Went to the M.E.T. show today

Shy Spirit

It was a long drive, but well worth it. My friends and I were in absolute heaven, browsing with heads hanging over the tables, focus entirely on the little items displayed by the dealers. I bought two stair runners and a couple of little machine-embroidered rugs. I can't resist them for some reason, I always buy these little rugs. One friend can't understand why, as I also love to cross-stitch my own rugs. :D It's a compulsion, I guess. Of course, they were only $2.00 each, so it didn't make too big a dent in my wallet! I found a couple of sweet tea-sets that I will use in tea-cup settings. I'm really happy with a resin (looks like stone) gargoyle. He's a dog with wings. He'll probably grace my Haunted House - at least, that's what he's telling me, we'll have to ask the House if that's okay, when it arrives! :doh: Bought some teeny-tiny rhinestones to make some teeny-tiny jewellery with. (Well, I'm going to try making it!) It was a very lovely day. The weather was good for driving (no more of that snow and hail that we had a couple of days ago), my friends were good company, and I got to drool over some GORGEOUS artisan pieces. :)

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I also love to look at the little rugs. I am trying to talk my son into taking me to the Philadelphia Show. 11-4 It was a miniature delight last year and I would love to return.

Hi Jackie,

Sounds like you had a Great time!! :D I love mini shows - of course I've only been to one but I had the Best time there! I can't wait to see how you do with the mini jewelry - I can't imagine how hard it must be but I bet it will look great on the necklace display stands you're making ;)

-David :blush:

I just found out from a friend that American Miniaturist has a feature on an amazing Medieval Great Hall that I saw in the display area at the MET show. It's wonderful! Lots of dragon stuff, including a fantastic dragon on top of the roof! I won't spoil the story for you (I hope the mag. includes the background story that the creator wrote for it) but you have to see this thing. I don't get that magazine, so I will probably just borrow my friend's one. I'm dying to describe it more ... but you should see it for yourselves. :ph34r:

Hi Jackie,

;) I love mini shows - of course I've only been to one

-David :)

Aren't you going to have a table at a show sometime soon? I'd love to hear about it.

Hi everyone!

Jackie, I was at the Met show too. Wasn't it faboo?

I took a few pics (13, isn't that appropriate for October?)

Then I got distracted by BUYING :ph34r:

Did you see the display of the spring festival? It is a permanent display in the Japanese Centre.I am blown away every time I see it .... Got several pics of that. It is larger that 1' scale, but the variety of the figures and the depiction of life is awesome to me.

http://snipurl.com/z5yx

I didn't take any pics of Carolyn Brown's Retribution Hall, her Christmas Cooking Roombox, cakes or dolls. I am no photographer. Besides, she has a website with all her wonderful work.

http://www.mapleleafminiatures.ca/

minilinda, you took some great pics. I really liked the fan dancer - especially because she was an older lady, and didn't let her age slow her down one bit! Wish I'd taken my camera.

I go every year, and like you, I enjoy the Japanese exhibits.

Thanks so much for posting Carolyn's link. I had no idea she had a website. What a talent. :ph34r:

I put the link straight on my Favourites. I'll be going back often.

Carolyn's work is just gob-smacking!

The dolls she finished to go in the Hall have to be seen to be believed!

She and her husband Robin are such wonderful sharing people. Carolyn says she tell Robin what she wants to do, and he figures a way to do it!

It provokes me that I didn't take more pics - still in the old rationing pre-digital mode, I guess.

The Met show was great- I bought tape measures for my Buttercup; cups, saucers and plates to use when I do a scene with Carolyn's Christmas cake; "silver" Tea service, hat straw to make a hat al-la Hazel from Minis-4-All, , 2 grandfer hands for a doll (I can do the faces and shoes, but hands are too much!), couple of cats ( put 1 in each of my projects...), AM magazine, Chrysnbon hutch - that's all I can remember!

Do you ever come back from a show and think to yourself I spent a ton of money, had a terrific time, but not a lot to "show' - we're talking minis after all!! A lot of plans, wishes, dreams... isn't this all what minis are about?

Jackie, I loved the fan dancer too! A little past her prime, doing her thing, making a living, looking so great, but you can feel the reality is not so magical...

I am a bit juvenile when it comes to looking over my mini purchases. I carefully unwrap/open up/spread out all the little bits and pieces. Then I lovingly handle them, scrutinizing every detail, daydreaming about how and where to use them. I gloat a little. (It just struck me, I'm rather like Fagin, in "Oliver"! Not sure how I feel about that!) Anyway, after I've had a few contented sighs, and fussed over it all a while ... I carefully wrap up, box up, etc. every little thing and put them aside in their little bags. This can be repeated several times over several days, until I finally put them into appropriate shoeboxes, or containers (awaiting their final placement), or mini settings. I'm really hoping that some other people here will now 'fess up that they do the same ... otherwise I'll know I'm really as strange as I sometimes think I am! :thumb:

Aren't you going to have a table at a show sometime soon? I'd love to hear about it.

Hi Jackie,

The show isn't till February and I'm still waiting for my resale license to arrive so I can reserve a table.. hope it gets here in time.

Carolyn's work is just gob-smacking!

Wow you aint kidding! I just followed the great link you posted - I LOVE the Frankenstien and the Dragonslayer's outfit is awesome!! I can see I'm going to be spending a lot of time drooling over this site.. Now where did I put my copy of AM.. I need to do some reading! :thumb:

-David

little machine-embroidered rugs. I can't resist them for some reason... I also love to cross-stitch my own rugs.
I think the machine-made rugs are really irresistible, no idea why!

I didn't see any pictures, just the site for Snipurl...

bit juvenile when it comes to looking over my mini purchases. I carefully unwrap/open up/spread out all the little bits and pieces. Then I lovingly handle them, scrutinizing every detail, daydreaming about how and where to use them. I gloat a little... after I've had a few contented sighs, and fussed over it all a while ... I carefully wrap up, box up, etc. every little thing and put them aside in their little bags. This can be repeated several times over several days, until I finally put them into appropriate shoeboxes, or containers (awaiting their final placement), or mini settings.

Oh, Lord! Is it juvenile? I guess I'm well into my dotage, then!