Hello from north Georgia - embarking on a Lawbre Shadow Cliff

Vic Win 58

My name is Nancy and I live in north Georgia (Cherokee Co).  I was born and raised in Alaska and saw my first dollhouse (front opening federal) when I was 5.  My aunt built it from a kit for my cousin.  I was obsessed ever since!  We were dirt poor, but my dad ordered a kit from the Sears catalog when I was around 9.  I don’t know what brand it was, but the sheets we popped the parts out of were much thinner than a Greenleaf kit.  My dad and I put together some of the main walls and then he got busy with life on an Alaskan farm. I played dolls in that partial dollhouse for several years until we moved into town. It never made the move.

A decade later I got a job with the government and was transferred to Chicago. As I drove to work, I saw a dollhouse shop and almost drove off the road.  I eventually bought the Real Good Toys Greenacre front opening Victorian farmhouse.  I worked on it everyday after work.  That was 20 years ago.  It is mostly complete now and my husband’s grandchildren argue about who will inherit it one day.  

I have recently started getting back into miniatures and have started on a Greenleaf Willowcrest.  I also bought kits for a RGT front opening Federal,  a RGT Newport, a Greenleaf Pierce and recently found a RGT Federal Victorian (front opening NC-274) that was discontinued before they could make instructions for it. It uses the instructions for the original Federal NC-174.

This past week, on Facebook Marketplace, I stumbled upon a Lawbre Shadow Cliff Queen Anne Victorian shell (unfinished) with boxes of finishing components they purchased with it.  They wanted $200 with local pick up only.  When I contacted them, they said a lady was coming by the next day to look at it, but if she didn’t buy it then it was mine.  I cried all night knowing they wouldn’t pass up a chance on a Lawbre.  When I checked in with the seller 24 hours later, she said they waited for the buyer for hours and she didn’t show up. I can’t believe it’s mine!  My husband and I are driving our RV to go get it today. I am beyond excited! I have lurked on this forum for years, but will probably be asking questions a lot here soon. I will need all the expert advice I can get!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Nancy, and ask all the questions you want.  Aren't Lawbre houses 1:16 scale?

Thank you! I thought the Shadow Cliff is 1:12 scale. I will be able to confirm when we pick it up tomorrow morning. We just arrived at the RV park for the night.

17 hours ago, aggiemae said:

What a great find. Some Lawbre windows are $100.00 each. Welcome. Please come back and post photos. 

Thank you! I tried to take an inventory of the parts last night and some windows and other items are missing. Hopefully I can find everything that matches.  According to the paperwork, the shell was built in December 6, 1985.

Welcome, Nancy!  I look forward to seeing your photos.  I'm not that familiar with Lawbre, so my jaw dropped when I saw a photo of the Shadow Cliff --

https://lawbre.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=22&chapter=20

What a treasure -- lucky you!

The folks here are very friendly and helpful, so just jump right in!

Lawbre used to sell the windows on their website. They are standard 1:12 dollhouse size- white resin have real glass and are easy to clean- but hard to find. If all the windows to match you could replace them with a wood brand. 

• 2 months later...