Pierce Build

Hi Jeff, your house is looking pretty good. I like it!. I am planning my next project, my family dollhouse, and it will involve using two separate kits plus a couple of additions. One kit that I already have is a Duracraft San Franciscan 555, but I haven't decide yet which one would be a good kit to complement the San Fran. I am in between an Alison Jr and a Pierce. There is a chance to buy locally a Pierce kit for $70, but the shingles are not included. Do you know how many shingles will you be using on your Pierce? HBS calls for 3000 online, and 4000 on their magazine. Knowing this would help me decide which one to pick (maybe somebody has another idea about which second kit could pair with the San Fran, other than this two that I have in mind). Also, if I use bricks outside, this tape wiring outside will work too? I am already going nuts....thanks for any info and advice! Please keep posting pictures, I am following your work now that I found it!

Carmen

HI Carmen.

I bought shingles and siding from the company, whatever they recommended.

I'm going to have at least one bag of siding extra. Not sure on the roofing yet, was thinking of starting painting those today.

I'm sure wiring on the outside then covering with bricks will work.

I've been using the floor slots to slip the tape wire into the rooms.

The only thing you have to remember is on the outside, make sure the small strips of wire that go inside are higher on the outside.

Making them higher on the outside will allow you to make your connection well above where the outlet will go.

If you don't leave enough height on the outside, you risk punching into the feeder wire and shorting out the whole house.

$70 for the pierce is a great price, I'd get it.

I'll make more pictures today.

Thanks Jeff for the info and tips. I bought the Pierce kit, so it's settle. It will be a Pierce, a San Fran and one addition in between. I will try to upload a picture of the siding that I want, but I don't know exactly what it is. Is a plastic sheet? a masonry kit? how can I do this?

I look at your house and see LOTS OF WORK! is going great

Thanks for the info but that gallery is even more frustrating. Always dropping connections, then broken images.

Very Lame

The Gallery can be a bit frustrating. I find it's best to upload just a few pictures at a time, maybe 5. And if you want them to stay in any order you need to use the "alphabetical order" option - then just put ABC in front of your pictures. Might be tricky after you get to Z, though. :) Also - when you try to edit them at the first, it doesn't seem to work very well. That can be very frustrating! But the way around that is just "publish" them, then go back to the gallery, get to the picture you wanted to edit, and at the bottom of the picture is "image moderation". From there you can get back to the edit screen on the picture. A bit tedious, but it works.

Carmen,

Those blocks in the pic you put up look to me like individual blocks, but I could not find the product online.

Looks like the most economical way would be with this tape.

I think you paint the wood the color you want the mortar, then smear stucco all over it, then remove the tape to reveal the mortar color.

Looks like a tremendous mess to me.

http://earthntree.com/miniatures/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_960_965&products_id=29310

Very nice!! very well spaced. I see your shingles and my fingers ache remembering the hot glue gun! hehehe!

I agree with you, it sounds messy. I think I will use only stucco, since I don't have the technique to do this blocks, but if I know myself well, it will be decided when I have the shells assembled. Thanks for the link!

If you use spackle you could scrape it smooth with an old credit card and then press the mortar lines in with a clean edge of the card and when the spackle's dry, paint it to simulate whatever stone you want your blocks to look like. Or you could paint your exterior your mortar color and cut your "stone blocks" out of the flat part of papermache egg cartons.

With all your ideas I can't wait to start this house!, but I need to finish the Beacon Hill first. I don't have room for 2 big houses at once. I already feel the joy that takes over me when a new project is getting shape, is exciting!

Holly do you know if your suggestions will also work with stucco? I have never done this before, but I am not afraid to try anything that works! thanks for the tips!

Jeff, I'm learning a lot here, so superglue, hmmmm

...Holly do you know if your suggestions will also work with stucco? I have never done this before, but I am not afraid to try anything that works!...

If it were me and I had stucco but not spackle (can't wrap my mind around that idea!) I would most certainly test it on a sample piece of scrapwood. Of course, I'm not averse to making messes so long as the finished product looks good. My last experience with the Magik Brik was a horrid mess because the paper stencil tore when I lifted it off per instructions, and the mix ran... On the other hand I have been known to cut thin strips of painter's tape and that stuff lifts off so long as the spackle's still damp.

• 3 months later...