Victorian Ideas Please!!!

andrea

I could really use some help with my new house. I want to design it using the old Victorian theme. However, I know there are 2 era's (1890's and 1920's). If anyone has any pictures of their house and rooms could you drop me a link so I can check out your pictures and get some ideas. I would love to see what others have done with their houses! Thanks, I appreciate it ahead of time. :bounce8:

Here are some links to the Victorian Era:

This is the home page

This is there living room

Wallpaper designs

This one may interest you & This too

This one is nice also

hope this helps you get started!!

This is a Good site for Victorian wallpaper:

http://www.brodnaxprints.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=29

Here's a resource I like to use:

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/

Add a keyword, like kitchen or parlor

Click "show only those with digital images"

Uncheck everything except Photographs

Enter search critera, like 1890 to 1900

Lots of photos to look at, I find particularly interesting the way they decorated the walls and the use of curtains (drapes) in doorways, etc.

They sure like gaudy, didn't they?!

I decorated my Country Victorian about 1910 and the Sunshine Cottage ( the white house) about 1900.

You really need to decide who lives in the house and where they live. The victorian era in England was different then in America. The north was also very different from the South. City or rural would determine if they had plumbing or even gas lighting. While the middle class was begining to emerge there was still a big difference between them.

Also it depends on the persons tastes. The art deco era started about 1910 to 1915. Only a very few people really decorated that way though. Also most people would not be able to completely redo a house when a new fad came so you could have several eras in the same room.

I could really use some help with my new house. I want to design it using the old Victorian theme. However, I know there are 2 era's (1890's and 1920's). If anyone has any pictures of their house and rooms could you drop me a link so I can check out your pictures and get some ideas. I would love to see what others have done with their houses! Thanks, I appreciate it ahead of time. :bounce8:

Another way to do it is to pick a specific date. That way anything older can go in the house but nothing newer. Most homes are a mix of styles. How old are the people that live in your house? How long have they lived in the house? A gramma's house is going to have furnishings from several decades while a newlywed's home will have mostly recent things with maybe a few older pieces thrown in.

Kathy

Check some of Grazhina's links, she has compiled pictures from different periods in history to get decorating ideas. The 1920s weren't Victorian any longer, I think her son Edward was on the throne by then.

Andrea, the Victorian period covered 1837 to 1901 (think Queen Victoria). The Victorian's in the early to mid 1800's pretty much had no plumbing or electricity (they had gas lighting). The Victorian's in the late 1800's to early 1900's had one or both. Then you have the Edwardian period which was 1901 to 1910 (think King Edward VII). Plumbing and electricity were pretty common by then.

You can take a look at the pictures of my Beacon Hill at the links I've provided. I've decorated it in the Edwardian period style. Keep in mind . . . my house was found in the trash, so in some cases I had no choice as to painting or staining (I would have liked to have stained the staircase a rich walnut like the flooring). Oh well, small price to pay!

Good luck with your project and I can't wait to see your pictures!! :bounce8: