Bad Wood or Paranoia?

Blondie

Hi all. I am looking for advice. Tonight I was working on the Mansard roof for my Beacon Hill. There are a number of support pieces that go inside the roof. From what I gather, they are not seen after you assemble the rest of the roof.

The sheet that they came from was particularly brittle. The pieces were really hard to get out and everything was snapping and cracking. I have not had this problem at all with the other sheets so far--just this one. When I got all of the pieces out and sanded the edges, I noticed that chunks from the top are gone and there is some damage on some of the backs.

Do you think this will be a problem in the future? My first instinct was to just put them in anyway and not worry about it. But then I thought I should probably ask for advice before proceeding. Do you think any of these pieces will cause a problem for the structure?

The pictures show the pieces from the side--you can see the little bits missing from some but not others. Then I show the back of some of the pieces and the sheet they came from. Thank you for your help!

post-1461-1165464557_thumb.jpg

post-1461-1165464581_thumb.jpg

post-1461-1165464601_thumb.jpg

That does look bad. First of all if a piece is doesn't punch out easy, continually score the lines with an xacto or carpenters knife until it freely comes out.

Where the gaps in the wood are, can they be filled with wood putty? Or maybe glue a scrap piece in between the pieces.

That's all advice I can give you, cause I've sworn never to do another Mansard roof, others have had no problem, but I had to torture mine into shape. (Holly, don't yell at me for mentioning this once again :) )

Some of my pieces were like that but not as bad as yours. Actually it wasn't the mansard roof part it was most of the pieces for the windows.

Wood is natural. They're like snowflakes, not one is alike.

Hi, Blondie,

I find the wood easy to work with. But, the one problem I had was with one of the sheets. I was working on my Fairfield, and the sheet with the front porch and the window trim was splintered along the edge. I was concerned the pieces would break apart as I used them. I called that Greenleaf number and they sent me a new sheet right away.

Thanks Greenleaf! And thanks, Dean! I knew you would be there when I needed help.

Nancy

(Holly, don't yell at me for mentioning this once again :) )
Me yell? No, no; not everyone is as patient as I :D (who "coaxes" roofs that are supposed to curve with a few gentle taps of my hammer; DH says it looks like I'm killing the poor house, but I'm just beating it into submission!)

Do you think this will be a problem in the future?

Since you're getting new replacements this suggestion is moot, but if you used lots of glue on the supports they'd probably work just fine, or you could have cut new ones from the better wood scraps from the kit (or craft sticks). Since the supports won't be seen All you need is something for the mansard to stick to so it will STAY nicely curved.

Hey there and sorry about the problems honey!

Those look to be the pieces that goes to the dormer windows in the masard roof, am I right? When you get your new parts, this is how I did mine for the Beacon Hill, I scored around the WHOLE group of those small parts (just the outside part so they would pop out) and bent them into shape (Something like kirting), keeping them together but bending them to fit over the roof of the dormer withoput seperatig them. It was easier than putting each strip on one at a time and the parts all fitted correctly with no hug gaps though I did put spackle on it after the glue dried so that there would be a smoother look to it when I painted them.

Hope this helps :)