Help Identifying old house?

Jo Cavanagh

Hi all,

I've recently purchased an old 1:12 scale house on ebay, I got it for a really good price. The seller said she bought it at an antique fair when her daughter was younger. I would guess it to be American as it is rear opening (most UK houses seem to have front openings) and I'd love to know what make and model it is to see what other owners have done with it.

I've attached a couple of pics of it, and here is a link I found to another house (the owner of which also says it's a very old house)...click

Hope someone can ID the house for me, I can't wait to start renovating.

Jo

post-58511-0-25873800-1390839730_thumb.j

post-58511-0-57572200-1390839738.jpg

Oh wow! How did I miss that? I've scoured all the dollhouse websites (Greenleaf was my first port of call as I already own an Arthur!). Thanks for your replies. Delesq, I love what you've done with your roof, the aged copper is gorgeous.

It's a great size house, my Arthur is tiny so my daughter uses Sylvanian Families furniture in it.

Thanks again, Jo!

• Like 1

Wow. I was thinking of giving my Art Deco bash a flat copper roof. In the end I decided to go with blue 'slate' embossed tile sheeting. However I found some very realistic-looking copper-finish art card so I will include a 'Chinese Drawing Room' with a 'copper' floor. I've already sourced a Chinese mural panel for one wall; I hope to create a Chinoiserie piece - a chest of drawers painted black and covered with suitable patterns, and then varnished.

Copper is so glorious when it's shiny and new!

• Like 1

I have been frantically trying to find online images of George Mason's Gunston Hall's diningroom's chinoiserie wallpaper, which was a handpainted replica of the original wallpaper, also handpainted. The entire room is painted a deep yellow ("goldenrod" according to the one image of the room I found). When we go visit our son in VA I love to go out to Gunston Hall & tour, the entire house & grounds are so gorgeous.

The lower left picture in the first link, and the second link is a better picture; but you really have to BE there behind the plexi to really appreciate the effect and see the detail in the paper. And yes, the house is gorgeous! There is also a museum at the Visitors' Center. We have toured Mount Vernon, Monticello and Montpelier (Washington's, Jefferson's and Madison's homes) and George Mason's is still my personal favorite!

• Like 1

Oh,I envy you,Holly! My only real bucket list house is President Lincoln's home in Springfield,Illinois before he went to D.C.,just cuz I love him so much,but I'd love to see some of those you mentioned,too.

You know what? We truly come alive in this forum! Such enthusiasm and passion. Such mutual understanding! Nobody says or even thinks - ten/eleven/twelve or more dolls house purchases within a six month period? Cuckoo!

There's no need to explain such excess. Holly posted to me not long after I first joined that I was - here I paraphrase - far from alone LOL.

We get a buzz looking at developing builds. At houses that are alas neglected and rundown, but about to be reborn. We rejoice at every stage of their transformation from kitchen skivvy to Cinderella.

My head positively reels with images of all I hope to achieve for each and every hasty bargain purchase. I love reading about other members' ambitious plans. And seeing the pix!

PS

I finally got the go-ahead to book a courier collection/delivery for the tenement-style house. What a shocker. It weighs nearly 20 kg! Yes - another 1/12th scale treasure LOL. The wee niece who once played with it and who said she was happy it was going to a loving home is about to get a surprise gift from me. I need to find out, first, just how old she is now.