Question on Wood Filler

hydroped

Hi All,

I keep seeing that woodfiller is great stuff and I've tried getting and using some but can't be sure if I'm doing it right - I had assumed what I would be needing was a filler that dried hard and could be sanded but when looking all I seem to find is non hardening wood filler <?> That doesn't sound right to me - wouldn't I want it hard? So instead of wood filler I've been using moulding everywhere. What type of wood filler do you use and do you have a favorite brand?

-David

After trying plastic wood, and some type in a tube, I finally found that Elmers Wood filler that comes in a tub works best for me. It's pliable but hardens and I was able to stain it.

Peggi

David, Jimmy uses Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler, and it's stainable, it has the word "interior" on the front, and the color is natural. It's in a tube, with an orange tip, and the label is mostly blue. If you look on our Arthur blog, he gives tips on using it too.

I too am using Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler which as LPCullen stated is stainable. It also hardens and is sandable and paintable, but best of all it's water clean up (if necessary)! :lol:

If it's a problem with a space between two boards connecting in a corner, for instance, I use paintable caulking and after it dries and is painted you don't even know it's there. I like this a lot and have used it extensively on my Beacon Hill renovation. :)

I just got some minwax stainable woodfill but have not used it yet.

up to now I have used drydex spackling which is pink until it dries which I find

helpful coz than I know when I can safely sand and paint.

this is found at Wal-marts.....where else.

I get very happy with the spackle and it really does make a difference for a more finished look.

nutti :)

If it's a problem with a space between two boards connecting in a corner, for instance, I use paintable caulking and after it dries and is painted you don't even know it's there.  I like this a lot and have used it extensively on my Beacon Hill renovation.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL Teresa! We use a lot of caulking too! Especially in those top roof angled areas so that I can have a nice smooth edge for wallpapering!

Thanks Everybody!

Wow what great tips!!. I can see I'll be making a trip to Wallmarts soon to look for spackle, Elmers wood filler and Calking! I should have asked this question months ago!! :)

Thanks again!

David

I used the Elmer's in the tub if you look at the tower on my Garfield there is a lot the wood was so bad I almost sculped the tower with the stuff. Also it dose not dry in the tub like a lot of fillers do , so it will last for a long time