Furniture size

Gayle

I finally finished my San Franciscan in July. When I started to furnish the house, the 1" furniture seems too big. The bed I made shouldn't fill up the whole room or have the bed posts scraping the ceiling. Is there a rule of thumb about what size to use?

I have a few pieces that are 1/2" scale that look better inside the house but I'm unsure whether to use them.

If a 1" scale house can't use 1" scale furniture, what can it be used for? :blush:

Just like in a real house, rooms sizes vary. That is why I always tell my customers to buy the furniture after they build the house. Don't be disapointed. Can you bash the bed and make it shorter maybe?

1" scale furniture comes in verious sizes to fit the style & size of your room. I would not use 1/2" scale furniture with a 1" scale house unless it's in a kid room to look like children play furniture.

Just like in real life, you have to choose the pieces that fit the room. The San Francisco is deceiving--it seems like a big house because of the height, but its footrpint isn't very large, so the room sizes are modest. Since you made the bed yourself, maybe you can to make adjustments so it better fits the space? Don't be discouraged, you'll find the right pieces for your house.

Jeri

Hi Gayle!

I have an old 1" scale Tiffany dollhouse that has very small rooms. I am finding that the inexpensive dollar store furniture, which is sort of in-between 1" & 1/2", like 3/4" scale, is fitting the best. True 1" is way too big for the rooms--especially in the 2nd story bedroom & bath. It seems that the daintier style furnishings, like Victorian style sofas & chairs, are a smaller scale that fit better than the modern overstuffed pieces. The only problem with the dollar store stuff is the beds are way too short! Hope this helps! Good luck with your house--the San Fran is a beautiful house!

Tappy

I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one a bit perplexed about the scale of dollhouse furniture. I've bought a few pieces that I've had to send back (I do most of my buying through the internet) because when I've tried it in the rooms of my Garfield, it seemed either too big or too small..

I thought it was because I'm new at this, and while I thought I was buying the 1" scale (for my Garfield), I'd made an error! I'm glad..but unhappy..to learn that there seems to be a bit of an inconsistency between vendors.

Quite an education, this dollhouse business! :blush:

Those overstuffed pieces of furniture can definitley make a real life size room look small as well! I like the look of those dainty Victorian furniture!

And as long as you are happy with the result that is the most important.

Hugs

You could also try 1:16 furniture for your San Franciscan, ceiling heights in Victorian houses being on the high side. Venus & Martin Dodge's DIY book plans were all originally in 1:16 scale (my Keystone was that scale) and it might work.