printable checkerboard flooring

la-dolly-vita

i could have sworn i'd seen someone use a printable black and white floor with glossy mod podge. certainly it is thoroughly possible i am mistaken, but it's an awful lot of detail to be mistaken on - so really, i'm pretty certain such a floor exists. but where? it's more elusive than the white orchid!

so, does anyone have any idea where i coudl find printable black and white checkerboard flooring? or suggestions on how to scale and make my own? prettiest of pleases?

Shelle, I used it in my Mother Goose's Cottage with the glossy Mod Podge. You can view the instructions on Day 2 of my blog in the Community Orchid Construction Blogs.

Basically, I found the checkerboard pattern on a website, copied it and then sized it on my computer to print out on legal size paper.

I printed out 1" X 1" squares. It gave the best effect. Here's a picture post-267-1160970345_thumb.jpg

Quick question that sorta pertains to this...how do I seal flooring that's printed on cardstock? Nothing really glossy, actually one sort of glossy (kitchen or bathroom) and another one with not much shine(wood floors)? Can anyone help with this?

Sorry Shelle...didn't mean to hijack your thread!! :blush:

Robin, I use Mod Podge for sealing all my paper products. I use the 'Glossy' or 'Matte' finish depending on what I'm using it for. Flooring - glossy . . . wallpaper - matte, just to give you an idea.

oh my goodness, thank you so much everyone!

minime, i printed yours and it's currently drying the third or fourth coat of glossy modpodge - i can't wait to see how it looks. if this works well, it's going to make my next project oh so much easier!

Okay this is probably a dreadful faux pas, a mini dont but....

I went to the dollar store and bought a large roll of mactac (the plastic self adhesive for shelves etc) I got some in a tiny black and white check pattern, its perfect and so easy.

So I know its a cop out but I dont have a printer anymore since mine is broken and I cant afford to replace it, so I have to improvise. For one dollar you cant really go wrong!

Robin, I use Mod Podge for sealing all my paper products. I use the 'Glossy' or 'Matte' finish depending on what I'm using it for. Flooring - glossy . . . wallpaper - matte, just to give you an idea.

Okay now for a stupid statement. I thought Mod Podge was glue. I saw it in Michaels and wasn't sure...dahh :blush:

There is also a folk art sealer available in matte, satin and shiny. That is what i use, it does not give you brush strokes. A bit smelly though. Make sure your paper has dried well , you can use a spray sealer first and then apply the finishing sealer for better results. I will go up to the craft room later to get the name of what i use.

Jenn

I went to Lowes flooring dept. & got some cheap, thin sticky-back tiles , full size & cut them down to 1 inch squares. They had a shelf where you could buy just 1 tile, so I got several different colors. You can use a utility knife or heavy shears to cut them. Then just peel the back off & stick them down. You can make some interesting designs using these.

Steve

I went to the dollar store and bought a large roll of mactac (the plastic self adhesive for shelves etc) I got some in a tiny black and white check pattern, its perfect and so easy.
I don't think this is a cop out at all. If it works, it works! :) I had not thought of this, but it sounds like a great idea.

I like this idea in theory, but in reality, I know I could never cut acceptably straight lines. I would have gaps everywhere. :ph34r:

I love to see people get creative with the details of their dollhouses! Especially when they share them with us.

I went to Lowes flooring dept. & got some cheap, thin sticky-back tiles , full size & cut them down to 1 inch squares. They had a shelf where you could buy just 1 tile, so I got several different colors. You can use a utility knife or heavy shears to cut them. Then just peel the back off & stick them down. You can make some interesting designs using these.

Steve

Actually the Greenleaf vinyl mini tiles are just that. Big tiles cut down. I must say they are easy to install :ph34r:

Okay this is probably a dreadful faux pas, a mini dont but....

So I know its a cop out but I dont have a printer anymore since mine is broken and I cant afford to replace it, so I have to improvise. For one dollar you cant really go wrong!

Vanessa, I think that's a great idea!! Whatever works and gives the effect you're going for . . . GO FOR IT!! Remember, mini-ing is supposed to be fun and we can get as creative as we want too!! How many other things in life are that way? :ph34r:

• 5 years later...