The Garfield

HC-130

The more i look at the Forums, the more i wonder what i have gotten myself into!

So far the base went together well.  It took me a minute to figure the base out.  But i eventually realized that the numbers I marked on the main part of the frame, coincide with the rails!!!!  Good God i felt dumb!  I have it all together, the floor is on, and it fits beautifully!  

I am working on the gussets to keep the floor together, and laying the pieces out, the gussets will cover the slots for walls.  This seems like the best place for them, giving enough support for the seam, however it also seems counter intuitive to cover up the slots will that be okay?  

Thanks for the help!

Danielle 

Are you dry fitting as you go, or have you done a basic dry fit of the shell yet?  That plus reading over the directions as you dry fit should give you a general idea; I reread the Glencroft instruction sheet five times and dry fit twice before I figured out that yes, the dividing wall did indeed go in that way, and did not require gluing.

Dry fitting means to put (at least) the parts that youre working with together without glue. Use tape to keep pieces together, its like a dry run...just to get a good idea of how things go together before actually gluing them in place. Don't feel bad for being confused. Ive built a lot of dollhouses and always feel confused until its finished, that's just part of why youll be so proud when you actually complete it :)

I figured out the dry fitting thing by watching some UTube videos.  And it makes a lot of sense.  But then i started the stairs and wondered how to fit each riser in place for a dry fit?  For something like that can i put the main parts together to make sure everything is square and fits into the slots....and when it does I can go back and glue the steps together, just not to the foundation? 

I was trying take but it wasn't staying together and the farther i got on them, the bigger the tape ball became.  Thanks.

You can go ahead and make your stairs and then use them for dry fitting before actually installing them,, since you will want to decorate the walls and ceiling and finish the floors before putting the stairs in with glue.

Some of us make the staircase unit but don't glue it to the house. If it's removable, it's easier to get around behind it to decorate, reach wires, etc. I've not done the Garfield, so not sure if this is a major issue, but you might think about it.

I've posted several times about how I made my Garfield stairs removable.I'm on my phone right now so I can't search well.

It is imperative to decorate that area before permanently gluing any stairs in because you can't get your hands in there afterwards.

Fairly recently there were several threads started about the Garfield and some of the peculiarities its build process have. Do a search from the 1st of the year and it should bring up quite a bit of info for you. Also search in the gallery for others ideas and solutions.

I agree with Kathie, if you can imagine it, you can build/purchase/hire your dream. Good luck.