The Fragility of Skin

Violet2Dawn

Well, I have no depth of wisdom for you - just hope and pray you find a solution! Sorry you are going through all this as it can be very frustrating. Hang onto your stuffin' - here's another big hug! :console:

Dawn, your scalp issue makes me feel lucky I just have a persistent dandruff condition. I've tried all sorts of shampoos, those for eczema and dandruff sometimes just make it worse. I'm just bringing it up because the only thing that ever made my flaking scalp clear up totally was moving to Arizona. Then, when I moved back to Pennsylvania after a couple of years, it came back so badly that the whole back of my scalp was covered in a thick plastic like coating. I wound up smearing some thick heavy ointment on my scalp to soften the crust, then I started peeling it off bit by bit. Thank goodness my head just reverted to plain old off and on dandruff after that.

Dawn, have you ever considered a move to the great southwest? :peace:

Oh Grazhina I have moved countless times in my head and dreams. I have been a New England girl all my life. I moved recently to NC when I separated from my exH before the divorce, and I stayed there for 18 mos. It was hot and humid and my skin was no worse or better there. After the divorce was final, I moved back to CT because I was still unemployed in NC and I missed New England. My Dr has often said my allergies would be better in a dry climate, but I love the cold, the snow the trees and especially the ocean. I live on the coast and almost need that connection to feel balanced. As they say....in a perfect world.......

But on a bright note, some of the top sores are scabbing over and getting smaller, the back ones are still the most bothersome ones, but overall there is minimal itching and no pain overall. I think this is a good thing.

I do know about the tea tree oil allergy and have only had a reaction one time to it. We used it as a dog deterrent on the top edges of open trash cans in rooms, and one time as I was applying it with gloves and cloth, a few drops of the 100% strength plopped on the top of my foot. That had a reaction, like a burn. In the reduced % I seem to be okay with it so far. I will keep checking on it though. I am still searching and researching on the internet for any information related to my folliculitis.

Dawn, my thoughts are with you. It's miserable to deal with issues that the doctors can't seem to get a grip on. Like Mary, my first thought was an auto-immune disorder, maybe something similar to Hidradenitis Suppurativa. I have HS and will occasionally develop a cyst or two on my scalp.......but somewhat related to that is sebaceous hyperplasias that I have on my face and scalp. That can create lesions similar to yours which is why it made me wonder if it's an auto-immune condition of some kind, especially since you're diabetic. Regardless of its cause, it's definitely a debilitating condition and my heart breaks for you. The frustration of not getting help must be overwhelming. And sweetie, you can come here to talk about it whenever you like. You're family and we share in both the good and bad times together. If you need hugs and support, we've got your back.

• 1 month later...

How has the sores been doing with your change in treatment?
My mother had psoriasis all over her scalp. It is totally different problem but I sympathize with you. The only thing I can offer is maybe a immunologist (i need to see one myself) and I see Dr Daniella Duke (dermatologist) in Mystic and she is fabulous.