DIY window's?

lowens22

Sounds like a Great Idea! I would love to hear and see how this is done too. I find that when I get premade doors and windows, I have to take them apart anyway so I won't mess the window glass up while painting or staining.

I have the instructions from my WINSTON that has a diagram of how to put their "working windows" together for my house. It's a bit detailed....would that help. I guess you'd have to look to a supplier(HBS?) for the parts....let me know.

Donna

McCalls Big Book of Dollhouses and Miniatures has directions for making windows for the house plans in the book. They could be easy to modify. I also have the dollhouse plans that used to be free from The Woodcrafter page. Are you wanting to know what kinds of stripwood to buy to build a window? None of the plans I have have opening windows.

Basic instructions of any kind would help. I've never put together a dollhouse, the one's I've had come prebuilt. This is for a 'from scratch' roombox project.

I'm thinking I have to start by making a frame for the window, maybe along the lines of a picture frame that the wood ends are cut at 45 degree angles and glued together. Then add thin strips of wood across for panes and glue them in place.

I think I have a good idea of what I want to do, the instructions are for my husband, he's the one thats going to be doing the cutting.

Susan

Hi Susan,

I've made my own non opening windows - I didn't have a diagram just the window measurements. I just cut my window frame pieces so that the narrow end of the miters were the length of the bare window openings then glued them in place. For the glass panes I use overhead projector transparancy sheets and small square dowels to frame that in. They look pretty good I think - but they don't open. If you have an easy cutter you can miter them with no problem and get a good cut every time. Here's a shot of one of my home made windows for my caravan:

post-86-1161908151_thumb.jpg

-David

They're fairly simple to make and I have done working ones tho' I've never done opening double-hung windows -- only used the pre-built ones -- but you can make opening casements and I have done those. Basically, just use David's directions but frame them up using the inside window measurement and hinge them as you would a door placing them inside the opening. Then you just frame the opening normally.

BTW I save A LOT of the clear shrinkwrap plastic that comes around so many things these days, as long as it's a flat plan pc that isn't to scratched. Although I do have two shaped ones (that came with things enclosed) that I am saving for bay or greenhouse windows ! Nothin like gettin' it FREE!!!! :D

I think I finally found a photo of something similar to what I 'm looking to make. It's clear enough I can make out how it was made (If I can manage to attach it the photo for everyone to see) What I want to do is add more panes. Either make it wider or longer (or both). This looks like the frame is notched so that the wood making the panes fit flat. I don't think the frame or outer area would be tough, getting the wood cut small enough to fit the inner area doesn't look so simple.

post-1266-1161983948_thumb.jpg

Well, you're going to use one solid pane. So, you don't necessarily have to use wood to divide it into smaller panes. And you're probably going to paint them anyway. I'm sure there's lots of things besides wood to use, cardstock comes to mind. So you'd build the main window, insert the pane and glue the dividers on the back. Wouldn't that work?

All of you have such wonderful ideas! If the wood was already cut I probably wouldn't have any problems putting them together. My husband is the one who is going to do the cutting. I was hoping to be able to motivate him by giving him a pattern and measurements. He usually asks for them :thumb: I think what I may do is order a prefabricated window and let him see what it looks like and have him take his own measurements and make his own pattern. I may try drawing one in a drawing program and see how that turns out. That would help as I can print it out, cut it and put it where I want it to see how it's going to look before I put the idea into place.

Thanks for all your help, Susan

That is a good looking window, David.

Susan, I made a skylight in my primrose roof similar to what you want to build. The pictures for it are in my blog. I just kind of "winged-it". I used a varitey of strip wood. 3/16" square dowles, 1/2"x 1/8" basswood and quarter round. I also made paned window inserts similar to the skylight for my windows. I really need to reload my gallery for my laruel primrose. I decided I wasn't going to use plastic or acrylic for my windows.

Hey Susan -- There is an how-to article in the December Miniature Collector on how to customize glass windows, including making the templates, cutting the frames, glass, etc. This might be just what you were looking for. It's an extensive spread and has very clear photos and directions.

Thanks for the compliments on the windows :thumb:

Susan I hope you find just what you're looking for. I'm sure you'll be able to make them with no trouble. I just made my windows to fit the openings. I'm looking forward to seeing the Dec issue of Miniature Collector - thanks for the heads up ,Charlene :lol: That's not a magazine I usually buy, but when they have a how-to article it's usually worth the price of the magazine for the one article alone :D

-David

Here's a shot of one of my home made windows for my caravan:

WOW!! I guess that if anyone asks if you do windows, you can answer, "Yes, and I do them very well". :thumb:

Deb

BTW I save A LOT of the clear shrinkwrap plastic that comes around so many things these days, as long as it's a flat plan pc that isn't to scratched. Although I do have two shaped ones (that came with things enclosed) that I am saving for bay or greenhouse windows ! Nothin like gettin' it FREE!!!! :thumb:

Ahhh, now I am getting a new idea on how to make my shop bay window, I will have to take a loook at those plastic boxes and build the window framing driectly onto that, I think it might work and get as sturdy as I need it to be. THANK YOU!!!!

Hugs

build the window framing driectly onto that, I think it might work

You can build the frame and glue the acetate to one side and then glue your mullions over the plastic and within the frame's borders and glue it to one side of your window opening, and make a matching frame for the other side. I don't know if I'd want to do mullions on the inside, especially with window treatments, but I think your idea would work very well for nonworking windows such as a large shop display window. I'd love to see how your turns out, Anna.