Shadybrook Cabin

Roxxie2

Another question for anyone who has built the ShadyBrook cabin.  The ends of the walls that are suppose to be the logs sticking out, did you spackle the ends so they are smooth?   They are rough as logs should be but there are the holes in the edges........does this make sense???

Makes perfect sense to me! I stained all the pieces inside and out and left them as they were; if I had had more time to work on the project, I would've spackled and painted the ends; also I would've overlaid half-round over the exterior to make it more loggy. I didn't sand any of the pieces much, as they were very coarse.

• Like 1

Well I realized after I sanded until my arms ached that I could use my little dremel (Perry's comment).   I thought of that also about gluing rounded ends on but  have no way to cut them and I may not even put the stupid little squares on either.  Way too much sanding and work.   I painted the entire cabin inside and out and since its going to be a rougher cabin out here in the wild west it doesn't need to be perfect.  I have to find some plastic for the windows.  I eat a ton of blueberries so hunting down the container lids if they aren't too scratched for the window panes.  

• Like 1

Smooth  log ends?  What about those little wooden "buttons" for hiding the screw holes in furniture (sorry, I can't remember what they're actually called; I've used them for 1:12 muffins, but they come in other sizes)   I'm also trying to wrap my head around the idea of glass in cabin windows.  The ones I've seen had wooden shutters, the kind that swing up like awnings or down to cover the windows, via ropes and pulleys.

• Like 1

Oh In know what you mean about those little wood buttons.  I will get the walls together and see how it looks.  
Of course cabins have windows!   We had lots of those cabins up in the Adirondacks of NY  and I saw a bunch of cabins up in the mountains last weekend.  People live in them they even have curtains and electricity!   LOL   :D  

Kind of a funny story Holly.  We have a friend who is an incredible artist and often shows his crafts at the craft fairs in town.   His long time girlfriend confided in me that he had finally asked her to marry him.  When I asked her when the big day was she said that she hadn't accepted his proposal because he had to promise to put in an indoor bathroom before she would consent!  They live in a log house without indoor plumbing.  
Sorry, off the topic of minis but the story went along with the cabin having a bathroom and windows!   
PS  when I saw them this spring,  she told me that they had installed plumbing in the cabin! 

One of our friends grew up in a two-room cabin outside Marianna, FL and I was describing its windows.  This is typical of many Cracker cabins until the family could afford to put in "winder glass",

• Like 1

LOL  I know the pioneer cabins often had paper or just fabric over the windows.  I can't seem to come up with one more piece of clear unscratched plastic for the other window.  I am going to the grocery store this morning so maybe I will find something there in a container.

I used spackle but I watered it down so it would go thru the medicine dropper. The medicine dropper I used was my sons when he was wee little. It looks just like a shot without a needle. Then I just took my finger and smeared it in the crack.... and added more if needed.... then I took a popsicle stick and skimmed across it so it was all flat. I like how it turned out. The Cabin I did this to was The Shendoah. It was made of MDF and I hated it.!!!

Kellee

• Like 1

I decided to leave the ends rough and also to add beams to the ceiling.  My real house has beams as it is an authentic adobe.  I just like the way it looks.

I am waiting for my EZ Cutter Ultimate to arrive.  I finally ordered one.  I can't live without it!   I also decided to leave the second floor as a loft.  I was over thinking this whole thing and trying to make it larger.  Its a small cabin for crying out loud!!!   LOL  :p   
I don't suppose any of you over think things sometimes????   :blink: 

Well I gave in as clearly this one did not want a full second floor with stairs!   So, I made a ladder and the inhabitants will use that!  The cabin will be the home of a family if bears (if I can find one that isn't too costly)!

• Like 1

Well I gave in as clearly this one did not want a full second floor with stairs!   So, I made a ladder and the inhabitants will use that!  The cabin will be the home of a family if bears (if I can find one that isn't too costly)!

realistic looking bears, or like the sylvanian/calico critters/maple town kind?

• Like 1