My mini creations for sale

EEWinters

I am so excited that my little black cat sold!! I hope he likes his new home! I'm working on some sleeping kittens right now but my best scissors are missing so I have to go buy a new pair. I will update my gallery when they're finished and they'll be up on eBay thereafter!

I actually hand make each eye in advance using resin, white polymer clay, and acrylic. The lens effect is the transparent resin. I'm not going to lie, you gotta make about 50 pairs of eyes or more at a time and at least half do not turn out at all, and many of the others don't look right. I make big batches! The Tuxedo cat has painted on eyes though.

Edited by EEWinters

Thanks Elizabeth for sharing, I knew about the resin lens method, but I gave it a shot some time ago and it's not for me. Plus the resin I use kinda stinks and my wife told me to stop using it.

Other method that did not work for me, in case you'll be more lucky, is with polymer clay canes that make the iris, pupil and background, then cut the eye slices and apply a drop of resin for the lens. This allows for more eyes to be made at one, you don't have to paint them one by one. Also I heard you can use liquid fimo instead of resin, I want to give it a try in the future.

I also tried painting the eyes on the sculpture then apply resin for the lens. It was a terrible failure, I had to peel the whole face and redo it.

I used a toothpick to place the resin on the eye, you use a needle or something?

I have tiny ball tools that I use as well as toothpicks and needles, depending on size. I've used TLS and don't like it, it comes out way too cloudy for me but I read that liquid fimo cures more clearly. I tried making a mold for eyes and using silicone but it reacted with the resin and the resin never fully cured so that idea went out the door until I can get some different mold materials (rubber maybe). I've used the clear nail polish, works good on painted on eyes. I love to experiment and find what I like. I'll be trying different things in the future. Once I get a way that I like I can try and make a tutorial if there is demand for one. One thing about the nail polish that I would note is that I personally wouldn't want to put it in the oven, and I like to have my eyes embedded into the sculpture. I'll have to make another batch of eyes soon because I'm kind of picky about the ones I'll actually use. When I do I'll post a few photos.

I haven't made too many people but I made a cool wizard once! :D I have another person started too but I haven't been in a rush. This guy was made from random stuff around my house, I even made the clothes, necklace, hat, and staff by hand :p I'll get more pics soon.

post-58281-0-05007400-1393290339_thumb.j

post-58281-0-85160800-1393290592_thumb.j

Edited by EEWinters
  • Like 2