My ginormous dollhouse

Demiguise

I don't have pictures, at the moment to show you this, but it qualifies as not only my first dollhouse, but also my only dollhouse.

My father made it for me, as a Christmas present, 7 or 8 years old (can't remember exactly). He got the plans from an issue of Popular Mechanic and built it in the garage. I remember that I was banned, not only from the actual garage, but also had to stay a certain distance from the door, so I wouldn't catch site of it through the windows. Needless to say, it wasn't a total surprise present, but I don't think I expected it to be as big as it turned out to be. I'd say it's easily 3' x 2' and stands about 3' to the peak of the roof.

Unfortunately, Dad ran out of time to completely finish it. The interior is pretty much done - the walls are painted white and the floors look like hardwood, but the exterior is totally unfinished. He ended up painting the plywood with paint - the roof brown and the walls the same shade of green that our house was, so it would look a little nicer under the tree. There are no doors or windows - just the openings.

Both sides of the roof are hinged, revealing a huge attic space. In the center, the boxed in "chimney pipe" has a piece that pulls away from magnets; I think the idea was to be able to run all the wiring through it. The front and back both open - 2 doors split in the middle, 2 floors, and has 8-9 good-sized rooms (sorry, I haven't actually opened it in a while, so I can't remember the exact count). I do remember that Christmas morning, we put our 4-month old kitten in the house, closed the doors, and have a picture of her reaching through a window to get her catnip mouse. And I know that while she couldn't really move around a lot, she definitely wasn't squished.

Right now, I'm still in the stage of seeing what is out there, in terms of siding, walls, whether I want to electrify it or not, etc. I'm thinking I might do false walls, even if I don't electrify, simply because I like the idea of being able to easily change out colors/patterns. I'm also not sure if I want to go with a particular style or make it more of an eclectic look. I like a lot of different styles, and I'd like to see things that reflect my interests, so I think I'll lean in that direction. Either way, it will definitely be a long project.

Whatever it ends up being, I know that I'll always treasure it as something my father made especially for me.

It sounds fabulous, and what a great gift from your father! I can't wait to see pictures. Once you have 5 posts, you can start a gallery and show us all of his hard work, and the decisions you eventually wind up making with it. :)

Cheverly - Thank you. Once I bring it up and wipe it down, I'll see about taking some "before" pics.

havanaholly - Good to know. I'm pretty sure stock doors and windows will fit, since it was meant to be something that could be finished with items from craft stores. Dad told me it was done in 1/12" scale. :)

...it was meant to be something that could be finished with items from craft stores. Dad told me it was done in 1/12" scale. :)

Well you're in like Flynn, then. Hobby Builder's Supply (http://www.miniatures.com) is the dealer for Houseworks components.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at my house, and keep telling myself that I can't continue to call it "My Ginormous Dollhouse" because what lady likes to be called "ginormous"? :noway: So while I've been working on clearing a space so she can come upstairs for me to work on her, I've been squirreling away ideas on decorating her, as well as thinking about a name; not being a kit, she doesn't come with one.

I've decided that this will be decorated as my dream house, if I had such a large house, rather than the ranch I own. As such, there will be at least one, if not more, library rooms, a craft room, and a dedicated room for "witchy stuff". As such, I was able to come up with the perfect name - Teach den Bandraoi (pronounced "t'yakh bohn-dree"), which is Irish for "Witch's House". It sounds a little better in Irish, doesn't it? :ohyeah:

I promise that as soon as I get her situated on a table upstairs, I'll take some pictures so you can see her.

• Like 1

I've been looking at my house, and keep telling myself that I can't continue to call it "My Ginormous Dollhouse" because what lady likes to be called "ginormous"? :noway:

Ha, so true!!

Looking forward to pics, whenever you can get them. And my favorite holiday is Halloween, so I luuuurrrve the idea of a witchy house. Be glad your house didn't come as a kit, or you might not have come up with such a creative (and perfect!) name. What doesn't sound better in a foreign language, or with an accent?!