How do you age?

jennybee

Greetings everyone,

I have been working on my witch shop for a bit now and have ran into a wall...

I know how to make books from polymer clay and using paint to add depth to the page edging but.

How do you age paper? My problem is partly my printer is not water proof so anyhting I print that gets into anything wet makes the ink bleed. But i was thinking maybe I could treat the paper before hand then print on it.

So my question to any of you is how to do age your paper?

What techniques do you use?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice :)

Took the words right out of my brain! After you print it spray some sort of matte acrylic sealer over it and when it's dry, wad it up and then iron it, for a REALLY old look.

Thanks, I've always wondered why someone gave me an iron for a Wedding Gift 28 years ago - now I know what I'm supposed to use it for!! :giggle:

Thanks for the great ideas. This was a really good question.

-Susanne

I've always wondered why someone gave me an iron for a Wedding Gift

Oh, come ON! Susanne, you know perfectly well you use it block mini needlework, and to heat-set the ink when you print on fabric, and to melt the crayon wax into the paper to make stained glass, & to press seam allowances on the mini doll clothes... Irons are useful things when used properly.

• 1 month later...
Took the words right out of my brain! After you print it spray some sort of matte acrylic sealer over it and when it's dry, wad it up and then iron it, for a REALLY old look.

Wow, hadn't heard this one before, will have to give it a try.

Kat

Many years ago, I decided it was much easier to take my cloths out of the dryer right away and get them put away so I wouldn't have to iron. Hubby irons more than I do. I told him if he didn't hang things up right away he could just do them himself. I hate to iron. I used to have to do it for 6 brothers, myself and my Mom ironed everything including underwear and pillow cases.

Kat

Many years ago, I decided it was much easier to take my cloths out of the dryer right away and get them put away so I wouldn't have to iron. Hubby irons more than I do. I told him if he didn't hang things up right away he could just do them himself. I hate to iron. I used to have to do it for 6 brothers, myself and my Mom ironed everything including underwear and pillow cases.

I'm with you, Kat. Long ago I started folding or hanging clothes right from the dryer. If I miss the end of the drying cycle, I just toss in a damp washcloth and tumble a few more minutes to get the wrinkles out. :D

Yes, I was going to say the tea staining also. I also use tea to stain linens also. It comes out a pretty aged color.

Geez! I hate to iron. Used to do it for a neighbor as a teenager. (and yes, I even ironed their underwear -?) I usually use my iron to put the end trim on countertops and that's about it. Now I have more uses for it. Gotta go look for it.