Questions about the Fairfield

Roxxie2

I can't find my post where I asked about the half scale Fairfield so I am sorry if I already posted. I have the memory of a goldfish lately. I wondered if people who built the half scale Fairfield thought that it was difficult to work on because of it being small and the angles in the house. Did you wallpaper before you assembled? I have never done a half scale like that, only puzzle houses which of course aren't as detailed. Thanks for your input! :)

The Fairfield has some tricky spaces that you won't be able to reach once you glue the house together so wallpapering before assembling is a very good idea for that house. The staircase in the Rosedale is the same way......once it's assembled you can see it, but you can't reach it.

• Like 1

I built TWO Fairfields at the same time, one of them inside out. I primed everything after the first dry fit and I painted some rooms before assembly. When I paper I usually do it as I build; glue together the shell and paper & decorate the first floor, install the second floor and paper and decorate those rooms, then install the third floor and finish those rooms. Then I tackle the exterior of the house, then the roof.

• Like 1

I can't find my post where I asked about the half scale Fairfield so I am sorry if I already posted. I have the memory of a goldfish lately. I wondered if people who built the half scale Fairfield thought that it was difficult to work on because of it being small and the angles in the house. Did you wallpaper before you assembled? I have never done a half scale like that, only puzzle houses which of course aren't as detailed. Thanks for your input! :)

Roxy, I took the recommendation from the forum to paper first and I am so glad I did that. There are some tiny places that hands can't go.

About what are you working on; cutting up all the egg cartons that I have keep. Going to put it on the Orchid and make her a Steampunk house. I have only one year to

do this properly, my son and daughter want it for next years Comic con. So, my 1/2" scale street of shoppes is on hold for now. Oh, well......

Gail :bear:

Thanks Deb, Holly and Gail. I kind of figured some of the places might be a little difficult to do. Now to find wallpaper. I usually use scrapbook paper but I might have to print out paper. I saw someone's thread today ( I forget her name) on how she did something with the tower roof so she could get at it. I have to go back and look at it again. Holly, that's how I papered the Orchid. I did the first floor walls before adding the second floor to the house. It sure makes it a lot easier to get to! :bear:

Roxy, I used the small 6x6 scrapbooking pads for the wallpaper. It really worked good. The tower roof was what I had the most trouble. Found out later to

make a pattern with for the tower, everything match then. I hope I never have to do another tower.....lol.

Gail :bear:

• Like 1

I think the only room I needed to wallpaper ahead of time was the entry. I did do the crown molding and baseboards in there after assembly, which was difficult but doable. I used relatively stiff scrapbook paper which made wallpapering rooms like the upstairs hall and bathroom easier, because I could cut/fold it into the right shape, slather it with glue, and then slide it all the way back into the room.

Consider any changes you want to make to the stairs and entry before you start assembling! I've seen some really nice changes that I would have done if I knew how back then, like adding a window to the entry, or leaving out the back wall so it leads straight into the kitchen. I recently saw a great idea for modifying the stairs here.

My own posts about the Fairfield are here, maybe they'll give you an idea of the order I did things in.

ps - I'm moving the posts about the Fairfield into their own thread in the Greenleaf forum, more people who have built this house will notice it there.

• Like 2

I found three different colors of pads of the small scrapbook paper on clearance at Wally World and there were four sheets of each design, plenty to paper most of the rooms.

• Like 1

Well I need to apologize to everyone after all the discussion about the Fairfield, I cancelled the order and bought a half scale laser cut Chantilly instead! It cost me twice as much but I have always wanted to build a Chantilly and it IS a Victorian Cottage much like the one I stayed in Pacific Grove, CA last week. Also, I wanted to try the laser cut because it less sanding and pain on my hands. I am just as excited however as I am still working on half scale and a Victorian so I a happy.

