Victorian folding bathtub

grazhina

These kind of tubs were made by several companies from around 1880 to the 1910's. There was even a sofa that opened to reveal a bathtub.

Before bathrooms, it's pretty common knowledge that people used to take baths in kitchens in front of the fireplace or kitchen stove, but people who chose not to have a bathroom, and didn't want to bathe in the kitchen, or have the mess of a tub dragged around the house, liked these tubs that were disguised as some other kind of furniture.

What people liked about these tubs was that they could be placed in a bedroom or even a sitting room, etc.

There's a couple of pictures of the sofa/bathtub in my picasa bathrooms album.

• Like 3

And I'm fairly impressed with your knowledge of bathroom history grazhina. I went through all the pictures and read all the captions. Interesting to note the time line for some of them!

~morningstar~

Grazhina,thanx for sharing this! I have an odd (or maybe not) fascination with bathrooms and the history of all the components,so I had come across photos of the bathtub hidden in a sofa before,but I looove your compilation and will be going back to see more. A series of bathroom roomboxes would be fun!

• Like 2