The Bellingham Farmhouse

Anya

My Bellingham farmhouse arrived the other day and of course I cannot wait to start on it but I am not very knowledgable on this type of house as they are so different from the English farm houses.

First of all what era are these houses from and what are the interiors like? I would like to put beams on the celings of mine but would this look a bit odd or do the real houses have beams?

Are the walls brick, plaster or wood and what kind of bathroom suite would it have? I would love to put a stone effect on the walls if that wouldn't look too out of place.

I want this house to look as much like the real thing as possible when it comes to the decor so any info or pictures of real American farmhouses would be much appreciated. I tried searching google but I can't find enough about these types of house.

If the farmhouse was in New England (NE US) it was probably stone. Where lumber was plentiful at hand, clapboard (which may already be milled into the outer walls). Same thing with roofing, which could have been slates, tiles or wooden shingles or tin sheeting.

You're aware that with a few exceptions US dollshouses are open in back?

Here is a description of a typical New England farmhouse:

New England Farmhouse

Key Distinguishing Characteristics

This is a simple, box-shaped house. The traditional material for the exterior siding is white clapboard. A steep pitched roof is used to shed heavy snow.

Other Distinguishing Characteristics

Central chimney used to support the frame

Two square rooms on each floor is the typical layout

Interior layout is poor by today’s standards

I took it from Wright Kelly New England Farmhouse which includes pictures and has other types of houses.

Many NE farmhouses have the wood beams but the foundations are usually stones and they have stone walls around them instead of wooden fences. We always find stones in our gardens here still.

The walls are a mix of wood and plaster--at least in the ones I have lived in or visited.

Hope that helps.

Carrie

If the farmhouse was in New England (NE US) it was probably stone. Where lumber was plentiful at hand, clapboard (which may already be milled into the outer walls). Same thing with roofing, which could have been slates, tiles or wooden shingles or tin sheeting.

You're aware that with a few exceptions US dollshouses are open in back?

Yes I prefer the open back ones as I have the Beacon Hill. Wow how many doll houses do I have from the US now? The Bellingham, Beacon Hill, San Franciscan, Buttercup, Queen Anne, Ashley, Sweetheart, Winston Cottage, Orchid and I can't remember the rest haha.

Carrie/Havanaholly would you agree that the Bellingham is New England style? I was looking at houses from there and it seems to look that way. Maybe I am wrong.

I have so many ideas for this house I will take away with wall divide from the lounge to the hall and make the hall and lounge open plan. I think I'll get rid of one of the wall divides in the attic too and make more room there. I think beams would look great in this house.

Anya, I think it would look outstanding if you give it an English flair, anyway! I definitely ting go with beams downstairs, you can hang utensils and food stores from them in the kitchen and a quilting-frame from them in the parlor.

Most older new england homes do have a stone foundation (mine does) and stone walls around the outside..(stones are perennials in our gardens)..

Yes, you will find wood beaming. Plaster wallboard (horsehair!), wide plank flooring.

Oh great I always wanted to put beams in a house I will definitely be adding those. So these houses don't usually have beams upstairs, what about the attic?

Heidi so do you live in a farmhouse? I always wanted to live in one but what's this about horse hair?

Does your house have an original fireplace and do you still use it?

Bonsaikathy as soon as I get started (My husband said I cannot start on this dollhouse until I finish the Beacon hill haha) I will post you pics of the building process if you want. :ohyeah:

Oh great I always wanted to put beams in a house I will definitely be adding those. So these houses don't usually have beams upstairs, what about the attic?

Heidi so do you live in a farmhouse? I always wanted to live in one but what's this about horse hair?

Does your house have an original fireplace and do you still use it?

No, Anya I do not live in a farmhouse. I live in a 1903 Colonial that is built in a old whaling city. From what I can gather from older neighbors, my house had a terrible fire in the 1970s.. They said they saw the flames on the second floor. The fire had started in the basement. So that means it was gutted. There is nothing left of the original interior and no one has photos of what it looked like.

In New England and probably elsewhere, I have read that they used horse hair for insulation of the walls (horse hair was also used to stuff furniture). My friend lives in a older house than I do and you can see the hairs in the plaster. I dont think this house ever had a fireplace because the chimney is directly attached to the furnace...but I could be wrong.

BUT....there is alot of old farm homes in and around me and I have seen the insides of many. I have books with pics in them from this area. Give me a lil time to find the books and scan the pics for you. I will make a gallery page for it..

BUT....there is alot of old farm homes in and around me and I have seen the insides of many. I have books with pics in them from this area. Give me a lil time to find the books and scan the pics for you. I will make a gallery page for it..

Good idea. I just scanned in some pictures from a couple of those pictorial history books about the towns that are so popular. My dh loves history. Check out my gallery for the pictures.