Is this normal?

Anya

I have just finished installing the lighting inside the beacon hill, but I encountered a few problems with structure of the house.

One of the walls on the 3rd floor warped for some reason and it looks a bit bent. The ground floor is well structured, but towards the top, the house seems to have gone out of joint. (the tabs were about half a centimetre out of place on the third floor). Now is that when the wood filler comes in handy?

I followed the instructions step by step, and used the masking tape to hold pieces together so I'd like to know if these problems are a normal part of building this house or is it down to my workmanship :).

B.T.W It still looks very good.

:) Yeah, sometimes things warp. Humidity, heat, paint, or even too much glue can do it. That can usually be touched up with wood filler. I'm not sure what to tell you about the bent wall. Things like that are pretty dificult to straighten out. If it were me, I would probably just try to mask the problem with furniture or decorations.

I had that problem with my Glencroft. The curve roof part kept on popping off. I think it was a mixture of our weather here at the time and using too much glue! It was fine till I woke up the next morning so after a couple of trys, I decided to use a different glue. When I added the paper clay I used wood glue in that area "Just in case) for extra support and it looks like that helped. Yeap, sometimes things wrap and that's when we have to REALLY get creative (so long as it is not at 3am in the morning LOL). :)

Concerning warpage, my suggestion is to hide it as best as you can, a tapestry on the wall perhaps? The tabs not aligning up right happens, always remeber wood filler is your friend. I still have not completly finished the inside of our Beacon Hill, not sure it it will ever get ceiling moulding in it. I do so much enjoy that house. as a side note my daughter and her fiancee will be house sitting for us while we are hiding in the mountains, He does not like to be alone in our front room, he says the doll house give him the creeps. I have never heard of anyone being scared to be alone in a room with dollhouses. I have considered covering them with sheets, but to me that would be more creepy. lol

Melissa

He does not like to be alone in our front room, he says the doll house give him the creeps.

This is so funny. The wee people may come out at night and tie him up. I agree the sheet over it would probably make it even creepier.

Peggi

Melissa, Moving as many dollhouses to the front room is not an evil moe (Maybe a hard job if they are all as big as your Beacon hill LOL). When we move, I'll have a dinning room and I am not going to have a table and china cabinet in there but I am going to display my dollhouses and dolls there!

I have not told hubby yet.....Ha ha ha :)

:unsure: Tee Hee! There is so much fun to had with "scarey" dollhouses! Sometimes, I like to turn all my dolls to sit and stare at my husband. :) Now what would really be funny is to throw a sheet over them and then set the light timer. BWAHAHAHAHA! :lol:

That reminds me of a spooky book I read years ago-- "The Dollhouse Murders." I doubt the boyfriend has read that, though. However, there is one of those "Amityville" movie sequels that features a haunted dollhouse, and it has been on television. If that is someone's only experience with dollhouses then I imagine they could be creepy.

Bee

I have to admit, I do get a bit spooked by my dolls house too. Especially at night when its dark and all you can see is the glow from the street lights through the windows. It's probably just my fault for staying up until 2am some nights fiddling with it and getting overtired.

Beacon Hill looks like a spooky house. It could pass for the Bates Motel, but I love it. :)

Too funny . . . when I first brought my Beacon Hill home off the curb it kind of freaked me out! I kept expecting something sinister to happen! Maybe that's why I left it out in the sun as much as I did doing the exterior renovation, subconscientiously I was exorcising all the ghosts and evil spirits! :)