The Pierce Dollhouse

Brittney

I haven't found a truly stainable wood putty, and in my experience the best wood filler is what I make mixing my clean sawdust with a couple of drops of wood glue and just enough stain to match the surrounding wood.  If it were me I would go with the floor in your photo.  Once the stairs go in on a dry fit I would figure out how paneling the staircase will cover the patch and plan for a hall table to go there, or a rug or carpet to cover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brittney said:

What's the best stainable putty? I feel like if started over it will still have the meet up spots in the front... Thanks for the advice!!

I think it depends. I used DAP plastic wood filler. It took the American Walnut stain as well as the popsicle sticks. But when I used it on the jumbo sticks and natural wood stain it doesn't accept the stain as well. So test on scraps first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brittney said:

What's the best stainable putty? I feel like if started over it will still have the meet up spots in the front... Thanks for the advice!!

Even putty designated as stainable does not take stain the same way as wood. It will stand out like scabs on a scraped knee.

I've decided to cut up the wood that I laid down by the stairs to the front door and lay another piece down that's correctly measured and put strip of wood over to part where they meet if I don't like the meet up, I'll sand it and stain all of the floors this way I don't have to worry about maricopa filler and stain... wish me luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to ask what y'all do for the bathroom and bedroom on the second floor with the crazy walls, they don't go straight up they're slanted.... I want to put trim I got the wallpaper up overlapping this land but how do you all make it to put trim??

I talked to some residential carpenter friends of mine. It can go either way as it is a design choice. You can treat that part of the ceiling like a wall or like a ceiling. Most often it is treated like part of the ceiling. For me i am going to paint it to match the ceiling and im debating how to trim it. I might plaster it and not trim it, or trim it along the bottom. I'm not sure yet. There are other pierce albums that show how other people did it in this forum. I think it's worth the time to look at those too. I have been. Hope that helps.

I've been digging in members gallery. Look for NellBell pierce Dragon Fairy House. Elsbeth pierce. It's as far as I got. Oh and I think wyckedwood did a pierce too. Shareb, Kathie B. They are out there. You just have to dig through archives. I'm headed to spend quality time with my little endeavor now!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When I did the wallpapering in my Pierce bedroom I made templates out of paper (including the bump out areas, which I then transferred onto cardstock.  I applied the wallpaper (scrapbook paper in my case) to the cardstock with spray adhesive, and then I glued the cardstock with wallpaper onto the walls with regular wallpaper paste.  It took a lot of trial and error to get those paper templates to fit exactly.  

The trim was a whole other issue.  I kept forgetting which side I had decided was up and cut SO MANY pieces of trim wrong.  After lots of swearing (and maybe some drinking) I finally got all the pieces cut correctly and glued together.  I then touched up the corners with latex wood filler and painted the whole thing in one piece before gluing in.  It's definitely finicky work, but now that I look at it I think it was worth all the headaches.

6 hours ago, Tigpuppy said:

When I did the wallpapering in my Pierce bedroom I made templates out of paper (including the bump out areas, which I then transferred onto cardstock.  I applied the wallpaper (scrapbook paper in my case) to the cardstock with spray adhesive, and then I glued the cardstock with wallpaper onto the walls with regular wallpaper paste.  It took a lot of trial and error to get those paper templates to fit exactly.  

The trim was a whole other issue.  I kept forgetting which side I had decided was up and cut SO MANY pieces of trim wrong.  After lots of swearing (and maybe some drinking) I finally got all the pieces cut correctly and glued together.  I then touched up the corners with latex wood filler and painted the whole thing in one piece before gluing in.  It's definitely finicky work, but now that I look at it I think it was worth all the headaches.

I'm trying to deal with those bump outs too. I did not know swearing and drinking were key to success. I'm going to get right on that. Hahaha! It came out great!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Medieval said:

I'm trying to deal with those bump outs too. I did not know swearing and drinking were key to success. I'm going to get right on that. Hahaha! It came out great!

You have obviously never read any of my "getting started" replies to newcomers' questions.

• Like 1