My second mini knitting project

prariegurl

Hi

Just wanted to share one of my latest minis. I recently took up miniature knitting, and this is my second project. Project #1 is still waiting for me to sew on its buttons. This is from a Buttercup Miniatures pattern.

260928689_e29a8bbbdf_o.jpg

I am waiting for the Frederick, MD show so that I can ask a doll artisan to make me a doll and dress it in my sweater. Sorry my camera isn't the greatest, but I think you will be able to make out the details. I love compliments, but will gladly accept any gentle criticism that may help me improve my work.

Jeri

Thanks for all the comments. I'll try to answer your questions.

My doll will go in my 1920s bungalow. My great grandparents built a bungalow in 1929, which my husband and I lived in when we were first married. The great grandparents and their house provide part of the inspiration, part of it is based on hubby & me, and part fantasy. So my house will be occupied by a middle aged Irish couple--not immigrants but perhaps first generation Americans. They are middle aged and slightly frumpy and a bit behind the times, but sweet and pleasant people. They are simple and unstylish but not shabby.She wears dull clothing and sensible shoes, and has long hair neat in a bun rather than the bobs that were popular at the time. My man is a bit scruffy and perhaps he has a bit of a belly. My man is a hard working laborer, when he is out working, but not so much around the house. She is working hard in the kitchen while he does not much of anything.

Mini knitting took time for me to learn, but if you have knit in real life sizes and have good light, drug store readers and patience, you can learn it. Doing the Aran stitches took two or three attempts to master before I could finish a piece of the sweater, but after that the stitches came much more easily. This was after doing my first sweater in stockinette stitch, which took a couple practice runs also. So practice first until you are comfortable with the technique.

There are several pattern designers and sources for materials on the internet. Most seem to be British, as both miniatures and knitting are more popular across the pond. If you are interested, PM me and I will share some sources. There are also a few free patterns in the internet. The tricky part is finding the knitting needles. I can't come up with a substitute for them, and I ordered mine from the UK. However you can use a medium sized safety pin for stitch holder, and a straight pin a large plastic head serves well as a cable needle.

If you like character dolls, you should see the dolls Annie Allred made for my travel trailer--they are a hoot!

Jeri

I love your sweater--what a great job. I used to knit in real size, but finally gave up when it became harder and harder to find yarn for projects other than for big bulky sweaters. I had a friend from England that did the most gorgeous work, but she would buy her yarn on her trips home. She is the only other person I knew who actually knitted. I learned from a book.

So seeing this pattern in such a small scale, I can really appreciate the work you've done. Give yourself a big pat on the back.