Glue for Shingles

Florie

Hello,

I am trying to glue miniature fish scale shingle strips to my dollhouse roof using Titebond Premium Wood Glue but as it dries the shingles start to buckle. I have even tried using painters tape to tape down each row and letting it dry before moving on - this did not work either.

I’ve seen other posts where people use hot glue but I’m afraid that over time the hot glue bond will not be strong and the shingles will fall off.

Please help with any suggestions! 

I use Titebond.  After every three or four rows I lay a piece of waxed paper over them and clamp a piece of scrap wood across them to dry.  I have also used just tape; the shingles usually flatten out as the glue dries.  For nearly 20 years I lived in a house with cypress shakes and over time the elements cause them to warp & ripple far more than the glue does.

• Thanks 1

If you use caulk that does not contain water (I’ve had great success with Liquid Nails #LN-601) you’ll be all set, no clamping/smooshing/pressing required. Any water clean-up adhesive, or glues containing water will cause the shingles to curl and buckle. Hope this helps! 

• Thanks 1

Common sense tells us that the more glue is used, the more water can seep into the shingle, and the more likely the shingle will buckle. The entire backside of the shingle does not need to be smeared with whatever glue is being used. A thin bead or even a few drops will do the job. Shingles are not subject to the structural strains of joints. In the case of gluing shingles, less is definitely more. Or as the old Brylcreem ad said, "A little dab 'll do ya!" :) 

• Thanks 1

I use a combination of hot glue and Aleene's tacky glue (hot glue in a few spots to hold it instantly and a bead of tacky glue so that it has a better hold over time), then hold them in place with blue tape and mini spring clamps, depending on which part of the roof I'm on.