urg! changing direction...

wonderwizzy

post-119-1123720787_thumb.jpg

Having spent a good three or four weeks cleaning, repairing, curtaining and repapering this cheap but sturdy ebay dollhouse.... it looks just super for the antique dolls I was intending to put in there.... but now I've changed my mind and I'm totally regretting how much time I've put into doing all the fiddly wallpapering (which is silly because I could just as easily spent the time reading a book or sunbathing or watching television while eating bonbons)

post-119-1123720736_thumb.jpg

I've decided that if I keep it I shall have to start again and make it a psychedelic sort of house because the only space I have for it is in my studio, which is all bright artwork and whimsy, and the dolls that would live in it would also be bright and whimsical.

Does anyone else get all the way through the hard part (backwards facing stairs are not easy to paper!) and realize they've gone in completely the wrong direction?

It might even be easier for me to simply sell it and find another derelict property on ebay to mess with. Oh I hate when this happens!!!

Wizzy

Does anyone else get all the way through the hard part (backwards facing stairs are not easy to paper!) and realize they've gone in completely the wrong direction?

That would be a resounding "YES". I have restarted my Thornhill more times than anyone could imagine. Every room and the exterior has gone through approximately five transformations and I'm still not done. At least you are working on a small house :lol:

Who. I do it wrong? Well, let me think ... hmmm ..... :lol: :D :lol: :o :o :o :o

;)

B)

I just quit on My Granville I just could not do what needs to be done.

but as I learn more Im feeling the itch to do something on it.

the staircase has my thoughts at the time. cant wait to see the groovy things you do.

nutti :lol:

I haven't worked on many dollhouses to have had this particular problem, but I've gone through many other projects, time and money only to discover that it wasn't for me! Oh the money I could have had to spend on miniatures had I only found out I loved it all those years ago . . . :lol:

Wizzy, I have done that numerous times! The Newburg we built, I had already painted the exterior and the trim (not hard to change at that point) but I also installed the windows. Then I decided the paint was too dark and it had to change ... New dollhouse rule for Linda--there will be no change of exterior paint schemes once the windows are installed!

I may be way off course here but I kept having the same problems with my wall paper. I repapered the kitchen four times before I found a wall covering I liked. Anyway after the second time of pulling off the paper I had an "brilliant" idea. I was going to put trim over everything anyway so I cut poster board to the size of the walls and then glued the paper to the posterboard. Once I was happy I used wallpaper paste to glue the boards to the walls. I pre punched where I was going to put my outlets because I was worried about the added thickness of the poster board. The outlets went right in with a little tap :lol: It was so much easier that I did ALL the wallpaper in the Anabelle that way.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance that I'm not the only one second guessing myself with dollhouse plans. I really like the way the house turned out because it arrived in a torn box with no bubble wrap, crushed roof corners and a pervasive odor that took me a week of chemical warfare and fierce scrubbing to eliminate.

Most likely I'll leave this one decorated the way it is, put it on ebay and hope it finds a new owner who won't rip out all my hard work because she wants a completely different look! EEEEP! That thought reeeeeeally makes me want to keep it!!!

Wizzy

I use YES glue to glue paper to posterboard. Cover it with wax paper to protect it, amd cover it with a heavy weight until dry. To make the posterboard removable so that it can be changed when I decide I no longer like that paper, I put up the posterboard-cum-wallpaper with double stick tape.

:lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could display it in the living room if I didn't have a curious cat, friends with tiny curious children and a desire to not have the front room look like a dollhouse store.

A piece of plexiglass cut to the shape of the house and attached with those strip magnets that come in rolls would solve the cat and child problem. My father has had to make these covers for many of my parents' miniature houses, thanks to the curiosity of their cats.

The dollhouse store look, alas, is less easily cured. This is why I've been painting larger houses to blend with the walls.

Well, if it were me & I had done such a terrific job rehabbing the place as you had, they would have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers, etc... In fact, I would still keep it in my studio, people it with "eccentrics" and give the top floor over to an artist who could paint all the bright pictures you want.

As for the dollhouse shop effect, I have been fighting that myself. I now do roomboxes and keep them in an armoire.

Bee