• Like 2

Roxy, you will love the laser cut kits. I use a fingernail emery board to sand off the tiny connecting ridges, but there is almost no sanding. I have problems with my hands too, and the laser kits have made a huge difference for me. :)

There is a lot you can do with the Chantilly! I have a lot of bashing planned for mine when I get to it one of these days :D

• Like 1

Thanks Deb! I had a feeling the Fairfield would be too much for me. My hands are finally not hurting from the past build but all the sanding is tough. Do you have to punch out the pieces the same way? Do they splinter and split? I can't deal with it any more I have such pain just doing a little each day. I have never tried laser cut. I have been looking at lot online for furniture. Kitchen stuff is apparently in short supply. I found a fridge magnet ( Acme) I ordered for the stove ( old fashioned). I may have to use the half scale GL kits.

I like the smaller footprint also. I can't wait to try it. I always loved how the larger Chantilly looks. So pretty. :)

• Like 1

Laser kits are easy to punch out. It's vastly different from a die cut kit. And you are working with basically 1/16 inch plywood for half scale. The edges will be mostly smooth except for intermittent small ridges that help hold the pieces in the sheet. The laser cut edge does have some charcoal residue from cutting, but that's not a big deal. I just wipe down the edges with a dry or barely damp cloth. Some people use alcohol, but I found that tedious and unnecessary. You are also going to be very happy with the plywood's surface. It's birch plywood, not Luaun, so it is a finer wood grain, lighter colored and very smooth.

You should not have to do the tab or slot adjustments that can happen with the die cut kits. I find that if the kit isn't going together easily when I am dry fitting it, usually I don't have something properly aligned. I've only had to adjust a tab or slot when I've made a mistake in construction and glued something that can't be undone.

You will not have to fill edges like with some of the pieces in die cut kits. Again, the edges will be basically smooth and it the ply doesn't come apart or splinter, so you are not having to fill or repair edges.

Because the plywood is thin it can warp. Usually this is not a problem and it is self correcting when gluing the house together. But sometimes it is easier to wipe a piece with a damp cloth and "press" it under some books overnight to flatten it. You'll be able to tell it you need to flatten any warped pieces.

The trims are a dream to work with because the edges are so smooth and precisely cut. At half scale this gives you some really nice detail.

You can probably tell, I love the Greenleaf laser cut half scale houses. My only warning is you will be a convert! :D these half scale houses are very addicting!

• Like 1

It sounds perfect and worth the extra $$. I usually stain the floors with just acrylic paint. Can this be done with the wood in the laser cut house? That is the one thing I did like about the regular kits, the floors I discovered could be nicely stained and varnished to look really rich.

Thanks for the run down. I am looking forward to trying this out.

• Like 1

Roxy, Maus Haus has scribed and stained floors. I also scribed and stained the interior walls for the second floor to give that area a rustic look.

It's very easy to do, just remember that the wood is not as thick as the one inch scale kits. To scribe the wood I use an embossing tool with the smallest head. An empty ballpoint pen would work just as well for the DIYers :D

In my Maus Haus gallery I posted pics showing how I did it and my cheatsy tricks :)

• Like 1

Debora I luvz your Maus Haus!

Oh thank you! :blush:

It was fun to build, even though it turned out differently from what I had originally planned. But I plan to do another Buttercup bash soon, or two or three. :lol:

I better order some more kits, haha!

Talk of the Fairfield has got me thinking about taking mine outa my stash and cracking it open... I am in a major "bleh" slump right now. My Brimbles/Medieval Tavern is sadly sitting on my table barely touched.... my Creatin' Contest house has also not been touched in over a month.... maybe the Fairfield will pull me outa my slump.... I worry about opening another kit and then pushing it aside though.

Since I have no doubt that you will eventually be building them, I think you should open as many kits as you want and see which one resonates. I took the lighthouse out of dry fit for now and put it back in a box. I'll get to it later. I just didn't want it taking up space and getting dusty while it waits for attention. See, I'm being efficient :D

I have been running color combinations in my head all day for the Chantilly. I have done yellow & white, blue & white, brown & green, red and white ( I like white trim), gray stone, brick and white.........I am running out of colors! I don't care for pink and purple forget that one. I played in the Sherwin Williams color visualizer. Any other ideas? I am stumped.

You know you have done too many projects when the color wheel seems to be repeating itself. :)

• Like 1