like every other Fairfield kit with the upgrades, but that's a good thing, too). As to shether it's worth the money, you'll have to ask someone who has built it with the upgrades.

Hi Amy,

Well I'll put some pictures in my Fairfield gallery of the upgraded doors and windows so you can have a closer look. I love the Fairfield :shifty: and the upgrade kit just makes it that much better in my mind. I waited untill HBS had the 50% off sale because I found the upgrade kit a little pricey too. I would buy it again in a heart beat though! I also bought Houseworks stairs for the first and second floors and new porch posts.

I put the windows and doors in last without any problems, but I have one suggestion: don't install the stairs if possible until you have the upgrade kit are are ready to put them in (actually I think there was another thread here recently on waiting to install the stairs untill last but I can't seem to find it). I found it a bit hard to get the interior trim for the doors and windows on in an empty hallway, I don't think I could have done it with the stairs in.

I can't wait to see your Fairfield pictures!

Oh, and if anyone knows where I can buy half inch scale Victorian style gingerbread trim, I would really appreciate it!

-Krista

Fov also has the upgrade for this kit and her house looks awesome!! I personally like the look of it too. It gives the house a new look because the windows are different! I'll go find her link now :shifty:

Here Ya Go : http://home.comcast.net/~fovlet/dollhouse.html

I love the look of those windows. Thank you all for the replies. I think I will go ahead and start working on the house and save up to get the upgrade kit next time HBS has a 50% deal. I probably won't be able to start on it until after Christmas, but I'm really excited about it. :)

I love the look of those windows. Thank you all for the replies. I think I will go ahead and start working on the house and save up to get the upgrade kit next time HBS has a 50% deal. I probably won't be able to start on it until after Christmas, but I'm really excited about it. :)

I can't wait to see what you do with the kit Amy! I would like to get the upgrade kit for mine. I keep going back and forth on the exterior colors. Definately victorian all the way!

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, I got the upgrade kit (thanks for the link, Tracy!) and I'm glad I did. I have very little patience for trim so it made a big difference to me not to have to sand all those little pieces. And painting the windows was even kind of fun. :o

I also bought mine during a 50% off sale at miniatures.com, which makes it a lot more affordable. If you don't necessarily want the Victorian style windows and front door, you can also look at the other halfscale Houseworks components. The different styles of windows are all about the same size so you could use a different type if you wanted to.

And you can absolutely save the windows and doors for last. In fact, that's what it says to do in the instructions if you buy the upgrade kit, but I started putting mine in sooner just to see what they'd look like... they're not finished yet though. I only have the outsides painted, not the insides (can't decide if I want to paint or stain) and I haven't done any interior trim.